Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#128767 - 03/30/08 08:26 PM Re: Medications and Long Term Preparedness [Re: MoBOB]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
IMHO, based upon observed physician practice patterns in ER and acute care hospital patients:

Find a friendly physician or veterinarian and get a big brown bottle of penicillin or amoxacillin: 500mg caps or tabs in a brown container. store it somewhere cold and dry. Get dosing information from your friendly doc. If allergic to penicillin, or more adventurous and wealthier, get levaquin. Pen and amox are available in generic form: http://www.petcarechoice.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.search&product_namefilter=amoxacillin

To anticipate some of the objections:

1) Antibiotics are dangerous in untrained hands: (so are guns, knives,hatchets, ferrocerium rods, fish hooks and scalpels: it is generally asserted that these things have their place in survival planning)

2) People who need antibiotics are going to die anyway: (everybody is going to die anyway. Survival planning and most medical therapy is about delaying the inevitable. Even the DR designed aviation survival kit does not promise eternal life)

3) People treated with these meds in optimal settings suffer side effects, toxicity, and bad clinical outcomes, which would be worse in sub-optimal crisis conditions. (see (2) above)

#128847 - 03/31/08 05:37 PM Re: Medications and Long Term Preparedness [Re: nursemike]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Thanks NurseMike. I'd have to go the whatever route folks allergic to Penicillin/derivatives go. I think Erythromycin was fine for me. Either way, it still takes a visit to the doc. A careful explanation of why you are asking for the scrip and hopefully cooperation on his/her part.

I like your objections treatment.

#140213 - 07/18/08 07:08 AM Re: Medications and Long Term Preparedness [Re: MoBOB]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
RE Pain Killers:
Frankly, I'm on fairly high does pain killers and have been for a year - the classic "we will write you a 15 script" kinda meds, with NO refils

Thing is, I find that a LOT of days, I don't need them every 6 hours, but more like ever 8-9hours. When do I refill? At 15 days. At this point I probably have a spare 2 week supply

I REALLY, Really hope I never have to long term (or for that matter, short term) bug out. Last year I developed a serious chronic health problem, and I lug around more drugs than you might imagine (along with dressing and the like to deal with the problem. Falls in the "this is no fun" zone
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#140219 - 07/18/08 09:58 AM Re: Medications and Long Term Preparedness [Re: KG2V]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I heard on the radio that authorities are concerned about internet pharmacies selling just about anything without requiring prescriptions.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.