Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128353 - 03/26/08 03:22 AM ebay Purchases
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

In my quest for a reliable single burner liquid fuel stove, I took the recommendation of ETS Forum members and went on the search for a Optimus Svea 123. Remember this thread from about a month ago on Multi-Fuel Stoves http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=123762&fpart=1 Locally I came up with nothing, so I was drawn to ebay (like a moth to a flame).

I registered and set up an account, watched for a while and then placed a bid. I had no idea that even though an item is posted for 7 days that only the last 10 seconds really counts! I missed out on a few good deals but learned from my mistakes, and now have a new stove (O.K. 4 stoves but don't tell my DW) to play with.

My experience has been that ebay is a good source for hard-to-find items but since you are bidding against the world prices can be inflated, especially when you include shipping, customs duty, taxes and service charges.

I was just wondering what other ETS Forum members experiences/opinions were of buying/selling items on ebay?

Thanks,

Mike

#128355 - 03/26/08 03:47 AM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Ditto, brother. And it's all too easy to wind up with way more crap than you'll ever need. But sometimes you find some REALLY GOOD DEALS on stuff. And then sometimes you wind up buying mis-represented crap. Ask direct questions and don't make the mistake that I did a couple of times of seeing something that looks good, jumping in on a bid that's about to close, and then winning and reading the fine print and realizing that you've bought something that isn't quite what you thought it was. Oops. Not that you would do that, but I did once and learned a lesson.

Do your research, find out what it's worth including the add'l costs you mentioned above, and make sure you log on about 5 (3?)minutes before closing and have several windows open with bids ready to go, where all you have to do is click.

#128357 - 03/26/08 03:48 AM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: SwampDonkey]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
The way I do it with E-Bay is to look for what I want, figure out what the max amount I’m willing to pay for it and then bid that amount. I don’t watch the bidding, I just wait for the e-mail if I win. Sometimes the closing bid is my max amount, sometimes I get out bid. And more times then not I win well under my max amount.

This works well for me as proof I have lots of stuff here from E-Bay. More then I really need. But then again can you have too much stuff???

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#128364 - 03/26/08 06:46 AM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: BobS]
JRJ Offline

If I find it on ebay, I always do a thorough search on google and usually find the item cheaper someplace else. If it is a regular item and not vintage or an antique your chances of finding it cheaper someplace else are pretty good. I always keep ebay as a last resort.

-JRJ

#128368 - 03/26/08 08:46 AM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: JRJ]
Jackal Offline

Loc: cornwall UK
for me ebay has be a great source of gear in the past, living in the uk it has allowed me to get gear at reasonable prices that i could not find in the uk. the dollar verses sterling rate has been good but lately the delivery charges from some ebay sellers has more than doubled for international delivery. best advice is google twice before hitting ebay and always check the feed back

#128376 - 03/26/08 11:58 AM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: SwampDonkey]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
I registered and set up an account, watched for a while and then placed a bid. I had no idea that even though an item is posted for 7 days that only the last 10 seconds really counts! I missed out on a few good deals but learned from my mistakes...

I have bought a hundred or more items on ebay over the years, but rather than camping out on the computer toward the end of the auction to snipe the item, I simply register my maximum bid on esnipe and set the timer for 4 seconds prior to the auction end.

I generally enter a bid ending in $0.77 or $0.87 as most people proxy a bid ending in $.01 or $0.51, and am amazed how many times I've won an auction by less than the minimum bid increment.

Jim

#128379 - 03/26/08 12:15 PM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: Jackal]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Most of my gear comes from Ebay, reason being is they don't sell JACK around here, never had a bad deal. I always shop between sellers, always watching the price of the item and cost of shipping. One seller might charge less for an item and more for shipping and handeling and another might charge more for an item and less for S&H, so it pays to shop around. Another thing to take into consideration is a sellers feedback before buying, make sure their business dealings are honest.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#128389 - 03/26/08 01:26 PM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: SwampDonkey]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Since we are often living in what almost qualifies as the boonies, we do a fair amount of buying on e-bay. After being frustrated by that last second bidding thing, we have pretty much settled for only looking for a "buy it now" price we are happy with, then buying. Probably not getting some things as cheap as we could by bidding, but we always seem to get them cheaper on e-bay than any other source...

#128417 - 03/26/08 05:00 PM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
we have pretty much settled for only looking for a "buy it now" price we are happy with, then buying.

that works for me too.

or i'll find the same vendor totally outside of ebay and buy direct at the same "buy it now" price. i don't like the whole 'pay pal' thing.

#128490 - 03/27/08 09:43 AM Re: ebay Purchases [Re: ]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
Quote:
I generally enter a bid ending in $0.77 or $0.87 as most people proxy a bid ending in $.01 or $0.51, and am amazed how many times I've won an auction by less than the minimum bid increment.

I started this practice several years ago after reading about Ebay bidding. I try to bid an "odd" amount when I use them. Last year it paid off when I was bidding on a leather bomber jacket made by U.S. Wings. I put a top bid of $100 on it and thought that someone would probably do a little better than that. I bid $104.63. The next highest bid was $102.50. I got the jacket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.