Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#127703 - 03/18/08 08:28 PM What to pack in a survival trunk/box?
JRR Offline

There are lots of threads on survival kits, go bags, ditch kits, etc, but I don't see much discussion on longer term kits that one might store in an suv/pickup, etc.

I have a decent sized trunk that rides in the back of my Bronco. I can fit a goodly amount of gear in there. I also keep a backpack, mostly filled with camping gear just in case I find a 3 day weekend and want to get the hell out for a few days. That plus a mini survival kit I keep on my person whenever I hit the woods. But I digress. What should I keep in the box in the truck other than redundant items, I'd also have in the backpack? As I said, I have plenty of room for outdoor gear, not so much for chainsaws and such. Oh, I also have tools and jumper cables, etc already taken care of, so I'm mainly interested in wilderness or survival gear.

Thanks.

#127708 - 03/18/08 08:59 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: JRR]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Is this to bug out or just escape for a weekend?
From memory in my truck:
1. Get-me-home-bag (similar to bug-out bag but designed to get me home from work)
2. Maps of Houston, Dallas, Texas and the surrounding three states in each direction.
3. USA/Canada/Mexico road atlas
4. hygiene kit (toothbrushes, antipersperent, toilet paper, seat covers, comb, soap, wash clothes)
5. Coveralls plus change of clothes
6. Tools (regular tool kit, air compressor, tire pressure gauge, jumper cables, etc...)
7. Big first aid kit (though mainly filled with gauze and bandages)
8. Extraction tools (come-along, tow strap)
9. Two extra large spraycans of fix-a-flat
10. assorted flashlights
11. AA-powered, waterproof radio
12. spare batteries
13. small folding stool (actually in house awaiting repairs right now)
14. assorted paperback books and magazines
15. deck of cards
16. tarp
17. ropes of assorted sizes and materials
18. spare diapers and baby wipes (note to self: replace diapers with larger size!)
19. Stuffed animal (monkey)
20. folding saw
21. water
22. assorted tie-down straps and bungie cords
23. mess kit and canteen

There's more, but that's the main stuff.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#127709 - 03/18/08 09:28 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: Blast]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I like a lot of Blast's list. Each person's list is probably going to differ and fit what they feel suits them, their abilities, their knowledge, their needs and wants, their environment, etc. I've also noted a tendency by many people who post here to reevaluate the stuff in their kits, BOBs, etc.

I would add another tarp to Blast's list. They are useful things. And I like the waterproof radio and flashlights, with battery power, but having the ability to crank for power too is something I like. I have radios which can be powered by both. And in place of or in addition to the toilet paper, I like wipes.

Overall, I think the kit should be much the same, with the additions to keep the vehicle running.

Now, I need to go and look at what's in the SUV, and think about what should be there.

#127714 - 03/18/08 10:17 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: Dan_McI]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Well, since you have tools for the vehicle and camping gear already, I would make a list of things you would normally consider too heavy for a survival kit. Things that would increase your chances of survival or just things that would make a situation more comfortable. Two things I carry that fit the bill are a full sized shovel (one of the ones with a shorter "D" handle) and an ax. Do you need them, probably not, but they have so many uses and hatchets and kukris and E-tools can only accomplish so much. If you have to clear a downed tree from a road, you want an ax. If you need to move snow or mud to move a vehicle you want a shovel. Then how about boots, a decent winter coat and a rain suit. I would guess you probably already have a sleeping bag and stove in the camping gear, but if not I would consider putting them in your car. Together they'll insure you're warm and well fed. Just a few ideas.

#127717 - 03/18/08 10:59 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: AROTC]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
This was on an earlier post, but how about something to help signal your location? Flares, hunting-orange vest, etc? In case you get stuck, bright is better. Throw some rope and a few orange bandannas, you can string up a flag on the nearest pole or tree.

I think that Blast hit the big stuff. A cell phone car charger, maybe a CB radio.

Some of it too depends on where you're living. Streets of LA, vs. the backwoods of Maine can have much different req's!

