Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#127901 - 03/20/08 08:15 PM What clothing for the desert Southwest
WayneConrad Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I need desert clothing. I live in Phoenix, Aridzona. The clothing will be for summer day hikes where it's hot (105+) and dry in the summer, but can cool off dramatically at night. During monsoon, sudden and dramatic thunderstorms are the norm.

I will also use this clothing for marksmanship events. Lots of standing, sitting, and laying in the desert sun.

I've read that cotton kills. But if cotton kills, what keeps me alive? I can't imagine wearing polyester under this sun.

I know I want long sleeve shirts and full length pants.

At 5' 5", buying clothing can be a crap-shoot, size-wise, so I'd like to buy from places in town if possible (We've got REI, Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabella's, Big 5). However, I will gladly look at online sources.

For other reasons, I need clothing that, as much as possible, does not look explicitly military or hunting oriented. Not because military or hunting is bad, but because I want to project an everyday image when I am in town on the way to or from the desert. That means I have a strong preference against camo for this application. I plain, neutral, light colors if at all possible.

I would love a few extra pockets, but I don't want a safari-vest full of pockets. Same reason as above.

Do these requirements suggest anything to you guys? What types of fabrics, what brands, what places to shop come up in your minds?

#127904 - 03/20/08 08:26 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: WayneConrad]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Check out Underarmor for good synthetic undergarments. I like Columbia Sportswear or similar cargo style pants and long sleeve shirts in synthetic as well for their breatability and protection. Look for pants with zip off legs and shirts with lots of venting. Also get a decent hat that will shield your face and neck. I have a good wardrobe of these type of clothes and wear them as business casual at work and around town. They worked much better than cotton clothing while I was in Baghdad, and were a lot more comfortable. The colors and styles are practical and don't have that "tactical" look you are trying to avoid.

The good news is all of the stores you mention carry these type of clothes. The bad news is they are going to be a little more expensive than their cotton equivalents, or regular dress shirts and slacks would be. If you opt for more conventional clothing, I would still recommend synthetics in a hot environment, but look for lighter weight fabrics.

Check out outlet stores if you can find them, you might find some really good deals.

#127909 - 03/20/08 08:45 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: WayneConrad]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i was in the same situation. hot - 90s - 100s - and dry day hikes w/not much cover. during my research i found these and liked them enough to buy them. on sale on line - you just gotta watch the sales.

patagonia gII pants - shorts and zip offs - for several years now. are lightweight, cool, dry fast when wet, no signs of wear yet. pricey but have worn exceptionally well.

zip offs: zip offs shorts: shorts

for shirts: railriders, long sleeves: eco mesh they have no buttons and dry fast. or explorer (santa brought this one): explorer

when i wear out the railriders - maybe in the next century - i will buy one of these: sunday afternoons

they also have geeky looking hats that have a 4" brim and will replace my columbia w/flap when it goes.

good luck!

#127911 - 03/20/08 09:16 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: WayneConrad]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Why not wear cotton? Synthetics (plastics) are bad for the environment and I try to switch to natural fabrics as much as I can. Maybe silk underwear to wick moisture away, and a silk neckerchief ( http://www.jinglebobs.com ). How about some linen garments and bamboo fabric?

Cotton wide brim hat, boonies or I don't know, Tilley if you are over 50 years old and you're willing to spend the money.

Sunglasses. Maybe the bayonnet temples if you plan on wearing helmets. Like the AO Original Pilots.

Poplin and broadcloth long sleeve shirts, like in bright blue, white and ecru, tan, khaki and even pink. Their plain tight weave cut the wind slightly more effectively than Oxford and pinpoint cloth although they breathe slightly less, but they work better as temporary floating devices and are versatile when you are layering since they are so thin. Some more casual shirts come with roll-up sleeves and tabs as a fashion statement but kind of functional too...

Tropical weight wool gabardines, super 100's and the like...

Stick with wool socks regardless of the weather.

I guess good high boots are important to protect against rattlesnake bites (make sure that fangs can't penetrate, i.e. snake proof boots) and scorpions (I don't live there, I'm just guessing) but anyway, never walk with open toed shoes for sure...

