Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#129242 - 04/03/08 08:17 PM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: Dan_McI]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
Imagine going camping with no synthetics; no synthetic tent material - canvas, a canvas pack, wool or cotton or leather clothing, silk or cotton underwear, wool blankets, no paracord - marline or manilla, etc.

I can imagine camping with no synthetics; our family has for almost 20 years participated in 18thcen living history events.

Pete

#129243 - 04/03/08 08:20 PM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: paramedicpete]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Unfortunately it's more expensive to do things the 'old ways' these days. I'd love to go into the bush like Nessmuk did back in the day and live there for periods at a time...but that won't pay bills and an ultralight hand made canoe will set you back a couple thousand bucks or more...not to mention that generations of living in the city have left me completely unequipped to do it confidently...but we're working on that one slowly but surely.

#129248 - 04/03/08 09:18 PM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Pete,

I'm with Hacksaw in that I am not equipped to head off into the woods and without some advantages of modern chemistry.

I would guess however that the gear used during such history events is of a much different weight than that which gets stuffed into my back pack. I like and use bedding from natural materials at home, but it would fill my entire pack.

#129249 - 04/03/08 09:20 PM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: paramedicpete]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
I can think of a several scenarios (our team has rescued dozen of people without jackets) where one is without a useable outer jacket (not smart but still the reality). How many times have we discussed someone or groups of people just going out for a day’s hike, it’s warm, so they did not bring along a jacket.

Pete,

I didn't intend to imply there aren't a bizzilion idiots walking around in the woods without a jacket available, but very few if any of these morons would have the foresight to be prepared enough to be carrying an AeroVest.

My post should have been clearer -- chances are pretty good that if you're prepared enough to carry an AeroVest, you have the proper clothes (i.e. a jacket) with you as well.

Jim

#129263 - 04/03/08 10:43 PM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: paramedicpete]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I took the standard class from the group you're speaking of(can't think of the name right now, maybe dive Rescue International?) The Ice Commander suit is fantastic! I started off in '89 using actual survival suits not really made for rescuers but it was a start. I definately prefer the Ice Commander!

#129329 - 04/04/08 08:07 PM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: ]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
I decided to check out the degree of flammability of the typical survival Mylar blanket, the AMK Heatsheet and a plastic shopping bag. This was a “down and dirty experiment” so there may be some less then desirable variables, although I tried my best to keep them to a minimum.

I had 3 silver Mylar blankets from different manufactures/supplies and are as follows (with information on flammability if noted on the package):

Dukal Corporation
119 Lafayette Drive
Syosset, NY 11791
Made in China

HEAT –REFLECTIVE SURVIVAL WRAP
“Warning: Do not expose to direct flame”

S.O.S.
Food Lab, Inc.
9399 N.W. 13th St.
Miami, FL 33172
Made in USA

EMERGENCY BLANKET
“WARNING: Passes Flammable Fabrics Act Test COMM PRAC 1610, but will burn if ignited.
KEEP AWAY FROM ALL OPEN FLAME”

The Coleman Company, Inc.
3600N. Hydraulic
Wichita, KS 67219
Made in China

EMERGENCY BLANKET
No warning on packaging

Adventure Medical Kits
P.O. Box 43309
Oakland, CA 94624

Heatsheets
Survival Blanket
No warning on packaging

Plastic Shopping Bag to act as a control

For each mini-experiment, I used a 1” X 1” piece of the blanket
For the flame source, I used a laboratory burner (open flame), with a pilot light using natural gas.

Experiment #1: Holding a 1” square piece of blanket/blanket, moving at a slow steady pace from 6” out from the flame towards the flame. I noted distance where the material started to deform/melt and at what point it ignited.

Experiment #2: To emulate a growing ember, a glowing red wooden applicator stick was applied directly to a 1” square piece of blanket/bag. I noted what occurred.

Experiment #3: Holding a 1” square piece of blanket/bag, moving at a slow steady pace from 6” out from the pilot light towards the pilot flame. I noted distance where the material started to deform/melt and at what point it ignited.

Results:

Experiment #1:

All 3 Mylar blankets were observed to have the same characteristics – Deformity/melting occurred between ½” and ¼” from the flame and ignition occurred when the blanket came into contact with the flame. No dripping of the ignited material was observed.

AMK Heatsheet – Deformity/melting occurred between ½” and ¼” from the flame and ignition occurred when the blanket came into contact with the flame. Minor dripping of the ignited material was observed.

Plastic Shopping Bag - Deformity/melting occurred between ½” and ¼” from the flame and ignition occurred when the bag came into contact with the flame. Major dripping of the ignited material was observed.

Experiment #2:

All 3 Mylar blankets were observed to have the same characteristics – Deformity/melting was observed only when the glowing wooden applicator stick came into direct contact with the blanket. No ignition or dripping was observed.

AMK Heatsheet - Deformity/melting was observed only when the glowing wooden applicator stick came into direct contact with the blanket. No ignition or dripping was observed.

Plastic Shopping Bag - Deformity/melting was observed only when the glowing wooden applicator stick came into direct contact with the bag. No ignition or dripping was observed.

Experiment #3:

The same observations as in Experiment #1 were repeated.

Comments:

All of the tested materials have the potential to ignite, in this series of mini-experiments, ignition of the material require direct contact with an open flame.

The Mylar blankets did not drip molten material when ignited, the Heatsheet did to a minor degree and the plastic shopping bag did drip significant amounts (realtive to the other tested items) of molten plastic. Keep in mind these tests only involved 1 square inch of material.

None of the tested material ignited with direct contact from a growing red wooden applicator stick.

Users of these products should be cautious when around open flames and should avoid direct contact with an open flame. With care, the products should be relatively safe near open flames and the possibility exists that if burning embers should fall on the products, burns may occur, but no evidence of ignition of the products were noted.

Pete

#129330 - 04/04/08 08:22 PM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: paramedicpete]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Great work Pete!

#129355 - 04/05/08 04:08 AM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I don't know that dripping is as much of an issue is melting onto your skin.

Maybe Blast will know.... ;-)

Sue

#129485 - 04/07/08 12:34 PM Re: A different kind of survival vest [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Dripping becomes more of an issue with spreading the fire I believe.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Ratch, Jeanette_Isabelle), 322 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.