Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#128072 - 03/22/08 11:57 PM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: Stretch]
JRJ Offline

Originally Posted By: Stretch
With all due respect, fellows, I would lean toward more respect for Ontario's suit. They've been making knives for a long time (and most of them right here in the USA - a plus). If I have the story right, the Randall RAT series is owned by Ontario and they may have a point to their lawsuit.... well, certainly they think they do. Also, there's almost certainly more to the lawsuit than we can find out.

I'd let them settle it between themselves in court. RAT Cutlery based their name on Ontario's RAT series. I wouldn't speculate as to who's right or who might win out, but I would say they might have a point.

No your misinformed.

Randall's Adventure & Training is not owned by ontario knife.

Ontario Randall's Adventure & Training Knives are a collaboration between Ontario Knife and Randall's Adventure & Training.

Anyways, I received my RC-4 Earlier this week and think it's great.

-JRJ

#128074 - 03/23/08 12:54 AM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: JRJ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
No Bear Claw and JRJ, that's NOT what I said. You quoted it so there's no need to do it again. Read carefully and you will see that nobody in this thread yet has said RAT was owned by Ontario. Series of knives? Yes.

The only point I'm trying to make is this: if the facts are known to us and we've decided one way or the other, why would a court and judge be needed? Ontario's been around awhile, does it make sense they would file a frivolous suit against RAT Cutlery say....just for the fun of it? There may be something to it. Don;t be too quick to judge - that's all I'm saying.

I remind you (why? It's posted up there already), I'm not taking Ontario's side, nor should you be taking RC's so fast. I'm asking myself this: if RC can make their knives as they are, designed as they are, sold as they are, with the RC logo on the blades as they are, why is there a lawsuit?

Edited by Stretch (03/23/08 12:56 AM)

#128075 - 03/23/08 01:07 AM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: Stretch]
LumpyJaw Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Virginia, USA
Back to the RC-4. I couldn't help it. I just bought one.

#128078 - 03/23/08 01:17 AM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: LumpyJaw]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Yes yes. All court actions and boycotting aside, I want one too!

#128081 - 03/23/08 01:47 AM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: Stretch]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
No Bear Claw and JRJ, that's NOT what I said. You quoted it so there's no need to do it again. Read carefully and you will see that nobody in this thread yet has said RAT was owned by Ontario. Series of knives? Yes.

That's what I understood you to be saying, and that's were your misinformed.

Ontario had a licensing agreement with RAT starting in 2002 and ending in 2007 to make knives under that Randall Adventure Training name, but Ontario never owned the name or logo or designs.

They are now trying to steal the man's own company name, that he has been using since 1997.

#128082 - 03/23/08 01:53 AM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I guess we will just have to wait for a judge to make a ruling...

#128084 - 03/23/08 03:41 AM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Originally Posted By: Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp
the Randall RAT series is owned by Ontario

Not sure where you got that, but the Ontario RAT series was being made under a five year contract from 2002-2007. The logo and designs according to the contract always belonged to Jeff Randall who was using the RAT (Randall's Adventure Training) logo and name since 1997.

I personally have seen 100% proof of that.

This was written by Jeff Randall:

The first thing we want to clear up is RAT Cutlery and Ontario RAT are two different companies. Mike and I design both lines but the RAT Cutlery line is solely owned by Mike and myself. Ontario has nothing to do with RAT Cutlery. We receive royalties from the Ontario RAT line for our design work.

Currently RAT Cutlery makes the RC-3 which is an upgraded model of the older RAT-3. We are also introducing an RC-4 and RC-6 before SHOT show time. All of these can be seen on our web site at www.ratcutlery.com There are also plans for a neck knife, tomahawk and forged hand ax for 2008.

What sets RAT Cutlery apart from the Ontario RAT line? RAT Cutlery is not a high production maker. In fact, you might call us more along the lines of "mid-tech." Rowen Manufacturing builds the RAT Cutlery line for us. Once you handle one of our blades you will see the quality, symmetry and attention to detail that goes into RAT Cutlery.

