Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#128760 - 03/30/08 06:25 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: MartinFocazio]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
You can skin anything up to and inclusive of Deer with a SAK.

SAK's are much underrated as a survival tool. I carry a SAK alox Farmer or a Huntsman. For shelter building (and we are not building a log cabin here) and basic fire/trapping techniques they are more than adequate.

As for dispatching something that you have just snared or trapped? Probably not. But you can use it to carve a dinkum club.

Which will do the job.

#128773 - 03/30/08 09:12 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: Nishnabotna]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Is THAT what makes their chicken so good???

#128872 - 03/31/08 07:48 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yep, I saw an Idaho Wildlife Officer field dress and quarter an 800 cow elk in the snow using just the blade of his Leatherman. That includes opening up the breastbone, removing all four feet, and dressing out all the rib meat, as well as removing the hide.

Field dressing a full grown elk is a big chore regardless of the tool(s) you will use. Of course, the bigger job then is to pack it all down to camp 5 miles away.

#128873 - 03/31/08 07:52 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: benjammin]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Wow! That's impressive, to say the least.

#128953 - 04/01/08 02:01 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: MartinFocazio]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I wouldn't have considered it prior to seeing it for myself. Now I know.

#128989 - 04/01/08 09:33 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: benjammin]
Frank2135 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio, USA
It doesn't compare to butchering an elk, but it is back on the chicken track: I worked briefly as a teenager at a large commercial poultry, I can't call it a farm, let's call it a production center. One of our jobs (in addition to shovelling out the droppings of around 6000 chickens each day) was to "euthanize" injured birds. We found the quickest and easiest way was to get a good, comfortable grip on the chicken's head with one hand, lift and and make like the bird is a New Year's noisemaker - give it a few quick spins. It snaps the neck quite efficiently and certainly doesn't cause any more pain or suffering than any other method. And at that point it is possible to tear the head off and let it bleed out, although that takes a lot of twisting and pulling and is definitely not for the squeamish.

I learned a few summers later that by starting at the legs where the skin is a little thin and loose, with a little finger strength you can actually skin (more like peel) a chicken without a knife. It's not as easy as with a rabbit, but you can do it. It's hard to get the wings out intact, though.

Compared to that, doing it with an SAK would be a breeze. As has been said, a sharp paring knife is better still. But it just goes to show what can be done if one must, as in a survival situation.

Edited by Frank2135 (04/01/08 09:33 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#129051 - 04/02/08 12:09 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: Frank2135]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

For some reason I have less success cleanly gutting birds than I do on big game. Must be a matter of scale that fowls me up, heh heh heh.

Yep, the old hand crank method works pretty well on a wounded duck too. Better to use both hands on a goose, or else jerk them hard like you are cracking a whip.

When I was 9 I was helping Grandad do up a dozen chickens and he let me take a swipe with the cleaver. I forgot and left my thumb sticking out and took off just the tip. Of course, he laughed like he always did when I screwed up like that.

#129071 - 04/02/08 04:01 PM Re: Yes, you can butcher a chicken with only a SAK [Re: Frank2135]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I use a similar method to Frank,

When I get into a flock of grouse during hunting in the fall, after you shoot the first one the rest are usually spooked and scatter a little. I move up to the one on the ground, wring it's neck so it does not get away and continue to put the moves on the others.

I have shot my limit from one flock doing this, it is easier to do with a .22 using sub-sonics because it is quiet.

Mike

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.