Frankie

#127912 - 03/20/08 09:21 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: WayneConrad]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
"Cotton kills" is one of those rules of thumb that will usually keep you alive, but doesn't tell the whole story. Cotton kills when you are wet and cold. It completely loses any insulation value and as water or sweat evaporates it carries away your body heat. Between about 30 and 55 degrees Fahrenheit its enough to turn cool weather into fatal weather. In hot climates, its perfect. Long, loose sleeved cotton shirts and pants will keep the sun off of your skin and slow the evaporation of sweat. This will keep you from burning (although you can still burn through clothing) and keep you cooler while also keeping you from dehydrating as quickly. People will think you're crazy for wearing long sleeves and trousers in the desert sun, but you'll actually be much more comfortable. The US Army's DCUs and BDUs operate on this principle. You loosen the cuffs and wear thinner fabric in the summer versus the winter, but you still wear long sleeves. Cotton or a 50/50 cotton/polyester blend will work fine. For pants, BDU pants in solid grey or tan/khaki will probably fit the bill for you. I can't think of a specific shirt off the top of my head though.

When it cools off at night, just add some light layers. A thin layer of silk or polypro long underwear shirt will warm you significantly when its not too windy, but they'll take up almost no room. If you need more carry a wool or acrylic sweater or a light fleece jacket. Silk, wool and synthetic fleece, acrylic or polypro will all keep a reasonable amount of insulation value even when wet.

For rain any good, unlined rain suit will be perfect. Something you can put on quickly while still wearing your boots.

Hope this helps some.

#127913 - 03/20/08 09:27 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: WayneConrad]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi WayneConrad,

Shirt - http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choic...;subcat_id=6224

or http://www.west-winds.net/ventile_shirts.htm both are cool in the heat and warm at night time.

Undervest - http://www.springfields.co.uk/clothing/underwear-socks/?id=796 or similar. The secret weapon to keeping cool cool

Trouser - http://www.genuinearmysurplus.co.uk/pages/products/makes/detail/rowid=547 - zip off trousers are OK but can be uncomfortable shooting in the prone position. Genuine US BDU trousers in OG or Tan are OK and easier to get but may not be as cool in warm weather.

Hat - http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/...4b211078b8929c7 - keeps the sun off the neck.

For night time cold conditions a heavy merino wool sweater such as this at http://www.davidgoldie.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_Orkney_Sweater.html will keep you warm.

For cold wet conditions then Goretex shell over trouser and jacket may be worthwhile. Goretex Paclite and XCR jackets and trousers are generally available but sometimes difficult to get in subdued colours. Fjallraven and Norrona Jackets might be difficult to get in the US.

#127915 - 03/20/08 09:32 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: AROTC]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I like AROTC comments. I've worn cotton some when it was cold and not had problems, if I had a layer of polypro beneath it, keeping the wet off my skin. Anytime I've done this it was only when I knew I could quickly retreate indoors.

#127924 - 03/20/08 10:10 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: Dan_McI]
LED Offline
Veteran

For the last 6 years or so I've pretty much lived in two types of long sleeve shirts. The Mt. Hardwear Canyon shirt and REI Sahara shirt. Columbia, Patagonia, etc, make similar ones. They work well in every climate, shield from sun/bugs, dry quick, etc. Its arguably my most used piece of gear. IMO, absolute must have utility shirt.

#127933 - 03/20/08 11:13 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: AROTC]
widget Offline
Addict

I agree completely with AROTC and I have lived in the desert SW since 1958.
Try a Cabela's soft canvas trail shirt. Well made, pure cotton and good size pockets.
Pants, use some old Dockers or any number of lightweight, loose fitting cotton pants. Jeans are brutal in the summer for any strenuous actvity! Hope that helps.

#127935 - 03/20/08 11:35 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: widget]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
You live in Arizona (that is in the southwest) and you need to ask what kinds of clothes to use in the southwest? I would think living at a given location you would know what to use in your own backyard.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 243 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.