Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#129167 - 04/03/08 03:59 AM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

The ceramic stone from my Smith's 3 in 1 fits perfectly. No point in buying something new when I already have something which works fine. It will also do serrations because of the tear drop profile. Until I find some super cool ultra solution to replace it, I'll go with that for a while...I don't field sharpen often enough to warrant spending anything.

SwampDonkey: The LMFII is a horrible bushCRAFT knife. It's beefy, heavy and has a very thick blade...most of the straight edge is covered with serrations...it's designed for helicopter egress after all. Because of that I haven't been using it as my main carry knife when I'm out in the bush and therefore I haven't been using it very much at all and really haven't put it through any serious bush. I've just started to use it as a light weight solution to leaving my shovel, machete, axes, etc at home. It's lighter than any of those tools and can do all their jobs even if less efficiently...and I would trust it to stand up to way more 'non-standard' use than any of my other bush equipment. It's short for a big heavy knife so it's easy to lash to a pack (the sheath makes this easy...lots of holes and slots).

I look at it as more of a multi-use tool than a bush knife at the moment.

#129224 - 04/03/08 06:22 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: ]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
SwampDonkey: The LMFII is a horrible bushCRAFT knife. It's beefy, heavy and has a very thick blade...most of the straight edge is covered with serrations...it's designed for helicopter egress after all. Because of that I haven't been using it as my main carry knife when I'm out in the bush and therefore I haven't been using it very much at all and really haven't put it through any serious bush. I've just started to use it as a light weight solution to leaving my shovel, machete, axes, etc at home. It's lighter than any of those tools and can do all their jobs even if less efficiently...and I would trust it to stand up to way more 'non-standard' use than any of my other bush equipment. It's short for a big heavy knife so it's easy to lash to a pack (the sheath makes this easy...lots of holes and slots).

I look at it as more of a multi-use tool than a bush knife at the moment.

You know that LMF stands for "Lightweight Multi-Function", right?

FWIW, I currently use mine as my primary carry knife when I'm in the woods or out camping. I agree with many of the issues that Dave raised, although I don't find the serrations on the rear half of the blade to be excessive.

The handle is pretty large for a knife with a blade this length (4.84" / 10.59" OAL) but I find it to better balanced and much more controllable than my KA-BAR 1211 (7.00" / 11.75") even though it weighs more (11.4 oz versus 10.5 oz for the KA-BAR).

I have a Gerber Big Rock camp knife that used to be my primary carry knife, but it now resides in my vehicle GHB kit. It is a similar sized knife (4.5" / 9.4" OAL) buts weighs only about half as much (6.3 oz). I doubt I could use it to egress from a helicopter as quickly as with the LMF, but it does a fine job slicing through paracord.

Given the price, I was pretty disappointed with a couple aspects of this knife. Having two retention straps not only is unnecessary (the sheath uses a very secure integral tang retention flange) but they are 1/4"-1/2" too short. I tried several sheaths looking for one that I could actually close without using both hands, but they were all this way. I finally gave up and removed them altogether.

The black finish on the pommel (buttcap) looks like ass, and the coating on the blade seems to get a new scratch every time it is removed from the sheath. WTF?

I have a Colt AR-15A3 tactical carbine that is the same way. When you spend $1500 for a rifle (especially when you know that a Bushmaster or DPMS is half that price) I expect the finish to be a bit more consistent, if not damn perfect. Colt's position is that their rifles are built for law enforcement and military applications, neither of which gives a rat's ass about appearance. Apparently Gerber followed Colt's lead with regard to finish...

The integral sharpener and Molle attachments are very handy, and overall this knife will do everything a good survival knife should do.

Jim

#129232 - 04/03/08 07:06 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: Paragon]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Thanks Paragon! I was asked just last night by a friend what 'LMF' stood for and I couldn't tell him...he'll be happy to know it means something.

I have the Big Rock too and it now resides in the trunk of my car as well...a good knife but not what I wanted to carry every day in the bush. Plus I bought the serrated version and haven't ever fully warmed up to the partially serrated blades.

I also agree with you about the sheath. I took off the MOLLE crap and just lash the plastic sheath to my packs. I have a massive thumb so extracting the knife from behind my back isn't TOO hard.

I think that if I were less traditional about knives I would enjoy the LMF more as an all around bush knife but the style and the serrations just don't lend it to working with wood beyond hacking and batoning. As it is I love my Gerber Freeman Hunter in S30V but the more I use it, the more I wish it had a scandi grind.

#129250 - 04/03/08 09:25 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hacksaw and Paragon,

Thanks for the 1st hand evaluation of the Gerber LMF II, I need another bush knife like I need another cat (that was for you Blast), but the LMF received excellent reviews on the web and looked interesting. I put a 1/2 price on one on ebay last night but missed it. I think I will wait until I can handle one in a store before I spend the money and run the risk of Pi$$ing-off the DW.

Anyone know of a full-tang, scandi-grind, 4 - 6 inch blade, bush knife of decent steel that will not max out my credit card and cause be to get a divorce?

Appreciate it folks,

Mike

#129251 - 04/03/08 09:28 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Ask and ye shall recieve:

http://www.skookumbushtool.com/

It's more than I typically spend on a knife but cheap considering they're hand made.

#129253 - 04/03/08 09:43 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Hi Hacksaw,

Thanks for the link to Skookum Knives, very nice and functional but a little more than I normal spend also.

You know, if I tallyed up the cost of all the low-end knives I have bought in the past 35 years I could have bought some great custom-made knives, live and learn.

Mike

#129254 - 04/03/08 09:49 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That's the truth (for many of us I'd wager)!

This summer I'm going to 'use' some of my cheaper knives to see if they stand up to 'use' wink . Whittling fuzz sticks is one thing but I'm seriously curious to see how many of my sharps are completely unsuited for some hard use. I bought knives in such rapid succession at one point that I have sharps which have never seen wilderness!

#129259 - 04/03/08 10:17 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: SwampDonkey]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
I will have to honestly say that I will trust(and have trusted) the LMF in any situation. I have never seen a tougher knife. It lacks finess in certain situations but when carried with a good folder or multi-tool you will solve that problem. I have no idea about the torture test some people are refering to but I have personally used mine with a 5 lb sledge and a block of cement to cut through a 1/2 inch thick piece of steel wire rope. The finish is ruined and constant re-sharpening in less than ideal conditions (plus a sheath full of sand)has scratched the hell out of it but it still works just fine.

It is worth every single penny to get one despite the price.(which isnt really that much) I got mine here. http://www.knifezone.ca

#129261 - 04/03/08 10:29 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: Taurus]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the solid recommendation on the Gerber LMF II Taurus, I really need to handle one of these knives to get a feel for it.

I may get to a store with one later this month.

Mike

#129267 - 04/03/08 11:33 PM Re: Looking for a fine ceramic stick pocket sharpener [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
This thread seems to have moved to an evaluation of the Gerber LMFII, but I am gonna throw this in anyhow, mainly 'cuz I just remembered it. Thirty-some years ago my ex-father-in-law gutted an old water heater, and came up with a couple of ceramin rods from somewhere inside. If memory serves correctly (always a doubt these days), they were a fine grit, 'bout 3/8" in diameter, maybe eight inches long. I remember stroking a blade along one, seemed to work fine as a sharpener. And they are FREE!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.