Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#127377 - 03/15/08 02:06 AM Re: Fire alarms do not get kids out of bed!!!! [Re: Dan_McI]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I saw a news thingy on this a few weeks ago, only one kid in about four actually recognized what the alarm was, got out of bed, and headed downstairs as he had been trained to do. KIda can sleep thru anything, and most smoke alarms sound a too high a freq for old ears like mine. I can not hear the things unless I am right next to them. So we have one that, in addition to the high pitched beeps, has a female voice saying "Fire, Fire, Fire," or "Warning, Carbon Monoxide." Those I can hear...

#127415 - 03/15/08 03:49 PM Re: Fire alarms do not get kids out of bed!!!! [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
… most smoke alarms sound a too high a freq for old ears like mine. I can not hear the things unless I am right next to them. So we have one that, in addition to the high pitched beeps, has a female voice saying "Fire, Fire, Fire," or "Warning, Carbon Monoxide." Those I can hear...

I thought the sound of a female voice got tuned out long before the high pitch sounds disappeared. laugh

#127432 - 03/15/08 10:14 PM Re: Fire alarms do not get kids out of bed!!!! [Re: JCWohlschlag]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Nope, 'specially not at 0400...

#127450 - 03/16/08 01:37 AM Re: Fire alarms do not get kids out of bed!!!! [Re: haertig]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: haertig
I think the last thing any parent would do is hear the fire alarm, get out of the house, and leave the kids to fend for themselves. You work together to make sure everyone is safe. I dare say most parents would charge right into a flaming room to get their kids out, contrary to all fire department recommendations.

You'd be amazed at how many fires are rolled up onto where some parent is yelling "my baby!" - sometimes when there's no kid inside (sleep over, Dad's weekend, etc) Kids get left often enough that it's not uncommon...

Notice hotels have the strobes with the alarms. Hard to miss the blinking light; I think they were invented to wake the deaf.

Edited by MDinana (03/16/08 01:38 AM)

#127624 - 03/18/08 12:07 AM Re: Fire alarms do not get kids out of bed!!!! [Re: dougwalkabout]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Just my 2c....we JUST had our smoke detectors go off.....we too live in Florida....all the smoke detectors go off when one goes off.....(new construction)....an ant got into the detector and set it off.....my wife had to wake me....I barely remember hearing it.....she teased me the next morning....said that one of the most important 'survival' 'skills' that I should have, I don't.....being able to wake from sleep to address a survival situation.......at least I know that she'll wake me.

I can't say I'm surprised by it though.....I am one of the few people I know of that has actually fallen asleep underwater....while on a (safety) decompression stop while SCUBA diving. And no I didn't have a full face mask....the regualtor was in my mouth.....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.