Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#128031 - 03/21/08 07:44 PM Knife shape
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I need to learn a bit about knife geometry. Why are different knives shaped the way they are ? Especially when you look at the point and the edge geometry seems to have a purpose.

A few days ago I was checking some fixed blade knives and saw one with a "typical" shape, but when touching the edge it was not sharp, rather it was thick !!! Then I realized that it was the other (straight) side that was sharp !! It had a sheath and attached sharpener just like a hunting knife but I dont think it is practical for hunting or camping, or am I wrong ?

I have seen some small elctrician (folding) knives with straight edges, but not a six-inch fixed blade . Isnt that strange ? And what it is used for ?

#128033 - 03/21/08 07:50 PM Re: Knife shape [Re: Chisel]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I have seen gardening knives shaped like this, I also have a Buck folding serrated blade in this shape. I find it to be a very stong blade.

The edge may also be "safer" as mine has no sharp point, I often use it to cut rope in a marine enviroment where often the rocking of the boat makes using a knive tricky. Rescue knives may also have this rounded point feature to protect both the user and the rescue victim.

Mike

Edited by SwampDonkey (03/21/08 07:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Added the safety aspect

#128067 - 03/22/08 10:41 PM Re: Knife shape [Re: SwampDonkey]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I'm guessing you were looking at a wharncliff blade. The edge is straight and the spine is curved.... like a drop-point where the "drop" just continues all the way down to the edge. I've never seen one in a six-inch blade, though...

Edited by Stretch (03/22/08 10:42 PM)

#128108 - 03/23/08 05:56 PM Re: Knife shape [Re: Stretch]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Santoku style Chef's knives are shaped this way.

#128143 - 03/24/08 03:46 AM Re: Knife shape [Re: ]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Yes, it is like the blade on the left but is about six inch fixed blade.

In any case, I need some knife education. Blades have different shapes for a purpose. Looking at this two blade folding knife in the picture , where would you use each blade ?

#128147 - 03/24/08 05:58 AM Re: Knife shape [Re: Chisel]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Chisel,

Take a look at this:
http://www.beckwithsblades.com/encyclopedia.cfm?Term=24

also look at A.G.Russel's website for some good information on blade styles and metals used.

Joe

#128161 - 03/24/08 12:28 PM Re: Knife shape [Re: Chisel]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I like using straight edge blades for wire/coaxial work. It helps keep the cut around the sheath and the outer conductor clean and even. It also seems to work better at ripping material, like carpet or belting, as the material being cut doesn't slip as easily off the tip of the blade.

#128164 - 03/24/08 01:01 PM Re: Knife shape [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Probably why I use a utility knife a lot for that kind of stuff...

#128185 - 03/24/08 03:07 PM Re: Knife shape [Re: Chisel]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Chisel,

When I was 15 I had my first "real" job at a place that was a combination bakery/campground/nursery and also had about 2 acres of indoor commercial rose garden. The workers who harvested the roses used folding Victorinox knives with a single "sheepfoot" blade, they looked like this SAK Gardner but with black scales, http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=40

I carried one of these knives for a while but it had been sharpened so many times that the blade tip was exposed when closed, it cut a hole in my pocket and I lost it quickly.

Mike

#151048 - 10/06/08 03:17 PM Re: Knife shape [Re: SwampDonkey]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

A very late ( Thank You ) guys. Partly because I am not very regular on this forum.

Sometimes I feel guilty for coming here inly to get info and ideas, and when I get some, I disappear. Baaad boy !

The question of knife shape still challenges me. The links above didnt all give pictures of different models and I visited websites like blade forums but it was too much info and I didnt want to have a PhD in knives.

So, I have a few simple questions about knife shape.

First the partially seerrated edge.

Do you really find it practical ? I have seen a few folders that are a few inch long and HALF of the edge is straight and half is serrated. I mean each part is not long enough to do any good. Or am I wrong ?

Seems to me that a folder with two blades, one serrated and one straight is better. Dont you think ?

Second is the tip

Well MOST OF THE TIMES, the tip comes on the spine side (on the "upper" side) , and there are knives with the tip just in the middle , and RARELY - as in our example above- the tip comes in the "bottom" ( meaning blade side)

Let's ignore the last one, would you prefer the tip to come in the center or "upper side" and why ?

Third but not least there is the area between the tip and blade. Mostly it would be round. However, there are a few models ( like in some survival or combat knives) where a part of the blade is like a 45 degrees chisel. I'll find a picture to illustrate and would appreciate to know the function and putrpose of each design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.