The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128724 - 03/29/08 10:38 PM Removing sticky residue on computer wires
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Can one use safely WD-40 to remove sticky goo from duct tape and electric tape on computer soft plastic wire? And how do you properly remove the WD-40 once the job is done?

Thanks
Frankie

#128727 - 03/30/08 12:58 AM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Frankie]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Use lighter fluid, it works to dissolve the glue and evaporates to nothing in a min or so. I use it all the time to remove all kinds of labels and glue residue.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128730 - 03/30/08 01:14 AM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Frankie]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Denature alcohol. Evaporates in a minute or two, leaves no residue unlike petrochem derivatives (WD-40, lighter fluid).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#128735 - 03/30/08 02:16 AM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: ironraven]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Lighter fluid leaves no residue, I've been using it for years and have never had any.

#128753 - 03/30/08 03:01 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Frankie]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Goo Gone or De-Solv-It work really well for removing that kind of stuff. (I degrease my entire bike during overhauls with De-Solv-It.) It shouldn’t hurt the insulation on the cords or wires, but it may leave a residue that can be wiped away with a paper towel after a few minutes.

I’ve also had really good luck with Simple Green. No residue… bit more work than with Goo Gone or De-Solv-It… signature Simple Green smell.

#128755 - 03/30/08 04:15 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: JCWohlschlag]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
In my experience, the result depends on a particular cable material. Some rubber imitating soft plastics are slowly decomposing in contact with adhesives from duct tape or electric tape. At some point of time nothing will help to restore such a plastic to a "dry" condition, it will stay "wet" forever. Moreover, the alcohol based cleaner may trigger some sort of other chemical reaction on that "goo", which will make plastic crumble.

Never tried WD-40 on those cables, though.

Edited by Alex (03/30/08 04:16 PM)

#128757 - 03/30/08 05:39 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Alex]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

If it’s a cable or wire that is mounted in something and not easily removed (replacement not an option) and you want it to not be sticky. Remove all residue with lighter fluid, if it’s a case of the plastic or rubber coating degrading and is the cause of the stickiness. Give it a rub down with wipe-on-polyurethane. It will seal it and provide a protective coating to slow or stop the degrading.

But for the most part just wiping it down with the lighter fluid should work.

#128758 - 03/30/08 05:53 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: BobS]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

OK how do you use the lighter fluid ? You dont break a Bic lighter do you ? Do you use a re-fill canister for the purpose and what is the best technique to do it. ( Now it sounds like rocket science LOL).

BTW, wont the fluid evaporate at once ?

#128763 - 03/30/08 06:46 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: BobS]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I've seen it used by others for years. And opened several cases that smelled like Zippo fluid as late a week after it was used in them. Sure, no sticky residue, but if you can still smell it, that means it has either accumulated in or between components, or it has infiltrated the insulation.

On the other hand, denatured (unless you just pour it in there) is gone in under five minutes. No scent, no muss. And it doesn't weaken as many synthetics as petrochem-based agents.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#128765 - 03/30/08 06:55 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Frankie]
akabu Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Brooklyn NY
some plastics breakdown when WD-40 or that bane of techies 409 spray cleaner is used try olive oil or other light veggie oil.
I would highly recommend CRC 2-26 for all electrical and outdoor gear it is a silicone base food,plastic safe, spray. If you have a Home Depot nearby look in the Electrical section the stuff is wonder full, use it on my cars engine to clean and prep for the winter to protect from the salt put down for snow.have used it for 20- 30 years.
http://www.google.com/search?q=CRC+2-26&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Edited by akabu (03/30/08 06:59 PM)

#128772 - 03/30/08 09:11 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Chisel]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
He is probably talking about the old fashioned liquid filled lighters (Zippo's et al). Every grocery/liquior store will sell Ronson lighter fluid, I use it all the time for de-greasing stuff. Being lighter fluid, it is of course highly flammable, so use at your own risk. And no smoking while using it...

#128809 - 03/31/08 10:36 AM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Frankie]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will try one of the solutions on a small spot and see if there's a melting reaction and if after 20 min nothing happens then I'll use it.

Frankie

#128817 - 03/31/08 12:54 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Frankie]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Lighter fluid, aka Naptha, is a pretty good solvent on most adhesives, but has some persistent flammability issues that I don't care for around electronics too much. I prefer to use aresols that are specifically made for electronics cleaning, like electro-wash, which are mild freon based solvents that leave no residue, are safe to use on electronic equipment, and won't hurt plastic in the least.

Electro-Wash

It may not be as aggressive at removing/desolving the adhesive, but better to be conservative about such things in my opinion.

#128927 - 04/01/08 03:43 AM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: benjammin]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Skip the lighter fluid, naptha. It is more aggressive and hazardous than you need it to be.

Common cooking oil will do the job. Apply it sparingly with a cloth rag and rub a bit. You will be surprised how fast it dissolves the stickum. Once the glue is gone wipe the area clean with a paper towel. The only material you don't want to use it on is natural rubber. Almost all modern insulation on wires is PVC, nylon or Kynar. None of these are damaged by the oil. You can use it on painted surfaces but wipe it off well because if it pools or is allowed to stay in quantity it will peel the paint. Brake fluid, essentially glorified vegetable oil, similarly damages paint if it isn't removed.

Naptha will degloss paint and attacks many more plastics. And it is a significant fire hazard around electrical equipment.

Any cooking oil or margarine will work.

#128947 - 04/01/08 12:56 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Art_in_FL]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

All right then, I'll try that first. If it works, my interest in ethnobotany will rise. Thanks.

#151207 - 10/07/08 09:48 PM Re: Removing sticky residue on computer wires [Re: Art_in_FL]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
Skip the lighter fluid, naptha. It is more aggressive and hazardous than you need it to be.

Common cooking oil will do the job. Apply it sparingly with a cloth rag and rub a bit. You will be surprised how fast it dissolves the stickum.

I've been looking for something to remove the label glue left behind on the plastic bottles used to dispense prescription drugs. I decided to come to the forum to ask for suggestions when a search turned up this topic. Thank you, akabu and Art! Veggie oil is surprisingly quick and effective at removing the glue and I now have a nice clean supply of plastic bottles for use in my kits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.