Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128518 - 03/27/08 03:09 PM Where to find a new tobacco tin?
jcurphy Offline

Loc: Iowa City, IA
I'm interested in creating my own PSK, and would like to know where I can purchase a new tobacco tin? Everything I've seen online is an antique? Any help is appreciated - thanks!

#128523 - 03/27/08 03:27 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: jcurphy]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Look up cigarette cases or playing card cases....There is a ton of stuff out there.

Actually, a cigar case would make a pretty cool urban PSK. I just one made out of carbon fiber; only $70!

Edited by MoBOB (03/27/08 03:30 PM)

#128524 - 03/27/08 03:28 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: MoBOB]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK

Edited by Jackal (03/27/08 03:32 PM)

#128528 - 03/27/08 03:38 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: jcurphy]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Welcome NewGuy!

Lots of tin containers around to recycle; althoids, Fishermans Friend, tackleboxes, tobacco containers, gun cleaning kits, candy/cookie tins, etc.

You may have the right idea about starting out new with the right sized container, as I am overrun with ones I have scrounged.

Some nice containers can be found on retail Survival Equipment websites like this one http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Misc.Conatiners.htm

Good Luck, building a PSK can be a lot of useful fun.

Mike

#128529 - 03/27/08 03:39 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: SwampDonkey]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Sorry...Forgot to welcome you. Welcome NewGuy!!!!

(Thanks SwampDonkey for the reminder to be friendly)

#128531 - 03/27/08 03:49 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

If you are looking for something along the lines of what SwampDonkey pointed you to in regards to the mess kits go to your local Blue Demon Mega Retailer and buy a set of three mini loaf pans for about $6 and experiment with that size. That way you can give one or two away as presents!!!

I got the mini loaf pan idea from www.M4040.com He has a decent article and photos of the kit.

#128615 - 03/28/08 04:03 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: MoBOB]
thtimster Offline

The least expensive way is to luck into one at a yard sale. If you know any pipe smokers, you might get one that way. Also try a smoke shop that caters to pipe smokers. If they don't have an empty can you might consider buying a cheap brand in a can (since it's the can you want anyway) & give or toss the tobacco away. This might be cheaper than buying a can thru the internet plus shipping.

An alternative can would be a Sucrets can. They are making one called 'Sucrets Complete' which is a can somewhat larger than the regular Sucrets can (or Altoids.) Check the medicine aisles.

If you can find any of the old Bandaids cans (Again, try yard sales) some of them are roughly the same size as tobacco can, & would make an appropiate FAK container.

If you come across any of the 'Fossil Watch' tins those could make a nice PSK container. Some are hinged & some aren't.

Good luck seaching,
Tim

#128616 - 03/28/08 04:12 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: thtimster]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
And get rid of sugar or tobacco smell by washing it well. Odors will attract bears and other critters.

#128621 - 03/28/08 04:33 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: thtimster]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey thtimster,

Thanks for the tip on the larger Sucrets Can.

I am now experimenting with 2 sizes of Keen's Mustard Cans for use as a Survival Kit Container.

They can be seen here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keen's .

They are bright yellow and red in colour which is good. The top is on the small side therefore they will be a little difficult to assemble with PSK stuff, but will make a better cooking container than a flip-top altoids type.

The side seams hold water but I have not tested them over a fire yet, metal muffer tape helps seal a questionable seam.

Specially coffee and tea tins are also good small metal PSK containers.

Mike

#128630 - 03/28/08 06:06 PM Re: Where to find a new tobacco tin? [Re: SwampDonkey]
thtimster Offline

Hi SwampDonkey,

Your suggestion of the Keen's Mustard Cans is excellent. Even if I couldn't find that exact container locally, there is a European market that is in my town that imports lots of their products in tins as well. It would be ideal if some of these tins would have some sort of gasket seal at the rim to make them watertight. Do tobacco tins have this feature?

Icebreakers has been selling a breathfreshener in a tall tin that would make a good container for waterproof matches &/or a ferro rod.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.