Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#129362 - 04/05/08 12:41 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: MoBOB]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
I have one simple question: Why in the Sam Hill do these companies waste space with a corkscrew?
I originally wanted the corkscrew because it seemed silly to carry a multitool and a separate corkscrew. I think Europeans do drink more wine; especially the female ones. That said, I don't use it often. Most recently on holiday when the hotel left a bottle of wine in my room. Without my own corkscrew I'd have had to take it down to reception and ask them to open it for me. (OK, maybe that's not the best survival story on this site.)

It turns out that the corkscrew is the only thing on the Cs4 that's good and pointy. I had to change the wick on the lighter the other day, and the corkscrew was the only thing which helped. The awl is useless for this.

I've also heard of people screwing the corkscrew into a tree to provide an anchor point, although to me that sounds like rather a waste of a multitool.

#129363 - 04/05/08 12:50 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I have looked at a lot of mini tools and the XE6 is by far away the best of the bunch.
I have one, but I find it a bit too big and heavy. Also, it has more layers on one side of the pliers than the others, which offends me.

I also have the S2, which is equally asymmetric but somehow doesn't bother me as much. It's significantly smaller and lighter than the CS4, but still has knife, pliers and scissors and the range of screwdrivers. It covers the basics, and for me every extra tool the larger ones adds is worth a bit less.

That said, I'm currently carrying the CS4 which is intermediate (and the most symmetric). That's partly because I made a discrete paracord belt-loop so I think I can afford the extra weight. Also because the S2 hides the scissors behind the bottle/can opener, which makes it slower to deploy.

#129474 - 04/07/08 02:25 AM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: MoBOB]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Don't know anything about the Gerber but I have both the P4 and S4 models. I like the S4 a bit more than the P4 for everyday carry. I also carry a LM Wave in my daypack so I don't need the small pliers. The scissors works a LOT better than the Fiskar type scissors found on most other type of multi-tools. Comes in handy for trimming moustaches and is quite useable as a nail trimmer.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.