Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#128064 - 03/22/08 07:26 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: Susan]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
sorry, for me, in the kilt + ticks vs pants + ticks discussion, pants win.

and not meaning any offense or disrespect, but in comparison and only looking for an honest answer - which i know you always give - would you, or any other of the ladies here, go hiking anywhere in an above-the-knee skirt, with or without underwear?

and you don't have to answer the underwear part. grin

Edited by bsmith (03/22/08 07:27 PM)

#128077 - 03/23/08 01:14 AM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: BobS]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

for pants...howzabout the Utilikilt grin lol

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#128080 - 03/23/08 01:44 AM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: bsmith]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...with or without underwear..."

I don't know about the kilt thingy, but in really hot/humid weather, going commando is mucho more comfortable than wearing tightey whiteys...

#128092 - 03/23/08 12:13 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

To be really comfortable in the desert could get you into trouble as the fashion police may want to take you in dead or alive grin

apache moccasins

Utilikilt

Shemagh - Arab Scarf

The heat might not get you but some local rednecks are sure to. whistle

#128099 - 03/23/08 03:54 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
These moccasins are very high. I like the puttee approach, it's versatile and compact and looks like they could make improvised bandage or something. Soldiers in WWI had ankle length boots and add/removed broadcloth puttees as need be. It prevents sands from getting inside of boots and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puttee

#128117 - 03/23/08 07:22 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: WayneConrad]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Hello WayneConrad,

Joe here, I lived in Phoenix for a little over a year and a half. Most of that on one of the two motorcycles I bought while living there. The clothing I used was cotton and leather. Denim pants, cotton shirts and leather jacket or vest.

My recommendations are to read the posts by benjamin and the others who recommend stuff like: coolmax, underarmor heat gear (the half of their line for hot weather) or the like. While I made my combination of leather over cotton work in the 105+ summer sun (actually about 130 degrees 2-3feet off the pavement, I checked temp with a lazer thermometer) you most likely will not be in the (minimum) 35-40 mph breeze I got on two wheels. Also, look at the 5.11 clothing line some one mentioned, most of the pants come with foam knee pads (this may help in some of the shooting positions you mentioned in your original post), they are typically solid color 6 pocket cargo pants. Carry a supply of water that you drink from such as camel back or similar style hydration pack. A light vinyl rain suit or poncho (40 gal garbage bag) will work for the rain. wide brimmed hat in a light color and thermal underwear for nights.

Additionally, keep sun screen handy and bug spray.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with the new changes to your lifestyle.

-Joe-

#128155 - 03/24/08 11:54 AM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
ROTFLMAO!!!

Those Apache boots look like Oompa Loompa gear.

I got the image of someone walking around in the desert wearing all three of your choices at once; the mocs, the kilt, and the shemagh, and I got to thinking that any redneck that saw someone in that get up would be unable to shoot them for laughing too hard to hold a decent bead.

The shemagh is a darned fine piece of headgear, but it doesn't do much to keep my head cool in the desert heat, unless I can get it wet and the air is dry. It is handy as a light neck scarf to help keep you warm at night, marginal as a dust or sand storm sheild, and will keep the sun off your neck pretty well. It is also a good bandit rag for when you want to hide your facial features (as demonstrated in the photo). Last time I used one was while camping in the bush in Queensland last year. We were sleeping under the stars and I was having a bit of trouble with the bugs getting in my face and keeping me up, so I draped my shemagh over my head and tucked it in and had no more worries.

#128293 - 03/25/08 06:26 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: benjammin]
WayneConrad Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the many great replies. I'm looking forward, the next time I venture into the desert, to not being saddled with jeans (hot!) or exposed with shorts and short sleeves. I'll be trying out some of my new desert wear at a shoot in late April.

BSA shirts on order. They look like a steal. I was a scout as a kid, so it won't feel much like I'm impersonating one.

Now for the pants. And maybe the skivvies. Still wrapping my head around that.

Can someone please give me a steer on BDU's? Are they all pretty much the same? Where do I purchase them? That info is probably back there somewhere, huh...

Thanks again for being so helpful to this life-long jeans wearing cityboy.

Edited by WayneConrad (03/25/08 11:17 PM)

#128306 - 03/25/08 07:46 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: WayneConrad]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Here's a site for issued BDU's and other stuff

http://www.milcompass.com/bdutop.htm

#128317 - 03/25/08 08:49 PM Re: What clothing for the desert Southwest [Re: WayneConrad]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Bro, for underwear, go for boxers. I'm a hiker, so I prefer the "boxer briefs" which sort of are like bicycling pants. They really help prevent chafing. Here are some mesh ones that I've used with good success on my hot wx hikes in the SW, including many in AZ. Was stationed in AZ three separate times. http://www.rei.com/product/731994 They also have non-mesh ones. The mesh ones breathe better, but the non mesh ones are a bit more durable. I use the mesh for summer and the non mesh for cooler wx.

These are the pants that I use for hiking: http://www.rei.com/product/746908
100% nylon, lightweight, strong, quick-drying, breathable, zip off legs, and pack really small. Recommend them highly. Bought some cotton ones about the same time. Cotton ones lasted a year or two, but the nylon ones are still going strong (albeit tattered). Of course in wx where it's not going to get too cool at night (>70F?), cotton will retain moisture and keep you cooler. I basically just use the nylon year round so I don't have to have muliple types of hiking pants. Keeps it simpler.

The shirts I like are the nylon ones from Sportif. Sometimes REI will carry them, but I get a lot of good deals at SierraTradingPost.com. Again, they're light, pack small, strong, breathable. The collar, when turned up helps keep the sun off my neck when needed. Some models have an extra fold in the collar that when unfolded covers even more of your neck. The velcro pockets are great for sunglasses, a compass, or even a small camera. Sleeves roll down for sun protection as well. Not too much selection on Sierra Trading Post right now but here are 3 of that brand:
Sportif-USA-UV-Wind-Knot-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-for-Men
Sportif-USA-Drake-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-For-Men
Sportif-USA-Kilimanjaro-Nylon-Shirt-Long-Sleeve-For-Men
I find that they're plenty comfortable after a wash or two.

For shooting, if your firing from the prone, the nylon will be a little thin in terms of providing padding from gravel, etc. If you're firing prone from a mat, no problem. If not, the US Army type BDU's (now ACU's) are great. Google them on the web or go to your local surplus store. I'd want plain kahki were I trying to avoid a military look. The real USGI ones are incredibly tough (I'm talking about the temperate weight 50% Nylon/50% Cotton ones here; the hot wx ones are great too, but not quite as durable). I got issued a pair of BDU pants in 1983 that I still have and are (more or less) wearable. In all fairness, this was a pair I didn't use as much as some other ones I was issued, and I don't wear them on a daily basis -- just outdoors stuff on weekends -- but still, 25 year old pants is pretty good. They're now threadbare in places, have some holes, the pockets have ripped out a bit, and the butt seams are starting to fail, but they've stood up to years of hiking, bushwhacking, and volunteer construction work.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.