Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127749 - 03/19/08 01:15 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: big_al]
MichaelJ Offline

How does freeze dried compare to dehydrated for long-term storage? The freeze dried is said to last 15 to 50 years if stored in the correct conditions.
In general, how long with bulk items (like rice, corn and beans) store if they are sealed in CO2 (superpails?)?

#127759 - 03/19/08 02:47 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Originally Posted By: BobS
It’s hard to recommend a food because all of us have different likes in food. I like Mountain House stroganoff a lot.

I think Mountain House & Backpackers Pantry are good. I don’t have any experience with Provident Pantry.

Another backpacking food to take a look at (and it’s less expensive and taste good) is Enertia Trail Foods. They are more vegetarian based then other trail food. Here is their web address

http://www.trailfoods.com/index.html

I'm pretty sure the Enertia's only have a shelf life of a year. I haven't tried the ones I have that are ~2 years old, but just something to consider. I don't see anything that could go wrong though.

I use them backpacking and haven’t given it thought to long-term storage. It would be good to e-mail Enertia and ask and see what they say on this and to also research it as the company may not have a good answer as the survival market is probably not their main market like backpacking is.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#127884 - 03/20/08 03:17 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: jaywalke]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

Why not go with canned goods - long shelf life and cheap.

#127894 - 03/20/08 06:23 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: teacher]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

I do have a lot of can goods (more then other foods, percentage wise) but I like camping and the lighter backpacking foods are also nice to have. And variety is nice to have in your choice of food.

But then I do seem to take a lot of can food camping over the course of a year.

Edited by BobS (03/20/08 06:38 PM)

#128562 - 03/27/08 08:30 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: jaywalke]
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
What's everyones opinions on MREs? I've personally never tried MH or any freeze dried rations...

#128566 - 03/27/08 09:02 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: jcurphy]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Heavy

#128573 - 03/27/08 10:22 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: MoBOB]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

They are heavy, but if you are not backpacking it’s not a big issue. I find them expensive and I also don’t like the food in all but 2 or 3 of them.

For ready to eat food that doesn’t have to be cooked to eat, can food is better then MREs, its also heavy, but the taste is so much better. Can food like all food (including MREs) is better tasting heated. MRE’s have their own heater, you just add water to it and it warms up the pouch.

Freeze Dried food is even more expensive, you can spend $5.00 to $8.00 for a meal and still be hungry. They generally have a good flavor and are light weight and last up to 50-years.

My main storage food is the items you find at the local store. Can food, it’s not expensive and taste good and last a few years. Also I lay in a good supply of grocery store packaged food.

I use a magic marker to write the purchase (or if it has a best if used by date) on the can or package and rotate food to keep my supply fresh as I can.

I use freeze dried food more for backpacking, but also have some stored. But I tend to pull it out of storage and take it camping.

There is no real wrong or right answer as to what food to put away, as long as it palatable to you it works.

The important thing is not what to store, but rather that you do store some.

I just wish they still made caned bacon, I use to buy it at the local Kroger (Celebrity brand) but it disappeared several years ago.

#128574 - 03/27/08 10:23 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: MoBOB]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Edited by BobS (03/27/08 10:29 PM)

#128576 - 03/27/08 10:58 PM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: MichaelJ]
DonnaF Offline
Stranger

Hi all, I have just discovered Yoders meats for long term storage needs. Just got them yesterday, and they are supposed to store 10 years + in a cool basement atmosphere. From what I hear and see, it is fresh cooked meat in it's own juices, no additives. It has become a quest with me over the last two years to be able to provide balanced meals for a long term emergency. I have gone to Waltons Feed also and found some great products there. It costs for shipping because of the weight, but all are basic ingredients that store for a long time. This is why I buy one or two things a month. At least with the storage time of the stuff I've bought, it doesn't need to be rotated every six months. It's put away and I don't need to worry. Any other products worth buying?

#128592 - 03/28/08 03:07 AM Re: Mountain House versus Provident Pantry [Re: DonnaF]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

What I do to build up a good supply is to buy a few extra items for storage (usually2) every time I go to the grocery store. In one-year you will literally have a ton of food stored away. And at no time did you have to make a big purchase that took lots of money.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.