With all that said, we handle customer service for both RAT Cutlery and Ontario RAT. With RAT Cutlery we have a "no questions asked" warranty. You break it or screw it up - we replace it. Our knives will break if you abuse them enough, we make no claims otherwise, but if you abuse it and break it then we'll send you another one. If you have an issue with an Ontario RAT knife then please come to us on that also and we will do everything in our power to satisfy you.

You will also notice major upgrades to sheathing when you buy a RAT Cutlery product. Mike and I have invested a pile of money in molds and other components to build the most versatile sheathing in the market.

Mike and I both consider most all the production companies and knife makers friends of ours. In fact, we regularly steer users towards the great products made by companies such as KaBar, SOG, Kershaw and many others. We are in competition with NO ONE. We make no claims that our knife is the best at anything. We let our users and customers speak to the quality of the blades and the guys behind them (us).

Lastly, RAT Cutlery is heavily involved in building knives for law enforcement agencies. We specialize in private label and specialized knives. If you have a project, then we will look at it and quote it.

#128085 - 03/23/08 04:24 AM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: Stretch]
JRJ Offline

I was simply pointing out your inaccurate statement "RAT Cutlery based their name on Ontario's RAT series". Again, RAT stands for Randall's Adventure & Training. So let's try this again. The company Randall's Adventure & Training contract ended with the company ontario knife co who produced a line called ontario randall's adventure & training knifes using "RAT's" Intellectual Property. Randall's Adventure & Training "RAT" formed RAT Cutlery and has Rowen producing their new line of knives and soon their old models as well.

The only point I'm trying to make is this: if the facts are known to us and we've decided one way or the other, why would a court and judge be needed? Ontario's been around awhile, does it make sense they would file a frivolous suit against RAT Cutlery say....just for the fun of it? There may be something to it. Don;t be too quick to judge - that's all I'm saying.

It's anti-competitive behavior, it's calculated, not "for fun". Your statement's seem very naive. RAT Cutlery is a small business, 2 man operation. These guy's would go bankrupt just trying to play in court with ontario's bankrolled lawyers. Regardless if Rat Cutlery was right, if they go bankrupt would ontario losing their lawsuit really be a loss to them?

Thank god a private donor helped with money and lawyers for RAT Cutlery or else that would have been it for them.

I remind you (why? It's posted up there already), I'm not taking Ontario's side, nor should you be taking RC's so fast. I'm asking myself this: if RC can make their knives as they are, designed as they are, sold as they are, with the RC logo on the blades as they are, why is there a lawsuit?

I don't sit on the fence for any issue, especially BS like this. It's pretty transparent what's going on here. If you think big companies don't file frivolous suits.. I have a bridge for sale, for cheap, if your interested.

-JRJ

#128091 - 03/23/08 12:01 PM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: Polak187]
Bear_Claw_Chris_Lapp Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Sector 16
Originally Posted By: Polak187

This was written by Jeff Randall:

What you quoted is from last year, much of the situation has changed since then, as a result of Ontarios actions.

Originally Posted By: Jeff Randall
With all that said, we handle customer service for both RAT Cutlery and Ontario RAT.

03-14-08 "if you have warranty issues that Mike normally handles for you, please contact Ontario direct since we are no longer associated with Ontario Knife Company."

#128096 - 03/23/08 03:07 PM Re: RAT Cutlery RC-4 [Re: JRJ]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: JRJ

I don't sit on the fence for any issue, especially BS like this. It's pretty transparent what's going on here. If you think big companies don't file frivolous suits.. I have a bridge for sale, for cheap, if your interested.

-JRJ

Ok JRJ, the issue of who owns what is lost on me. I retract any mention of which company owns who and who owns why or where. It's true, everyone in this forum knows I'm naive, so I'll concede that I was wrong in trying to make a point.

BUT...if it's not too much trouble, can you tell me the legal basis of Ontario's suit? Surely it's "on the web" somewhere and you've read it in its entirety. Just paraphrase please. Thanks.

I'll take the bridge if it's cheap enough AND delivered.

Edited by Stretch (03/23/08 03:09 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.