The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#128626 - 03/28/08 05:38 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: MoBOB]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I know it’s already been said in this thread, but I also love Permethrin. My son and I camp at a campground locally and a lot of spiders crawl up in between the tent and rain fly. You can see them there at night with a flashlight. Last year we started spraying Permethrin around the base of the tent on all sides. We have a rug outside each of our tents where you get in & out of the tents. In the mornings, you can see dead spiders on the rugs, the Permethrin on the tent kills them as they walk across it.

Permethrin is great stuff, well worth the $5.00 a can it cost. It brings sanity to an otherwise irritating mosquito filled night.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128627 - 03/28/08 05:47 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: BobS]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Permethrin is easy to test. In the warmer months, go outside at night and find a spider, spray it with Permethrin. It takes 10 to 15-seconds but then the spider starts jumping around like crazy and within a min or so it drops to the ground.

Also to see how well it last, I have a few windows that face the back of my property, spiders love to make web across these windows all summer. I spray around the window with Permethrin and for the next month no spiders. I also have an old iron fence post with a cement cap on it. On the side of it there is a hole, wasp love to make a nest inside the fence post and go in & out the hole. I coated the hole very liberally with Permethrin and no more wasps there anymore. I don’t know if they died inside or could not get back in but they are gone

Permethrin Is great stuff.

#128629 - 03/28/08 05:56 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: MoBOB]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
What I would do is get lightweight, light-colored fishing pants that don't have zip-off legs with an extra-long inseam.

pay attention to the DON'T HAVE ZIP-OFF LEGS.

those critters will line up nice and neat on the covered zippers if you don't pay attention.

experience speaking.

#128631 - 03/28/08 06:34 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: bsmith]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
What are the known side effects of Permethrin? (Hopefully not worse than Lyme Disease...)

#128632 - 03/28/08 06:35 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: MDinana]
thtimster Offline

This remedy was found in Nessmuk's Book 'Woodcraft & Camping' which is available to view at outdoor-magazine.com

http://outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?article303&var_recherche=
nessmuk&var_recherche=nessmuk

"It was published in Forest and Stream in the summer of 1880, and again in ’83. It has been pretty widely quoted and adopted, and I have never known it to fail: Three ounces pine tar, two ounces castor oil, one ounce pennyroyal oil. Simmer all together over a slow fire, and bottle for use. You will hardly need more than a two-ounce vial full in a season. One ounce has lasted me six weeks in the woods. Rub it in thoroughly and liberally at first, and after you have established a good glaze, a little replenishing from day to day will be sufficient. And don’t fool with soap and towels where insects are plenty. A good safe coat of this varnish grows better the longer it is kept on—and it is cleanly and wholesome. If you get your face and hands crocky or smutty about the camp-fire, wet the corner of your handkerchief and rub it off, not forgetting to apply the varnish at once, wherever you have cleaned it off. Last summer I carried a cake of soap and a towel in my knapsack through the North Woods for a seven weeks’ tour, and never used either a single time. When I had established a good glaze on the skin, it was too valuable to be sacrificed for any weak whim connected with soap and water. When I struck a woodland hotel, I found soap and towels plenty enough. I found the mixture gave one’s face the ruddy tanned look supposed to be indicative of health and hard muscle. A thorough ablution in the public wash basin reduced the color, but left the skin very soft and smooth; in fact, as a lotion for the skin it is excellent. It is a soothing and healing application for poisonous bites already received."

I think he called it 'Bug Juice'. Use it at your own risk.

Tim

#128634 - 03/28/08 06:43 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: jdavidboyd]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: jdavidboyd
What are the known side effects of Permethrin? (Hopefully not worse than Lyme Disease...)

No side effects for 2 reasons.

1 you don’t spray it on your skin, you spray it on clothes and let it dry.

2 if you do spray it on your skin your skin deactivates it within a few min.

It’s used for head lice in kid’s shampoo.

It’s a safe product.

#128635 - 03/28/08 06:48 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: bsmith]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bsmith

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
What I would do is get lightweight, light-colored fishing pants that don't have zip-off legs with an extra-long inseam.

pay attention to the DON'T HAVE ZIP-OFF LEGS.

those critters will line up nice and neat on the covered zippers if you don't pay attention.

experience speaking.

Can they actually get through the zipper on zip offs or do they just kind of huddle up under the flap and sneak out Trojan Horse like later or ?

Edited by Hikin_Jim (03/28/08 06:49 PM)

#128642 - 03/28/08 07:13 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: Hikin_Jim]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Can they actually get through the zipper on zip offs or do they just kind of huddle up under the flap and sneak out Trojan Horse like later or ?

i've counted more than 10 lined up - on each side, under the cover flap of the upper part of the leg - and waiting for a sneak attack later!

whoda thunk to look for them there?

#128654 - 03/28/08 11:13 PM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: MDinana]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Blouse up your pants.

#128664 - 03/29/08 12:50 AM Re: Preventing Tick bites at OK D-Day [Re: handyman]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
It will keep any female paintballers away too...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.