The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#129270 - 04/04/08 12:04 AM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: ]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
a cat's digestive system is pretty good at doing a lot with nothing...like generating it's own vitamin C

Most living creatures generate their own vitamin C. Humans still have the mechanism in their cells, but it got switched off somewhere far back along the common ancestral line.

#129278 - 04/04/08 01:47 AM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: Dan_McI]
gunsmith Offline

Loc: Co.'Douglas 80125
Kinda depends:
If your on a pleasure trip, cherry pick the grocery store, and clean them out of the light stuff..then pick out some small-heavy stuff....(Cavir for example)
+1 on the smoked oysters, packed in oil, also +1 on "C Rat" canned dinner, 1/day= pretty civilised, and weight be damed (2-3 days)

If you'r going "lite, fast &long" different rules apply, ( hoofing 15- 35 miles a day, with a purpose).....recipie for that is: 1/2LB peanut butter 1/8 lb jerkey, 1/8 lb dog food ( my personal favoret is gravey tran), and about a 1/4 pound of dog biscits-to scoop up the peanut buter,per day,,,, (as memory serves, ymmv.These are old estimates ,and thats going rough & fast, not for a fun walk, and by the way, I'm a small guy and I don't eat much),

I've made it on no more than 1/2 lb of peanut butter & crackers in a pinch, wasn't that bad;, Peanut butter is your friend, if you've got it

#129282 - 04/04/08 02:52 AM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: gunsmith]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

BOB S, " God created cats so people could pet lions." Ritter and Kavanaugh both have cats. My cat, Piewacket saved my life, literally. I kept trying to walk out into a heavy storm and he kept biting and scratching my thigh ( Montana Hi Top riding boots and jeans)I had to untangle his claws from my jeans, put him down and start for the door 8 times. I was turning the doornknob when a huge native oaktree came crashing down and took out my apt stairwell. I don't have 9 lives.

#129286 - 04/04/08 06:55 AM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
BOB S, " God created cats so people could pet lions." Ritter and Kavanaugh both have cats. My cat, Piewacket saved my life, literally. I kept trying to walk out into a heavy storm and he kept biting and scratching my thigh ( Montana Hi Top riding boots and jeans)I had to untangle his claws from my jeans, put him down and start for the door 8 times. I was turning the doornknob when a huge native oaktree came crashing down and took out my apt stairwell. I don't have 9 lives.

I just pick on cats because at least 2 times a month I see homes that smell real bad because of cats. Some of them are so bad you can smell it before you open the door. And it amazes me that the owners can’t seem to smell it. Or they want me to spray some deodorizer on it thinking it will fix it when the only fix it to throw away the carpet and pad and then seal the wood floor with polyurethane and then get rid of the cat before you put new carpet down. Or else it will destroy the new carpet in a short time.

Cat urine is some really nasty stuff.

Cleaning carpet in homes gives me a different view of cats then most people have. That and I’m allergic to them.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#129290 - 04/04/08 11:56 AM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: BobS]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

off topic.

it's the owners that allow the cats their behavior.

imho, cats train faster than dogs.

cat urine never dries.

wood floors can be sealed with kilz, cheaper than polyurethane and just as effective.

in my job i deal with these issues on a regular basis, too.

i live with four cats - never sealed my floors. we don't have odors.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

#129292 - 04/04/08 12:29 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: gunsmith]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Gunsmith

Quote:
If you'r going "lite, fast &long" different rules apply, ( hoofing 15- 35 miles a day, with a purpose).....recipie for that is: 1/2LB peanut butter 1/8 lb jerkey, 1/8 lb dog food ( my personal favoret is gravey tran), and about a 1/4 pound of dog biscits-to scoop up the peanut buter,per day,,,, (as memory serves, ymmv.These are old estimates ,and thats going rough & fast, not for a fun walk, and by the way, I'm a small guy and I don't eat much),

Sure beats MREs, grin I guess!!

Not to sure about the Gravy Train dog food though sick

Gravy Train contains corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, animal fat, animal digest, Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 2, and BHA

Perhaps you should find out what animal digest, red 40, Blue 2, BHA actually consists of (considering some may potentially be human carcinogens)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravy_Train_(dog_food)

before consuming any more, unless of course you're looking for a nice shiny coat and a wet nose. wink

#129295 - 04/04/08 01:12 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht2.html

Animal Digest - A powder or liquid made by taking clean under-composed animal tissue and breaking it down using chemical and or emblematic hydrolysis. It does not contain horn, teeth, hair, hooves, or feathers except in trace amounts which are unavoidable, Digest names must be descriptive of their contents....that is, chicken digest must be made from chicken and beef digest made from beef.

#129297 - 04/04/08 02:08 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: ]
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_digest

Animal Digest is a common ingredient used in pet foods. It is material which results from chemical and/or enzymatic hydrolysis of clean and undecomposed animal tissue. The animal tissues used shall be exclusive of hair, horns, teeth, hooves and feathers, except in such trace amounts as might occur unavoidably in good factory practice and shall be suitable for animal feed.[1]

As defined by the AAFCO, it is produced by chemically or enzymatically treating animal tissue (such as flesh, bone, organs, etc.) from slaughterhouses and other sources, in a process akin to rendering.

Yet another expert defines this as "a cooked-down broth" which can be made from unspecified parts of unspecified animals. The animals used can be obtained from almost any source and no control is in place over quality or contamination. Any kind of animal can be included: "4-D animals" (dead, diseased, disabled, or dying prior to slaughter), goats, pigs, horses, rats, euthanized at animal shelters, restaurant and supermarket refuse and so on."[2]

#129299 - 04/04/08 02:23 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Yummy.

I'll stick to people food wink

#129304 - 04/04/08 02:55 PM Re: Food for on the Trail [Re: ]
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw,

Quote:
I'll stick to people food wink

I've found it pretty weird how 'Food for the Trail' has turned into the discussion about the nutritional upsides and downsides of cat and dog food. What would be useful would be some good wholesome homemade recipes that we can all try out the next time we find ourselves in the wilderness. Doggy food and treats won't be finding there way into my pack anytime soon either.

Page 5 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.