Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#127903 - 03/20/08 08:24 PM Used Quick Clot Sport; review
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Sorry no gnarly photos but I gashed my left hand Tuesday night doing some demolition work on my bathroom. While wearing nitrile gloves instead of my workgloves (don't ask) I sliced across the middle knuckle of three fingers with a piece of edge molding. The ring finger has a 1/2 inch slice about 1/8 inch deep with a nice flapper. It immedialtley began to bleed pretty badly.
I had a few samples of Quick Clot Sport on hand and decided to try it. The cut was probably not really bad enough but my curiosity was engaged.
I applied the QC "bean bag" across the back of my cut fingers and wrapped an elastic bandage to apply pressure. 20 minutes later the blood on all three cuts was clotted and the ring finger laceration looked like I had cut it the day before. The wound was closed shut and no longer bleeding.
I have had similar cuts and it usually takes an hour or so for the bleeding to stop when wrapped with a non-adherent pad and cohesive bandage.
Although I used it on a pretty superficial wound I did get an idea of how it would work on a more serious wound.
This stuff retails for about $10 for a 25G pack. This size would work on a cut 20 times worse than I had.
Check it out; it can really come in hand when you get a REAL bleeder.
http://www.z-medica.com/products/quikclot_sport.asp

Bill

Edited by billym (03/20/08 09:13 PM)

#127934 - 03/20/08 11:17 PM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: billym]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
How quick do you think the bleeding would have stopped without the Quick Clot? The reason I ask is that about 2-years ago I was cutting 2 by 6 boards for a new set of stairs in a house I was helping a guy rebuild. The support I was using (2-buckets turned upside down) slipped away and cut off ¾ of an inch of my left index finger.

It bead a fair amount for maybe 15-min and then went to a very slight dribble about the time we got to the hospital. You would think it would gush blood like crazy all the while the wound was open, but it didn’t. And it really didn’t hurt that much. I don’t know that a clotting agent would have made a big difference.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#127940 - 03/20/08 11:56 PM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: billym]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I had bought 2 packs of Quick clot, one for the BOB and one I carry to work due to the nature of the work I do. I haven't had the chance to test it yet and hope not to but I have seen some positive comments and test so far.

Warning Video: Graphic of the use on a pig

http://www.cmmginc.com/cmmg_images/tbl_images/vids/QUIKCLOT.MPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zySDcHSjbg

And some chat about it.

http://www.swampratknifeworks.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000495

#127971 - 03/21/08 02:56 AM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: billym]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: billym
I had a few samples of Quick Clot Sport on hand and decided to try it.

Bill,

Where did you score the samples?

Jim

#127973 - 03/21/08 03:13 AM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: BobS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have never seen a bleeding wound that did not yield to direct pressure, and that includes a virtual amputation of an arm, as well as quite a few open fractures. I can't even recall having to use a pressure point.

#128015 - 03/21/08 04:39 PM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: hikermor]
billym Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have never seen a bleeding wound that did not yield to direct pressure, and that includes a virtual amputation of an arm, as well as quite a few open fractures. I can't even recall having to use a pressure point.

You are correct. QC makes direct pressure more effective. I have seen their data and thhe new version causes almost immediate clotting. BUt yes direct pressure is still the proven method.

JIm,
Sorry but can't give up my sources. smile
Bill

Edited by billym (03/21/08 04:40 PM)

#128018 - 03/21/08 04:57 PM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: billym]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Having been in EMS for (oh I forget exactly) 20+ years.....I have NEVER used a torniquet....I've done direct pressure....I've done pressure dressing and I've done a pressure point. But that is all......QC should be for the BIG stuff

#128022 - 03/21/08 05:41 PM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: CJK]
billym Offline
Addict

I used to think that to. You are trained so it is pretty standard SOP for you.
Many folks who are not trained as you are do not GET the concept of direct pressure. This product raises the success curve for these folks. It is NOT the same application used by LEO and military.
I have been involved in assesing the viabtility of these types of products (QC, Celox etc) to the outdoor consumer market for the past two years. I was totally against QC the original version. This new version is designed for non professionals and meant to be used for a broad range of injury from gunshot to bad cut.
I have had numerous serious cuts on my hands, fingers and arms from all kinds of incidents in may life. I have stopped my own bleeding everytime. With the QC it took less than a tenth of how long it would have taken without it. It does not replace direct pressure it enhances it by thickening the blood so it clots naturally.
I expect some old school pros to think it is a gimmick. I bet the first time you use it in the field you will think differently. Yes it is for the BIG stuff but that is relative to whether you are an EMT or Soccer Mom. As I said I used it on a fairly supperficial cut because I have samples and it was my first time to see how it works. It made a fan out of me.
Who said anything about a tourniquet?
Bill

Edited by billym (03/21/08 05:43 PM)

#128035 - 03/21/08 08:34 PM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: billym]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Prior to me mentioning it....no one said anything about the torniquet.......Just added it as a reference to the level of bleeding I've dealt with and what response was needed......

I didn't mean to give the idea that I thought it was a gimmick...I've seen some pretty good responses of people who have used it....I just think that more people need to have the basics reinforced......

Part of the 'problem' with my post.....I am 'on duty' right now and when I posted that, I had been dispatched to respond to a medical call....so I typed as fast as I could and didn't get to put everything in just the right context.....didn't mean to sound doubtful or get short with any point of view. Sorry if I did.

#128037 - 03/21/08 09:47 PM Re: Used Quick Clot Sport; review [Re: CJK]
billym Offline
Addict

CJK,
Yes you are right the basics are key and direct pressure is a proven basic skill. I am sure you are better suited to judge this product than I am. I just thought you were dismissing it as now I know you were not.
I would place it just before a tourniquet in degrees of bleeding and its appplication but this QC Sport product will work for soccer moms too.
Blood freaks a lot of lay people out so this takes that component to a less severe level. It stopps the blood.
PM me and I will see if I can get you a sample. Sorry folks I only have access to a few samples.
Bill

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.