Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#128276 - 03/25/08 04:01 PM Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane??
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Just read an articile that a pilot in a US Airways plane "accidently" fired his gun in the cockpit, while the plane was landing. See: http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8686897

Someone may need a few more safe practices drilled into his head.

#128290 - 03/25/08 06:09 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Don't forget that 1st, you have to put up with and survive the TSA shenanigans!

#128308 - 03/25/08 07:54 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

This is all assuming your name doesn't share 3 consonants with somebody on the suspected terrorist list.

#128352 - 03/26/08 03:10 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: Dan_McI]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
An AD while flying a plane equates to poor training, or poor holster, or playing with the weapon while you should be driving the damned plane!!!

#128356 - 03/26/08 03:48 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Sounds like a "cowboy" pilot fiddling with his shootin' iron.

#128361 - 03/26/08 04:50 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: ]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Amen OBG. Furthermore because powers that be didn't want pilots to be armed they are all squawking now. Was anyone hurt? No. How many times a year do police have AD's? Quite a few. With injuries and fatalaties. But it normally doesn't make headlines because it isn't something that was forced down TSA's throat, something that some people thought was going to be a big mistake.

-Bill Liptak

#128366 - 03/26/08 08:07 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
An AD while flying a plane equates to poor training, or poor holster, or playing with the weapon while you should be driving the damned plane!!!

Probably tryin to impress a stewardess. "Hey Sheila, ever seen one of these up close? Well you know, I'm a certified....BOOM!"

#128370 - 03/26/08 10:33 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: LED]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
What OBG said. The only way to have an AD is to be handling the weapon, and evidently it occurred while landing! hehehe

I fly alot and I fly armed. Whenever we board the plane, we have to peek in and say hi to the pilots. The cockpit door is always open and most of those guys are pretty squared away. Not all are armed, I don;t think (I don;t the airlines policy), but the ones that are are pretty gung ho. They LOVE having the authority to carry a firearm. And for me, personally, I like that.

I'll usually say "Hey, I'm in 21F. What are you guys carrying?" and in most cases their eyes start to sparkle and they're happy to say "I'm carrying a Glock and he's got a Sig P229!!!" (big smile on both faces) "What about you?". Next thing I know, we're holding up the guys behind me that are trying to get on.

Hey, AD's happen to experienced policemen across the nation. Whether it's in a locker room or at 20K feet, a bullet without a purposeful destination is a dangerous thing! They don;t happen often to pilots or (we'd) be hearing about it. The TSA is part of our agency and, believe me, if AD's were anywhere near common on airplanes, there would be paper flying everywhere!

It's kind of funny in a way smile

#128374 - 03/26/08 11:54 AM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: ]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
>You should see what they put my Father through when he flys. He's a dark skinned guy from Miami and he looks almost Arabic. It's funny cause we're Jews. When he flys they pull him aside and give him the third degree. It's funny.

The gun writer Mossad ayoob who is of arab extraction, tells the tale of how he was questioned for hours about the competion guns in his hold luggage and the questioners complained he was simply quoting their own airlines regulations back to them. "Of course I am", he told them; "you don't think I'd try flying with guns without reading them do you".
the Questioner agreed he was within the regulations and the guns were in the hold luggage and not available to mossad anyway but he just wished mossad was called 'bob smith' because the gun phobic british pilot "has been in a room for 3 hours spluttering no bloody bloke, called mossad bloody ayoob, is getting on my bloody plane with 3 handguns!!"
That was in the 80s. If your face doesn't fit and you are trasnporting guns. you best bring a sleeping bag and go the day before to deal with the questioning now.
The Sock

#128378 - 03/26/08 12:08 PM Re: Pilot accidently fires gun in cockpit of plane?? [Re: TheSock]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Don't get stuck in Jersey on a layover with luggage containing a firearm. If the cops find out, you will get arrested.

That very thing happened to a fellow back in 2006. The case against him was eventually overruled, but he did go to jail, had his weapon confiscated, and spent lots of money in legal fees. I don't know if he ever got his gun back, or any of the money he spent defending himself, but that is a hassle I would not want.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.