Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#127659 - 03/18/08 12:10 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: falcon5000]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Prescription Drugs in Drinking Water...

Dosage, dosage, dosage... There is a little bit over everything in everything... but how much?

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#127664 - 03/18/08 12:56 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: thseng]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

This is true about dosage, pesticides were in the water here in small dosages many moons ago, the quantities went from PPB (Parts per billion) to PPM (Parts per million) and has been increasing ever since. My concern is the early detection of these particles are just starting to show up now in our aquifer which leads me to believe in a few years the seepage will increase expodentionaly. This is the same thing that happened with the nitrates.

That's the bad thing about man kind, were just as bad as animals (which pee and crap in there drinking water), we bury everything thinking it's a solution to things. And when we bury things the rain water washes the contaminates down through the soil and into our drinking water and then we wonder why? Burying anything under ground hasn't accomplished anything but shortening our future. But what do I know I'm not a PHD.

The only thing I see in the horizon that may be good for storing things under ground is heated water from solar and wind technology to pull that water back out at night to produce energy when the sun and wind are gone. Interesting idea....

Here's the idea with wind and solar.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Energy/19440/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10695864/

#127673 - 03/18/08 03:15 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: falcon5000]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Sorry but going back on topic, I just spoke with the owner of Wiggy's and he assured me the water bottles that this topic originally started out about are in fact 32 oz the description on the web site is incorrect, he will be changing it today. Now feel free to go off topic.......LOL

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#127684 - 03/18/08 05:18 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: Shadow_oo00]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Sorry Shadow_oo00, I tend to do that more times than not, it's one of those comments that triggers something that I tend to ramble on about. I'll try to keep it at rest.
Thanks and sorry, Now back to the topic.

#127687 - 03/18/08 05:59 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: falcon5000]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Everyone does it, no biggie.........actually I get a good laugh out of it. It always happens, not sure why either. I made it a point once to look at other posts not just the ones I wrote and sure enough more often than not all posts tend to go off topic. I think its human nature to, like when you tell someone something and by the time it gets back to you its stretched a bit.I don't think we have it in us not to.

Ramble on....LOL

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#127732 - 03/19/08 01:49 AM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: AyersTG]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
I guess most posts are based on experience or lack of.

Not all cold winter areas have snow. Picture high desert areas. The only water you have is the water you carry with you. One winter setting up a hunt camp the fifty gallon plastic drum of water froze solid before we could get the tent set up and heated. I thawed it out with two white gas lanterns while it was still inside my trucks canopy, but it took awhile. Usually a thermos is to small or if large, to heavy to carry enough water to hunt all day. Our hunting party always carries multiple old military stainless steel canteens or stainless steel bottles. Even with insulated covers after a long day most are partially or totally frozen. So heating by a warming fire is common. Melting snow, where available, is both time and fuel consuming and if done to fast can scorch the pot and taste nasty. Most SS canteens and bottles are narrow mouth which limits their use to drinking only and can be difficult to clean. These newer wide mouth SS bottles are more versatile.

The only plastic water containers I carry now are bladders but they just augment the SS canteens or bottles.

Edited by turbo (03/19/08 01:52 AM)
Edit Reason: Correction

#127736 - 03/19/08 02:58 AM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: turbo]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Originally Posted By: turbo
Not all cold winter areas have snow. Picture high desert areas. The only water you have is the water you carry with you.

Yep. Exclude, for the moment, barren alpine and tundra areas (I've got a story or two to tell about THOSE and water - but another time). My time in high desert areas such as Yakima is limited to months, not years, and pretty much all of it non-recreational. Bring enough water.

Obviously we also agree about the wide mouth SS bottles...

Regards,

Tom

#127802 - 03/19/08 08:40 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: AyersTG]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
My Wiggy's 1qt bottle is GREAT. It is 12.4 oz and does have a rim on the bottom. I bought it recently, because I have had to melt water or show in my bottle before. I am very happy with it. I carry it in my daypack (not my trip bag where I have several pots) where I only have one other pot (a Ti .85 Liter tea kettle/mug). The tea kettle boils/cooks while the bottle melts. My Wiggy's bottle is a replacement for an older and much heavier SS lab bottle I had. It is much better. I do not have the insulating bag, in the winter I put it into something insulating (my parka most of the time) that I am carrying anyway. I have the cup (6.6 oz) and it is OK, but it does not fit the bottle well (too loose), the handles are loose in the hinges and flop around and it is somewhat heavy for what it is. I often use a double wall cup in the winter, I have them in SS and plastic and have been thinking about the Snow Peak Ti one (anyone used one?).

I also have a SIGG stainless bottle (6.9 oz) (a replica of the 1940's Swiss canteen) with a black coating and a well designed cup (6.9 oz). It has a small SIGG opening (poor for snow) and only carries .6 L. I carry it every day while around town and sometimes it goes into my ruck. Usually without the cup.

SIGG aluminum water bottles have a coating in them which eliminates their use on a fire, but does allow acidic liquids to be carried.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#127826 - 03/19/08 11:53 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Jerry:

Haven't used their Ti cup, but have their gas canisters and a couple of their pots. Everything they make that I've seen so far is good stuff and their Ti stuff is darned light weight. Haven't had any problems with crushing or bending up my Ti pots. A bit scuffed and a tad blackend, but hey that's to be expected, right?

#127890 - 03/20/08 04:10 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: Shadow_oo00]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: Shadow_oo00
Sorry but going back on topic, I just spoke with the owner of Wiggy's and he assured me the water bottles that this topic originally started out about are in fact 32 oz the description on the web site is incorrect, he will be changing it today. Now feel free to go off topic.......LOL

When you get it, can you please measure it, and let us know for certain what it holds. I myself called Wiggy's about a month ago, to order one of these, and they told me that it was 1/2 liter. If it really is 32oz, I will be getting one myself, maybe, even though the price is slightly astronomical.

Thanks!

Dave

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.