The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128704 - 03/29/08 02:49 PM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: NightHiker]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
There is no need to be concerned about that. At 60 lbs the needle will point straight to the magnet if its only a few feet away. My 12 lbs magnet can deflect a compass needle up to 15 degrees at about 3 feet.

#128706 - 03/29/08 03:08 PM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: climberslacker]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Itīs not that bad. Firstly most metals arenīt magnetic anyway. Secondly the magnetic field decreases rapidly with distance. If you keep a distance of about 3 feet from iron objects you may be pretty save.
A 60 lbs test magnet may well be too strong for EDC. It would not be to big or heavy though. They are available at the size of a matchbox and a weight of about 60 g. Those magnets are usually underestimated by most people who havenīt handled them before. A coworker destroyed a pair of 20 lbs magnets by dropping one on the table about 1 1/2 feet away from the other. Both were shattered on impact.

#128707 - 03/29/08 04:53 PM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: M_a_x]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
A magnet will only work to pickup your keys if the key ring is iron or steel.

With very few exceptions all keys are non ferrous metals. They are non magnetic and (despite what you see on TV when some spy or thief is copying a key in a movie,) they don’t generate any sparks when cut or scraped over something.

Stainless steel is also non magnetic, I recently bought a small ax to go with my Thermette and the package says it’s stainless steel. But a magnet sticks to it very well.

Some stainless steel has a little regular steel in it and a magnet will have a very small attraction to it, not enough to stick, but this ax draws a magnet to it like a kid is to a mud puddle.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128710 - 03/29/08 05:55 PM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: BobS]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Most key rings are made of steel. If you intend to use a magnet to find or retrieve the key.
Itīs not quite true that stainless steel is non magnetic. It depends mostly on the portions of nickel and cobalt. There is austenitic steel which is non magnetic and ferritic steel which is magnetic. Only ferritic steel can be hardened because hardening depends on a change in crystal structure of steel during quenching. Austenitic steel does not have this change in crystal structure. That is why cutting tools and cutlery usually are magnetic.

#128714 - 03/29/08 08:32 PM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: Cjoi]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Cjoi
Just be careful not to wipe off the info in magnetic strips on credit cards, electronic/magnetic keys, and such.

I did that several times with the magnetic latch on an old cell phone case. All too easy to do. Sigh.

Ken K.

#128739 - 03/30/08 02:41 AM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: KenK]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
I carry one of those extendable magnetic pick ups. Rated at 10 pounds. More than enough for a set of keys. To give it more reach I removed the pen clip and epoxied a screweye to attach a string if needed.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#128761 - 03/30/08 06:30 PM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: Raspy]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i keep looking at the wedding ring magnets(about 2/3 down the page) and thinking how i could be worshiped as a god at a fantasy convention.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#128915 - 04/01/08 02:28 AM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: Erik_B]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Magnets have a lot of uses. I don't keep one in my kit mainly because it could interfere with the compass or electronics.

A trick for getting a magnet on a string through a steel grate or other tight spot surrounded by magnetic metal is to roll up a piece of cardboard or stiff paper to form a tube. You pull the string through and pull the magnet up tight. Then you use the tube to push the magnet well past the metal. Once free the magnet can be allowed to drop free of the tube. The stiff tube also allows finer control over the string, in case the hole you went in through isn't exactly plumb over your target, as you fish for your lost keys.

#129358 - 04/05/08 06:09 AM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: Art_in_FL]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I do carry a set of neodymium magnets in my EDC kit, but in form of ten matching pairs of magnetic jewelry clasps:

They are just 6x6mm x 1.0 gram each, and quite strong (almost 2 pounds for a pair). This particular shape is very versatile. You can attach a string or electric wire to them like this:

I'm using them not only for picking up metal objects, but on a daily basis for making quick and very reliable electrical connections to batteries (AAA/AA/C/D/button cells) and between batteries in series when improvising electrical circuits. They are also good at keeping small metal objects (like screws and nuts) together in a loose container such as a pocket. I'm using them also as mounting points in my vest to hang small zip-lock bags with the components of my distributed EDC kit (one magnet is sewn to the fabric near the top of the pocket, and another one taped inside of the zip-lock bag) which prevents accumulation of items on the bottom of a deep pocket. And similarly - for the automatic closures in my pockets (I'm wearing the ScotteVest Tactical System , which is utilizing magnetic closures already, but not on all of its 47+ pockets smile ). Using thin wire it is possible to make an electric motor, or dynamo generator with them (which will easily power a small radio or LED light)...
And finally, each of these magnets is precisely 1 gram. So, I can use them as weights for improvised scale.

Edited by Alex (04/05/08 06:34 AM)

#129380 - 04/05/08 05:54 PM Re: There's a magnet in my kit! [Re: Alex]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Alex

This would appear to be a very viable means of fabricating a break-a-way connection on a lanyard or survival necklace.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.