Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#128384 - 03/26/08 12:44 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane [Re: Stretch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Stretch,
Could you (maybe you can't) comment on the article at Gun Accident In U.S. Airways Airliner Cockpit Was TSA Engineered
Quote:
. . .The insane procedures required by the TSA demands that our pilots to lock and then un-lock their .40 side arms was and is a solid recipe for disaster. Did the TSA deliberately create this bizarre and unconventional Rube Goldberg firearm retention system hoping for this result? The sordid history of the FAA and TSA’s total resistance to the concept of arming pilots to protect Americans is in itself a scandal.

Putting a gun into a holster and then threading a padlock through the trigger and trigger-guard is required every time the pilots enter or leave the cockpit. . .
Gives cocked and locked a new meaning. . .

#128385 - 03/26/08 12:57 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
An AD while flying a plane equates to poor training, or poor holster, or playing with the weapon while you should be driving the damned plane!!!

That was my entire thought when I read the article.

Someone simply did not know or think about what they were doing.

#128386 - 03/26/08 01:04 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: ]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
You should see what they put my Father through when he flys. He's a dark skinned guy from Miami and he looks almost Arabic. It's funny cause we're Jews. When he flys they pull him aside and give him the third degree. It's funny.

I don't think that's funny at all.

#128387 - 03/26/08 01:19 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I don't want some guy looking at my wife..."

From what I have seen, those "x-ray" looking images are far from a Playboy centerfold view. If some guy/gal gets turned on by them, they need to get a real life. I'd much rather have them get their little kicks than have a badguy get on the plane carrying a non-metalic knife or something...

#128435 - 03/26/08 07:53 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane [Re: Dan_McI]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Pilot was trying to stow gun that fired
Quote:
CHARLOTTE, N.C. - A US Airways pilot whose gun fired inside the cockpit says he was trying to stow the weapon as the crew got ready to land. . .
Consistent with what we now know about the holster-lock "system" that's been mandated by TSA.

#128437 - 03/26/08 07:55 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane [Re: Russ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If a pistol was stored with that kind of lock on it, how did it fire?

#128439 - 03/26/08 08:09 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane [Re: Dan_McI]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I'm sure details will be forthcoming. My question is why does TSA mandate that holster/lock "system" and unnecessary gun handling in the flight station?
Quote:
. . .FFDO pilots need to carry their side arms in conventional concealed holsters and there is no reason for the unnecessary handling of their firearms in the cockpits. . .
IMO you can lay this one on the TSA.

#128464 - 03/27/08 12:02 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane [Re: Russ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I couldn't say, Russ, but I can say that's one of the stupidest things I ever saw (not THE stupidest thing, of course) smile

.....it makes me want to talk (rant) politics......... (ooops. scratch that word! scratch that word!!!!)

#128466 - 03/27/08 12:16 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane [Re: Stretch]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
With a holster like that where one has to thread a lock through it, it's no wonder that an AD occured.

Better still, let's say you're a terrorist. You now know that pilots are locking their weapons at certain points. "Wow, this is great," the terrorists are saying, "now we know when to strike."

If you're going to trust a man's judgement when he's carrying a loaded firearm on a plane, why would you not trust his judgement when getting on and off the plane? Completely assinine.

#128468 - 03/27/08 12:39 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane [Re: ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Well, it sounds dumb and really it is. BUT, in arming the airlines pilots, it was never the goal that they would be the ones defending the airliner and passengers, beyond the cockpit. That's the key. Those firearms are to be used IF the cockpit door is breached.

From the cockpit back is the responsibility of TSA or other Federal agents traveling on the plane. Any Federal agent flying armed has received training on what to do in the event of a highjacking. Not on how to use their firearm (that's done elsewhere), but how to protect the cockpit.

So, while I still think it's somewhat silly to lock firearms (almost ANYTIME, almost ANYWHERE), there is some madness to their method (AD's notwithstanding) ((( laugh )))

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.