The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#128845 - 03/31/08 05:21 PM Trucker's strike/slowdown
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
IF the Independant truckers start their strike and the Company drivers either call in sick or slow down, the effects, IMO, would show up on the grocery shelves and pharmaceutical shelves within a couple of days.

Today might be a good day to get the pantry & the medicine cabinet up to speed.

This is just my opinion on the subject.

#128854 - 03/31/08 05:57 PM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I had not heard of any pending strike (been off the loop a bit, recovering from a cataract replacement), but if it goes you are right. As the truckers say, EVERYTHING goes by truck...

#128858 - 03/31/08 06:24 PM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I hope you are following the Dr's & "Police Commissioner's" orders and heal correctly and quickly!!!!

#128864 - 03/31/08 07:15 PM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: wildman800]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I would guess most of us here have a supply of food put away to weather a strike or slowdown.

Not too worried about it.

What are they striking about?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128866 - 03/31/08 07:18 PM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: BobS]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: BobS
. . .What are they striking about?
Checked the price of diesel lately? To a trucker that's profit margin, truck payments, mortgage payments and food on the table.

#128876 - 03/31/08 08:10 PM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: Russ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Russ
Originally Posted By: BobS
. . .What are they striking about?
Checked the price of diesel lately? To a trucker that's profit margin, truck payments, mortgage payments and food on the table.

No I have not checked the price of diesel, but I’m very well aware of the price of gasoline. Its high priced as all petroleum based fuel is.

Just checked on this, it seems to me that it’s a pointless strike. It's based on frustration with the fuel prices and offers no fix.

Independent truckers (the main force of people behind this) have large truck payments, home mortgages and the like and don’t have a support structure to help them when they don’t work and will not last long before reality forces them back to work.

They are going to strike to let us know fuel prices are high, Do any of us not know this? NO! I see it every few days when I buy fuel as do all of us.

The strike will not cause any lowering of fuel price.

I understand truckers are frustrated with fuel prices, as most of us are. But all a strike will do is increase prices of items delivered by trucks and build bad will toward truckers, not lower fuel prices.

From a survival preparedness point of view, this will be easy to weather.

Edited by BobS (03/31/08 10:36 PM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128882 - 03/31/08 09:18 PM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: BobS]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I've been hearing a lot of rumors about this, but I really doubt it'll have any effect on daily life. From what I've been reading, it's only the O/O (owner/operator) truckers who MIGHT go on strike, not the big trucking companies. They're protesting the rising cost of diesel fuel which is cutting into their profits. But from what I have read, they charge a fuel surcharge that's supposed to cover the cost of fuel. The truckers who work for big companies don't pay for their own fuel, so I doubt they'll risk their jobs to go on strike. There might be a few late deliveries or delayed shipments, but all a company has to do is go hire someone else.

As for their reasoning, I don't understand either. There's no orgainization that they're striking against, no demands, no clear motivation. They're protest rising fuel cost by not working? I see no direct effect on fuel prices. Seems pretty absurd, they may think their the lifeblood of the country, but I have a feeling it'll backfire and end up just like the immigration protest from last year. Nobody's really going to notice.

#128889 - 03/31/08 11:41 PM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: ducktapeguy]
widget Offline
Addict

I can certainly understand the reasoning here. Diesel is like over $4 a gallon now. Unfortunately a strike will do little more than display their frustration and no one will do anything about the prices.
Maybe if we all called in sick for a week because of high fuel costs, someone would take note. We'll never do it, so....

#128895 - 04/01/08 12:25 AM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: widget]
porkchop Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Florence SC
Here in Eastern SC, the price of unleaded gas has gone up to about $3.20 from around $3.00.

At the same time, diesel has gone from $3.25 to over $4.00 in some areas.

20 cents versus 75 cents maybe they need to pass a little more price increase on to gas users not just stick it to people that use diesel.

The real question we need to ask is why the US Federal Government needs a 50 cent a gallon tax on top of the local and state fuel taxes. They haven't done a thing to produce, transport or even market the fuel they are taxing. Sounds like free money for Uncle Sam if you ask me. Yes, I know it helps to maintain the roads we ride on every day.
The quickest way to remove government waste would be to invent a shovel with a kickstand.

But, I could be a little biased, I am a trucker.

#128896 - 04/01/08 12:28 AM Re: Trucker's strike/slowdown [Re: ducktapeguy]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
As for the ratio of owner operators (O/O) to fleet drivers, I don't have any figures I can point out, but I drove I-5 for 30+ years, writing a lot of tickets to truckers, investigating their wrecks, etc, and if I remember correctly, there seem to be at least as many O/O as fleet rigs out there, so if they go on strike we will see a difference when we go looking for just about anything. Keep in mind that fleet rigs usually pic up a load at a company terminal, how that load got to the terminal is often by O/O.

What good a strike will do the O/O I just don't know, other than make them not have a paycheck for a while. It has to be frustrating for them, higher fuel costs, no increase in what they are paid to deliver a load from Point A to Point B. Kinda like being retired and never ever receiving even a cost of living increase in your montly check. And I can't go on strike...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.