#127722 - 03/18/08 11:39 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: MDinana]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I don't have a truck or an SUV, but I do have a lockbox in my bedroom closet, like you would see on a fishing boat or something. Inside it's got some canned food, water, a Sterno heater, radio, tools, and some other important things. If I had to I imagine I could just grab the box and stick it in the trunk of my car. But for now it just serves as an emergency supply box at home, if I need something extra for a few days, or need to grab something to go in the basement during a tornado.

#127725 - 03/18/08 11:49 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: MDinana]
EHCRain10 Offline

Loc: VA
I would suggest either a roll of surveyor's tape or a can of orange spray paint if you want a way to signal.
either one would provide multiple chances to signal the people who are trying to find you.

#127792 - 03/19/08 07:24 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: Blast]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Number 19 is essential.

#127794 - 03/19/08 07:44 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: MoBOB]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Number 19 is essential.

More than #18?

#127801 - 03/19/08 08:26 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: Nishnabotna]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Here's what's in my trunk boxes (from memory...I'll check the box when I get home and edit if needed)

1: A box: Plastic with a lid that will keep water out if rained on...inside of which is the following:
2: Belt Knife (one of my many surplus sharps)
3: Multitool
4: AA LED Flashlight (with batteries reversed just in case)
5: Hand crank LED flashlight/radio/cell phone charger
6: Duct tape
7: Folding Shovel
8: Stainless cup for scooping/cooking/whatever-ing
9: Esbit or canteen stove
10: 24 Hexamine tablets
11: Mechanics gloves
12: First Aid Kit
13: Glow Sticks
14: Hatchet/Axe (One box has a Trailblazer pack hatchet. My Jeep always has an axe in the back besides the box)
15: Bic Lighter AND a jet style butane lighter
16: Lifeboat matches in waterproof container
17: Tinders (waterproof)
18: Food (cans of soup and some snacks)
19: Water purification tablets
20: 12V tire air pump
21: Booster cables

Then I have a jumbo size Ziploc storage bag (the smallest of the super jumbo storage bags) with:

1: Blanket (The $10 kind so I can use it to crawl under the car to work if I have to without getting too dirty)
2: Wool gloves
3: Neck warmer/head over
4: Toque
* In summer I'll swap out the 'warm clothes' for just 'extra clothes' so I have something to change into if I break down in my nice work clothes and need to spend any amount of time somewhere.

I also have the obligatory tool kit which has all the repair stuffs. Mine are in need of overhauling...something I need to do before my next big road trip.

#127822 - 03/19/08 10:36 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: Nishnabotna]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Blast is looking for larger #18s, don't they call those depends?

#127825 - 03/19/08 11:51 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: JRR]
Hookpunch Offline

I can't add much to the lists already here , about the only thing I would add is a knee pad, comes in handy changing tires, inflating tires etc.

#127832 - 03/20/08 12:34 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: Hookpunch]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I would make sure you had a length of chain to pull a downed tree out of the way (along with a come along)

Spare belts for the truck, I was watching a show on Discovery ch a few years ago and the truck they were driving drove through some water (2 or 3 feet) and it threw a belt. May have been caused by debris in the water?

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#127841 - 03/20/08 01:26 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: BobS]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Perhaps:

http://tinyurl.com/3aas8r

[wilderness survival kits video 1 hr 5 min]

#127889 - 03/20/08 04:09 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: Nishnabotna]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

You win! However, it always good to have a monkey around. Possibly a "trunk monkey"?

#128013 - 03/21/08 04:38 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: MoBOB]
JRR Offline

Good lists, guys. I have most of that in there already, as well as redundant camping gear. Just wondering if I was leaving anything important out.

#128737 - 03/30/08 02:24 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: JRR]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Check your messages. They are under My Stuff.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#128743 - 03/30/08 03:28 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: JRR]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Most of the stuff I'd add have been mentioned. What I didn't see:

Comealong.

Silcock key.

Current sniffer.

