Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#128856 - 03/31/08 06:02 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: MoBOB]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I have one simple question: Why in the Sam Hill do these companies waste space with a corkscrew? It is totally useless to me. I can't think laterally on this one. confused

Tradition for one. I've used the corkscrew in a SAK as a leather awl before.

#128859 - 03/31/08 06:24 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: MoBOB]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
I have one simple question: Why in the Sam Hill do these companies waste space with a corkscrew? It is totally useless to me. I can't think laterally on this one. confused

Believe it or not, I actually got to use my Swiss Army Knife’s corkscrew as a corkscrew once. My former employer got a bottle of champagne for a Christmas celebration at work one year, but no one could find the darn corkscrew in the kitchen drawers so we could open it. My Swiss Army Knife came to the rescue and “ensured the survival of the Christmas spirit”! (Yeah, I know… lame attempt at justifying the corkscrew for survival purposes. Sue me.)

#128860 - 03/31/08 06:25 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: MoBOB]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well, the Juice series is Leatherman's attempt to compete directly with the ubiquitous Swiss Army Knife. They're aimed at the young, affluent, urban crowd who ski, backpack, etc. SAKs have corkscrews, mostly, and a certain segment of the market likes that very much.

This segment of the market is likely to bring both beer and wine on an outing, so a corkscrew is highly necessary. At condo-type ski lodges, in mixed and intriguing company, the corkscrew on my SAK has saved the day more than once.

Europeans, of course, go for wine as much as beer. Even the surplus W.German military pocketknives I've picked up have a corkscrew as standard equipment. So if you want to break into that market, offer a corkscrew.

The only use I've found for a corkscrew in the bush is to loosen stubborn knots in shoelaces and paracord. It slips in without damaging the rope, you twist it a couple of times, and give it a pull. Works like a charm.

#128869 - 03/31/08 07:43 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: dougwalkabout]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I can tell you what kinda hero I was when we had a friday celebrate at the office and the boss whips out a case of wine and no corkscrew! I got the first glass.

#128871 - 03/31/08 07:46 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: dougwalkabout]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I love the corkscrew on saks, because it give me a place to put the mini screwdriver. I don't really have a use for the philips head, which is what you can get instead of the corkscrew on certain models. However, that removable mini flat screwdriver comes in handy all the time.

#128874 - 03/31/08 07:54 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: Paul810]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Paul810
I love the corkscrew on saks, because it give me a place to put the mini screwdriver. I don't really have a use for the philips head, which is what you can get instead of the corkscrew on certain models. However, that removable mini flat screwdriver comes in handy all the time.

+1 on that. The mini screwdriver is a life saver!

#128878 - 03/31/08 08:14 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: Paul810]
ulfhedinn Offline

Loc: Europe
You can put the Swiss mini screwdriver also on the Leatherman
corkscrews! Perfect solution! Why? The little tool can reach places the Leatherman can't.

#129061 - 04/02/08 02:47 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: ulfhedinn]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Update: I was able to play with a Leatherman P4 and a SOG Crosscut yesterday; the Gerber Clutches are all in vacuum-packed sets with some kind of knife. Between to the two the P4 felt much better in the hand. I think, generally, the needlenose provided the functionality that I would need.

I also spied a Spirit. It was likewise vacuum-sealed so I could play around with it. Initial looks are that the length appears the same +/- .1". Possibly a little slimmer; minor weight reduction.

Thanks, as always, for the inputs everyone.

#129064 - 04/02/08 03:28 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: MoBOB]
Reddave Offline
Journeyman

same carry and reasons for carry as leigh has stated. prefer the larger one but people slowly step away from me when i pulled it out to perform tasks. now when i produce a purple xe6 people carry on talking in a matter of fact way. perhaps if i had painted the Ti pink or yellow it would have been more appropriate, except to mr plod

#129115 - 04/02/08 07:28 PM Re: Small Multitool Opinions [Re: MoBOB]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Really handy to help untie a over tight knot. Holds the mini-screwdriver perfectly, and I've used it in wine many a time while hiking. smile

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.