Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#127614 - 03/17/08 09:49 PM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One interesting feature on nearly all sleeping bags is occupancy. Unless they feature a zip together mating of zippers, capacity is one. We all get to climb into our very own, grownup, luddite or techno freak cocooon of happiness and drift of to the dreamtime with didgereedoos lulling us to sleep. What some people don't understand is the forum rules cannot be ripped off and discarded like a mattress tag.Wierd things might happen never mentioned in outdoor books about bear attacks and killer storms. Luddite administrators might just take a Fallkniven, or, God Forbid a firehardened speartip and hit the ban button.

#127616 - 03/17/08 10:14 PM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
One interesting feature on nearly all sleeping bags is occupancy. Unless they feature a zip together mating of zippers, capacity is one. We all get to climb into our very own, grownup, luddite or techno freak cocooon of happiness and drift of to the dreamtime with didgereedoos lulling us to sleep.

Well, the guys that I hike/camp/backpack with appreciate that separation. smile Seriously though, now that I'm getting married (2.5 weeks), the mateable issue is on my mind for the first time. Definitely a good design feature of a Wiggy's bag, particularly since my wife to be is 4'11", 90# (right after Thanksgiving supper) and sleeps cold. Hmm. Well, maybe Wiggys just went back on my list of things that would meet some of my immediate needs after all. lol. Good input. Thanks for that, Chris.

#127619 - 03/17/08 11:29 PM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My sleeping bags evolved after a freezing night on a field trip to Anza-Borrega in one of those cheap car bags. I went out with my very next G.I. bill payment and looked at bags at my local, and vry knowledgeable dealer. He had top of the line down bags and I could choose either cobalt blue or scarlett red, very popular colours. As an aside, he mentioned having two four season rated bags I could have for $40 LESS than the regular bags, with the caveat they came in this peagreen colour and were discontinued for that reason.I bought the bag, a Berkeley made Trailwize.I slept warm for 20 odd years in it until body oils, repeated compression and time took their toll. I recycled it one spring by cutting the bag open and watching numerous greatfull little birdies make off with prime goosedown nesting material. My next bag, for horseback packing was, and is a canvas role up affair with a Hudson's Bay blanket and sewn in pad.My hiking bag is a Wiggys. Again, everybody gets to crawl into a very personal choice at day's end and live with it. And yes, mimicking Chris Janowslie I in fact did submerge my Wiggys and crawl into it. Hte bag will in fact dry out.

#127625 - 03/18/08 12:08 AM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: Hikin_Jim]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Jim, I just wanted to throw 2 bits in as well. I have a Western Mountaineering Bristlecone MF and a new untested MicroNight Bivy from OR, but the Bristlecone can zip 2 bags together or lay flat like a blanket. I know it's down but it's very versatile. It all depends on what you want. I have a North Face synthetic bag and the WM and I've slept soaking wet in the North Face at 35 degrees and was extremely cold but doable, the mountaineer wouldn't fair in the rain but for the weight and warmth out of the WM bag out weighs my NF bag any day. But it's all in what your mission parameter is, I don't think you can go wrong with either bag, the Wiggy or the WM. The Wiggy bag is really expensive as well and both have lifetime guarantee. When I tried the Bristlecone, due to my size it was a perfect bag for me, roomy, extremely warm, use it as a blanket in warm weather, join it up to another bag for a his/her bag, or unzip the foot box to let my feet air out while I'm buried deep in down. Extremely comfortable and allows you to adjust your temp levels to reduce moisture levels. Just don't add rain storm. Anyway, I think the Wiggy bag will be a good choice for you for wet environments but I just wanted to let you know there are other manufactures with the add a bag zippers.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=40
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/micronight_bivy.html

#127638 - 03/18/08 01:32 AM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: Hikin_Jim]
widget Offline
Addict

I have to jump in here and say that in really cold weather, such as climbing Mt. McKinley in Denali NP in Alaska, the most common bag used is the North Face Darkstar synthetic bag. It is rated to 40 below, which is a common temp above 17,000 ft on Denali. The climb takes from 3 to 4 weeks and of course tha bag is used every night.
I have never known a climber or a hardcore backpacker to use a Wiggy's bag, most have never heard of them.
I surely cannot say that Wiggy's makes a bad product, their bags are probably fine for someone that is not concerned with extra weight, such as vehicle camper or even a short trip backpacker.
If I were buying a bag that I had to carry on my back, it would be a North Face, Marmot, Alps Mountaineering, Mountain Hardwear or even a Kelty or REI. It would not be a Wiggy's. If I want a car camping bag, I dig up the US Army synthetic bag buried in the closet somewhere.
Take that as a personal choice, and not pleasing to everyone's opinions. Keep an open mind and decide yourself, you have to live with your choice. Cheers!

#127646 - 03/18/08 02:46 AM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: widget]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: widget
Keep an open mind and decide yourself, you have to live with your choice. Cheers!

Or die with it. shocked (hopefully not)

Seriously though, guys thanks very much for all the input. That's the great thing about this forum, it really does make you think and shows the old saying "two heads (or more in this case) are better than one" is true. I've used sleeping bags, both synthetic and down, since the 60's with my dad, with the scouts, in the Army, and now on my own as an adult, but I don't think I could have put together all the perspectives and pointers put forth here in this thread. As I say, thanks.

#127654 - 03/18/08 09:59 AM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: miner]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Interested to hear you have a Big Agnes. Are there gaps between the bag and the mat. I've heard it described as being like a draft?
The Sock

#127658 - 03/18/08 11:38 AM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
...Luddite administrators might just take a Fallkniven, or, God Forbid a firehardened speartip and hit the ban button.

I just tire of the curmudgeonly sarcasm you put out. Perspectives other than yours get hosed with passive-aggressive prose (as quoted above) as if you're the only guy around who really knows what works & what doesn't. Others out here have had a tad bit of experience over the years, but then again you're the Moderator God so just to keep you happy I'll throw a few bricks into my lightweight pack.

I hear you, and I won't comment on your posts in the future.

#127660 - 03/18/08 12:17 PM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: TheSock]
miner Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Layton, Utah
Originally Posted By: TheSock
Interested to hear you have a Big Agnes. Are there gaps between the bag and the mat. I've heard it described as being like a draft?

No. I've been quite happy with the setup. I use a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad and have not experienced any of what you describe.

I've not had the bag that long. I used it last summer on a 6 day backpacking trip into the Wind River Mountains in western Wyoming. Slept with the bag mostly unzipp because I was warm.

Last fall used it on a backpack elk hunt in central Utah. It snowed on us and temperatures were into the teens I'd guess. I slept just fine. The guy I was with woke up twice shivering violently and had to move around and add clothing each time to stay warm. Not sure what bag he had but it was more of a summer bag.

#127743 - 03/19/08 09:38 AM Re: So, is Wiggy's just plain "wiggy?" [Re: Frankie]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
The surest way to make money in the gold rush was to sell to the miners. One chap bought a load of kittens to trade. People thought he was mad. In fact miners were lonely men. He could name his price. Good bit of lateral thinking on the what to have as trade goods theme! :-)
The Sock

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.