Methenol stove, even if it is just a pepsi can stove- they can burn dry gas.

Spare belt, and pry bar to work on the tensioner.

Spare wiper blades.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#128766 - 03/30/08 07:15 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: ironraven

If you mean gasoline OMG NO!

#128774 - 03/30/08 09:14 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Whoof!!!

#128785 - 03/31/08 12:18 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Dry gas- Hacksaw, you must know HEET in the yellow bottle, you live in Alberta. The stuff to get water out of fuel lines? That is what you use.

Using gasoline in one... yeah, it would be a rocket if you were lucky.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#128787 - 03/31/08 12:36 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: ironraven]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I've never heard the term dry gas before...but since you put it in that perspective, it makes sense since it takes the water out of gas smile

A Pepsi Can Stove and a bottle of HEET would make a great addition to a trunk kit since the HEET serves several purposes.

You could also use the windshield washer antifreeze designed for SUPER low temps since it's mostly alcohol...another multi-tasker. Around here I only use the winter stuff all year...you never know when it's going to freeze...even in June or July!

#128812 - 03/31/08 12:01 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Hacksaw

IIRC, dry gas is pretty much ethanol, not gasoline. And soemone with a chemistry background might correct me, but I think adding it to gas is supposed to allow a mixture between water and gasoline. Gas and water won't mix, but ethanol will mix with both. Is that right?

#128828 - 03/31/08 02:06 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: ]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL

Oh, I'm certain they can burn it once!

#128830 - 03/31/08 02:32 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: Dan_McI]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

IIRC, dry gas is pretty much ethanol, not gasoline. And soemone with a chemistry background might correct me, but I think adding it to gas is supposed to allow a mixture between water and gasoline. Gas and water won't mix, but ethanol will mix with both. Is that right?

Ethanol absorbs water...readily. Normally gasoline floats on water which is why water does such a good job of rusting the bottoms out of fuel tanks. The Ethanol absorbs the water, then disperses with the fuel, being burned with the rest of the gas during normal combustion.

#128849 - 03/31/08 05:39 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: ]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Can you say "Richard Pryor"?

#128850 - 03/31/08 05:41 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: MoBOB]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: MoBOB
Can you say "Richard Pryor"?

Are you saying that all trunk kits should have 'milk and cookies'? wink

#128851 - 03/31/08 05:44 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: MoBOB]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Dry gas - maybe "gas drier" would have been more appropriate. But HEET clears it all up.

BTW, I built a "Pepsi can stove". When I went to purchase the HEET I had to show ID for some reason. Anyway, the stove worked as advertised. Now, if I can seal it properly it would be even better.

My DS thought it was pretty cool.

#128891 - 03/31/08 11:58 PM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: MoBOB]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
MoBOB, you had to show the ID because the HEET is an often abused product. It is commonly used in the production of Methamphetamine. Some areas are becoming very restrictive on the sale, especially in warmer climates. There are several other items on the LEO watch list also. In my area, the possession of several bottles of HEET (usually more than 6), and a high index of suspicion, is all that is needed for LEO to obtain a search warrant.

#128900 - 04/01/08 01:16 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: rescueguru]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

It's not really funny but last year I bought a 40 gal. pail of Hydrochloric acid for some metal work I was doing...also used in the manufacture of Meth and I didn't get ID'd or anything.

#128911 - 04/01/08 02:08 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: rescueguru]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Heck, in some places (parts of WA for example), you can only buy two nasal sprays at a time...

#128917 - 04/01/08 02:37 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

*shrugs* We call it dry gas around here. Even on the bottle. But wiper fluid has too much water in it, I think it is mostly isopropyl (sp)

#128918 - 04/01/08 02:40 AM Re: What to pack in a survival trunk/box? [Re: rescueguru]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Geeze- I had a trooper stop behind me while changing a tire a couple weeks ago. The 8 bottles of HEET and two bottles of injectionr cleaner in my box o' junk must have looked funny to him.

Although, given the state of my car...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.