Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#127738 - 03/19/08 03:18 AM Blast's tips for camping with children
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Taking a page from Aloha's book, I took my two daughters (2 & 4 years old) camping with a group of other families last weekend:

Everyone mostly made it back...

I suspect after this the cat incident will be forgotten.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#127740 - 03/19/08 04:04 AM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: Blast]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

thats hilarious! sounds like you had a good time! One time I went camoing with another family when I was younger and all the other parent brought in way of food for his kids was 3 boxes of poptarts sans microwave... that was...interesting

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#127742 - 03/19/08 04:53 AM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: Blast]
LED Offline
Veteran

Holy crap Blast, that was funny. Good narrative, thanks for sharing. And next time double bag the chili, nice save though. grin

#127747 - 03/19/08 12:43 PM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: LED]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Sounds like a great weekend even with a few problems. I have on question though inevery thing that happened what makes you think there is enough there to make us forget about you and your cat. Had it been your knife and leg maybe. besides if every one forgot about the cat we might never here from Blitz again.

#127750 - 03/19/08 01:27 PM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: Blast]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
That was great, Blast! You're a brave man.

It reminds me that the wifee is gung-ho to go camping again the moment the state parks here open up in april. Woo-hoo!

You realize now that all the "extra stuff" that Momma insists on bringing along is actually essential when camping with kids. I plan to give her virtually free reign as far as what to bring.

"Blast: Learning the hard way so you don't have to!"

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#127751 - 03/19/08 01:28 PM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Sounds like a fun weekend, and you got to learn some important lessons re keeping kids happy. I am a little confused about one thing tho, you brought your minimal amout of stuff in a little red wagon, but from the pics others drug theirs to camp in full sized pickups and Honda mini-SUV's. What's with that???

#127754 - 03/19/08 01:59 PM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: Blast]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Blast--that was a Blast!!--i can see i'll have to read more
of your blog in detail..kids and camp food--thats a subject..
i took my daughter on a short canoe trip when she was little
and found out right away that MRE's may be a treat for Dad
but kids turn up their nose at them--hot dogs and beans would
have been a better choice...

#127756 - 03/19/08 02:03 PM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: OldBaldGuy]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Blast I just you to know your not alone on this one DW has all knowing power when it comes to camping, if DW can't come (which is rare) she helps pack the truck for the trip, my job is to fuel, check oil, tires and misc. My first aid kit is always packed last (in case of emergency on the way to camp)drive and feed kids as soon as we get there(usually around 1130), set up tent trailer (I know I can hear the groans now) DW does all the rest (set up kitchen etc.)after trailer I get busy building very large bonfire (in firepit)to last until after dinner, DW and I eat around 1400 and DS and DD go play and explore, (with FRS radios) and DR PSK's (they rarely go beyond sight of the campsite)and yes I am the goto guy for campground emergencies (EMT-I).
BTW no way are we forgetting the cat incident

Mike

#127760 - 03/19/08 02:59 PM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: kd7fqd]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Camping with kids is a real joy, to see them run and play, give your life meaning. And everything is a new wonderful experience to them. Kids love campfires, Marshmallows are a must, as is a pie iron to make pizzas.

My son who is now 18 and has discovered woman and cars so the camping is on the back burner for a while. He still loves it when I can get him out camping, but it’s not the priority it once was for him. Enjoy the time in the outdoors with your kids while you can.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#127762 - 03/19/08 03:12 PM Re: Blast's tips for camping with children [Re: kd7fqd]
kmat Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Spring, Texas
Blast,
Thanks for the pics and wonderful narrative. Wish I could have been there with all of you. Dr. D was in Colorado so lucky me got to take care of his patients and mine. Looks as if you and the girls had a great time. I'll see you in the borderlands soon
kmat

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.