Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#129103 - 04/02/08 06:30 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: BobS]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Hmmm...how would you 'mericans know Back Bacon...

I guess it's sometimes called Canadian Bacon down there. Peameal bacon is basically back bacon but around here it doesn't always have the peameal crust. I think Irish Bacon is technically the same thing too...or very similar at least. Some info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon

But I'm not sure where they get their figures from. The back bacon I buy has less than 3 grams of fat per serving raw.

Anyhow...I have a convection oven with a dehydration setting (full fan, 140 degrees F). Dries just about anything to leather in 4 to 8 hours depending on how thick it is.

I just put the marinated meat (or whatever) on wire drying racks in cookie tins and load the oven up. Check on it every 2-3 hours.

I make the marinade myself by eye...there's so many jerky recipes out there I do my own thing and it always turns out. It's hard to go wrong with that much Worchestershire sauce wink

The real trick is not leaving it in too long. If it's over dry it's VERY well preserved but almost unchewable...turns to dust when you grind on it. If you're drying food only to use as an additive (and jerky can be used to flavor dishes with amazing results), this is an option. Dried veggies for soups say. You need to be careful with some foods because even at 140 degrees you'll cook some stuff before it dries.

#129107 - 04/02/08 06:36 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: ]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
I guess it's sometimes called Canadian Bacon down there.

I once asked a Swedish guy what they called "Swedish Meatballs" in Sweden. He said... "Meatballs." smile

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#129109 - 04/02/08 06:42 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I have 2 dehydrators. One of those round ones with a heating element and no control. And one that looks like a microwave that allows me to set the moisture level and heat range (up to 140 deg F)

I also have a Fiberware (sp?) Convection oven, but I only use it for cooking.

I bought both the dehydrators at garage sales (at different times) the round one was $5.00, the microwave looking one I bought 2 of them for $30.00 and sold one to my brother for $20.00. I was going to go $15.00 but he offered me $20.00, so I took it. Me Bad…..

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#129110 - 04/02/08 07:06 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: BobS]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Spam.
You can get spam in a pouch these days. It's not the most economical but it's a lot easier to carry and prepare than canned spam.

#129116 - 04/02/08 07:49 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: Paul810]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

lunch = tuna in a pouch - lightweight, light trash - mixed with either hot dog relish or mayo from a tube packet - like from your favorite mini-mart.

pringles or other chips in a mini-pringles can. body needs salt.

apples, bananas - if kept on the top of the pack. wink

#129120 - 04/02/08 08:30 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: bsmith]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I love tuna in a pouch for backpacking.
I love smoked oysters packed in oil...all that protien and fat makes good energy in a really small package...the cans pack out easier too.

One more note about jerky. If you want to make REAL jerky without the heat (heat is bad) put your marinated meat on furnace filters (the paper kind, not the fiberglass kind!), sandwich them all together and strap them to a box fan. Let it run for 24 hours and you'll have perfect jerky.

#129127 - 04/02/08 10:07 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: bsmith]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: bsmith
lunch = tuna in a pouch - lightweight, light trash - mixed with either hot dog relish or mayo from a tube packet - like from your favorite mini-mart.

correction - hot dog relish w/o the mustard! a.k.a. sweet pickle relish.

tuna w/mustard? what was i thinking?

#129128 - 04/02/08 10:28 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: BobS]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
A true minimalist would simply take a tub of Margarine or Butter. Fat has 9.4Kcal per Gram while Protein and Carbohydrates have 4KCal per Gram. Now I know that the real problem would be sitting beside your nice fire with a spoon and a tub of Butter each night! Although after three days you would stop carrying and just dig in.
boreal.net

#129129 - 04/02/08 10:42 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: Loganenator]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
A little along the idea of "Moose Goo" my daughter and I made a snack food last month that would make a decent outdoor trail food.

Last Christmas my 10 year old daughter's teacher gave each student a bag of what she called "Puppy Chow" the kids really liked it and my daughter asked for the recipe, it is:

Puppy Chow

1 - In the microwave, melt: 1/2 a cup of butter, 1 cup peanut butter, 1 cup chocolate chips

2 - Add a small box of Crispix cereal to the mixture and mix well

3 - In a bag or bowl with a tight lid add 2 cups of icing sugar and shake like crazy.

This stuff tastes good even though it looks like dog kibble (the icing sugar kind of dries out the wetter ingredents).

When my daughter and I made this over March Break we decided to double the amount, while cleaning out the cupboards of other open products, without straying too far from the recipe. To the original ingredients we added honey, nuts, multi-grain cheerios, maple/nut cereal and raisins, but did not put in the Crispix cereal (we did not have any).

We pressed the mixture firmly into a glass baking dish and let it set for a while. The end result was quite good, I said it needed more raisins, my daughter said it needed more chocolate!

We cut the product into bars and it was a little messy. It was very filling (and very fattening I would guess), I ate it a couple of mornings while rushing off to work and it got me through to lunch time, no problem.

I think this would be fun/easy camp food to make with your kids that they will actually eat while in the bush; ever try to convince a teenage girl to eat an MRE?

Mike

#129134 - 04/02/08 11:37 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting tip, we will have to give it a try...

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.