Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128802 - 03/31/08 03:33 AM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: BobS]
duckear Offline
Addict

Kifaru has no head hole. Neither do USGI liners.

The Kifaru is good stuff. Expensive, but made of premium materials in the USA. Lots of folks on their site have used their woobie down to 40 or so.

I do love my USGI woobie!!!!!! But not at 40!!!!!!

#128806 - 03/31/08 06:47 AM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: duckear]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Hi hope Frenchy chips in here as I know he's bought one of the Kifaru woobie a short time ago. I'm not sure he's tested it yet but I was privileged enough to be shown the woobie and to wrap it round me for a short time. I came away from the experience wanting one. It packs real small, weighs next to nothing and it's warm, real warm. Like I said, I only had it around me for a couple of minutes and I was starting to feel how warm it was even then. I hope Frenchy does a small review to let others know.

#128810 - 03/31/08 11:17 AM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: Stokie]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Thanks all for your comments.

I'm torn between an ultralight bag and a blanket/quilt. I know with one, you can unzip and its a blanket, and the other is already a blanket. Guess, just want to try something different and see if it'll work.

On my next order from the states, i'll try out a poncho liner. Then if I have some extra cash, i'll give the woobie a try. I would still like to see some reviews on the woobie before dishing out the cash for something like that, but willing to give it a try after Stokie's comments.

#128813 - 03/31/08 12:03 PM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: Kris]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Rivers West sells a couple different sized fleece blankets that are waterproof, windproof, and puncture/tear resistant (barb wire tested). It comes with a damn fine warranty as well. Their Artillery blanket looks ideal for what I'd want, but if you need something smaller, their field blanket or their sniper bag might be better. Prices have gone up due to their success and the fact that they have no competition right now.

http://www.riverswest.com/hifi.html

Bass Pro shops has carried their product off and on. RW used to sell direct, but it looks like they've turned their on line sales over to Cascade direct, likely a retailing offshoot that took over the entire retailing on line aspect of the company.

I've got one of their blankets, and not only is it an effective outdoor blanket/ground cover, but it is also the wife's favorite "curl up on the couch and nap" blanket. Mine's 4 years old and still has no holes, no fraying, no problem. I also have a hunting outfit made from the same sort of fabric but in realtree mossy oak print that I absolutely love for the foul weather hunting.

#128825 - 03/31/08 01:47 PM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: benjammin]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Looking back over some old posts (try 2004)and an old friend of the forums BountyHunter had comments on a Jerven Bag.

Not sure this is what you want for carribean ; )

https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/page/7357/

Stokie.

#128835 - 03/31/08 04:08 PM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I didn't see anything on the Riverwest about a blanket. Were you pointing us there because of the clothing?

#128836 - 03/31/08 04:12 PM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

#128838 - 03/31/08 04:24 PM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: MoBOB]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The Rivers West website is a bit automated, in that you are compelled to go to the main web page first, then select hunting gear, then accessories. Sorry I didn't specify, their site has changed some since last I accessed myself.

That blanket in Cascade Outfitters you linked to is not the same as what I am suggesting.

Here's a link to the Cascade Direct Retailer that carries the blanket(s) I am suggesting on-line.

http://store.cascadedirect.net/servlet/Detail?no=474

#128840 - 03/31/08 04:37 PM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: Stokie]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Stokie
Looking back over some old posts (try 2004)and an old friend of the forums BountyHunter had comments on a Jerven Bag.

Not sure this is what you want for carribean ; )

https://jerven-com.secure.flexiweb.no/page/7357/

Stokie.

Thanks man... saw that in the past as well. Interesting.

Wish you can camp here on the island, but its too small for that. You can't camp on the beach (illegal - but make exceptions on easter weekend where everyone brings everything to the beaches to live in for 3-4 days), and camping in the 'woods' isn't worth is as we are a sea-level island (meaning its either swamp or jagged stone/coral all over the place).

#128844 - 03/31/08 05:19 PM Re: Ultralight blanket experience? [Re: benjammin]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Thanks.... smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.