The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#128479 - 03/27/08 02:03 AM Re: Waterproof Daypack [Re: EHCRain10]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
The Watershed bags web site sucks, there is a real lack of info on how well the bags work. And the “Our story” page has small pictures that don’t convey much info and the print is too small. It looks like they only want the web site for an order form. But you have to make a good sales pitch before you can expect to make a sale of hundreds of dollars for a bag.

Sorry, being self employed and the chief marketing expert in my company (as I’m the only one working here) I tend to notice bad marketing.

That site does not inspire me to want to send them money.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128581 - 03/28/08 12:20 AM Re: Waterproof Daypack [Re: BobS]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

BobS, II just read your post and yes there website sux, but there product is awesome. I just bought a deck bag for a trip to keep larger items waterproof to 200 feet. If you are interested in their product to see it better I can make a video of one of my bags and post it if you want. Just let me know. I'm not a fan of the roll up dry bags due to deep submersion leaks. The watershed bags use a closure system identical but thicker than the Nasa old SCAPE suits before they went to zippers. I like this over zippers for the non metallic signature and durability of the product. I've been so happy with these bags I have bought 4 and another on the way.

#128590 - 03/28/08 02:56 AM Re: Waterproof Daypack [Re: falcon5000]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I would guess that they probably good bags, but the people that make them don’t do a very good job of saying that on the web site. I would not give them much of a look after a quick look at the web site. Your personal recommendation got me to look at them, but they don’t really explain the product or how it works very well on the web site. You click on a backpack and all it gives you is the size and weight & price. It’s their web site, they can say anything they want, but they choose to tell you almost nothing?

Don’t bother with a video, I have dial up for the next few months and videos don’t work for me.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128923 - 04/01/08 03:25 AM Re: Waterproof Daypack [Re: benjammin]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: benjammin
I've seen nylon stuff sack style dry-bags at Walmart for $10 for a three pack. They are made from woven nylon with a roll top closure and are supposed to be watertight. The biggest of the three appeared large enough to hold a pair of hiking boots or maybe a bit bigger.

The Wallyies in these parts carry a pretty good generic copy of a high quality roll-top dry-bag sold under the Coghlan's name. These are a fairly heavy yellow PVC reinforced with a polyester or nylon scrim. They are asking about $17. I have two. I bought three and had to return one before I used it because a seam wasn't welded correctly. Their quality control is minimal so it pays to check closely before you buy. The first two and the replacement third were all good and , with the exception of where a knife was carelessly packed and sliced a hole they have worn well.

These are not expedition weight. But for moderate camping in friendly surroundings and single use in a disaster they are perfectly adequate. I converted one to a day pack by gluing on patches I got from Defender, intended for adding mounting points to an inflatable dinghy, and stringing 1" webbing and nylon buckles from the local trail shop as shoulder straps and a belt.

All told I guess this pack cost me about $40. It isn't good enough for a major expedition through the Amazon but for a long weekend hiking through the local swamps it serves.

Target also sells a workable version of a roll-top dry-bag under the Coleman brand. It is a bit thinner clear PVC with a polyester or nylon scrim for reinforcement. I have one but haven't used it much but it is watertight, I tested it out of curiosity, and the seams feel well put together. This isn't up to the same standard as the name brand dry-bags but for lighter duty or shorter duration it sure beats a thin coated nylon stuff sack or a garbage bag for being watertight and durable.

#129009 - 04/02/08 12:13 AM Re: Waterproof Daypack [Re: Art_in_FL]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
I've used Cabella's "Boundary Waters" bags, they are pretty well made. I haven't tried the backpack version, only the duffle bag, but, they do make one that's daypack size:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?cmView=full&type=pod&id=0031809

- Ron

#129031 - 04/02/08 02:31 AM Re: Waterproof Daypack [Re: Be_Prepared]
ch451 Offline
Stranger

Thank you to everyone who has posted. I still would like to find out what pack Bear had but I will look into all of the ideas given. thanks to all!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.