Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#127529 - 03/17/08 02:50 AM Re: How to properly take care of leather boots [Re: Frankie]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
OldBaldGuy: You're right. Spit-shining is pretty much long gone. And I too noticed that there was a difference after using wax that had been melted and then allowed to cool. I used to do it though, on new boots and low-quarter shoes, to get the first few coats on there.

Frankie: I really think it might be overkill but I don;t think it would hurt. Not right after you loaded leather with wax, but as an occasional "water-proofer", the Nikwax would work. I think, for me, Id just go with one or the other. One thing I might do is use snoseal or nikwax along the sewn seams, especially where the uppers are sewn to the sole.

As far as overboots that's the way to go if you know you'll be sloshing through ankle-deep water. No matter what you put on leather, water will still get into the pores and get the interior damp. I mean, if you were to somehow seal leather completely, I think it would, like wood, just expand, crack, and you'd be back to square one. Waxes, preservants, softeners, balms, "water-proofers", I think the best they can do is help make them water "resistant".

#127655 - 03/18/08 10:06 AM Re: How to properly take care of leather boots [Re: Stretch]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Kiwi do a wetpruf polish too.
The Sock

#127693 - 03/18/08 07:02 PM Re: How to properly take care of leather boots [Re: TheSock]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
For field use, I gently warm up my boots and coat them in dubbin, as the dubbin melts it soaks into the leather, do that a few times until the leather wont take any more and your feet are dry and toasty for ages. Upkeep is easy, brush off any mud and reproof. A layer of polish makes them nice and black and keeps the grown ups off my back.

For general use, Kiwi black all the way. On, off and finished with a soft duster.

Parades, two or three days work spit shining or bulling. Starting off with burning the old polish off, melting beeswax into the leather and smoothing it with a hot spoon. Followed by the calming actions of little circles with polish and water on a sylvit cloth. I never use spit, god knows what may fly out of my mouth and scratch the finish. All finished off with a cotton wool session under a running tap.

#127819 - 03/19/08 10:24 PM Re: How to properly take care of leather boots [Re: Johno]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Treated leather is far more waterproof and resistant to wear and rot. During the rainy season I have seen new boots left untreated fail at the junction of sole to upper because of rot in two months.

Kiwi wax is okay for smooth leather. For a time I used Snow Seal. It is okay for smooth leather and cold weather use. A hair drier to warm the leather and it melts right in. The down side is that soaked in the leather becomes pretty much impermeable. Waterproof but it doesn't breath much and it has to be reapplied regularly.

Then I moved south and the ability of the boot to breath became more important.

More recently I have shifted to silicone. I got a quart of the stuff and apply it with a foam brush. When boots are new I lay on a heavy coat and recoat every few weeks for a while. Don't put too much on all at once as it can weaken glues. It will also make blond rubber darker amber and a bit harder. Seems to make the rubber less adhesive but wear longer. An acceptable trade-off in my book. After a few times the leather becomes pretty much waterproof and won't rot. After that point I might add more once a year or so.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.