The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#127330 - 03/14/08 06:54 PM Water Bottle of my dreams
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I finally found it..........for your viewing pleasure, try not to drool on your keyboard........LOL

$21.00

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wiggys.com/images/SSWB.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.wiggys.com/category.cfm%3FCategory%3D1%26CFID%3D4423088%26CFTOKEN%3D765&h=224&w=208&sz=10&hl=en&start=9&um=1&tbnid=UM7R3lYfRymRJM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=100&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dstainless%2Bsteel%2Bwater%2Bbottle%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

32 oz. Just ordered 2, plus the cups, cups are $6.00, they have a water tight removable seal, they come with two in case you lose one or happen to forget when you toss it in the fire....lol. They should be here in 4 days.

Some what larger view also says 2.25 in wide mouth.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.dhki.com/Defense/images/p_solbotle_img2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.dhki.com/Defense/p_solbotle.htm&h=169&w=100&sz=5&hl=en&start=107&um=1&tbnid=X9nz6r2oJ9Y3TM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=59&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dwide%2Bmouth%2Bstainless%2Bsteel%2Bwater%2Bbottle%26start%3D100%26ndsp%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#127333 - 03/14/08 08:04 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: Shadow_oo00]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
That does look nice and like it will be useful. Please let us know how it does when you get a chance to road test it!!!!

#127335 - 03/14/08 08:10 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Always the narrow neck... sigh.

Is it so impossible to make a single-wall steel water bottle with a wide mouth? It would be so much more useful.

Sue

#127341 - 03/14/08 08:25 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: Susan]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN

Edited by GoatRider (03/14/08 08:26 PM)

#127347 - 03/14/08 08:55 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Wow! Now I just have to convince the DW that THIS is the perfect water bottle. It'd be a lot easier to do if I hadn't already done that 10 times. blush

Some collect pots, I collect water carriers...

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#127350 - 03/14/08 09:20 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: GoatRider]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Looks interesting, although couldn't one just use a canteen cup as the US military has for quite some time? I know you can get titanium ones that will fit around a standard Nalgene bottle. It seems like the all steel water bottle would be heavy. Anyone know how much the Wiggy's one weighs? I wish they would post tech specs and the ability to click on the photo to get a larger photo.

From Wiggy's Sept/Oct 2003 newsletter:
A NEW PRODUCT

During a hunting trip in 1995 I managed to get myself lost. It was an interesting experience to say the least. I was hunting the Fossil Ridge Wilderness area north and east of Gunnison, CO. in early November. On the evening of the forth day out I strayed to far to the north east of where I was supposed to end up the day. So, I spent what turned out to be the first night out. During my search for my way home (back to base camp) I met two young men who said we could go back to their camp. That was all well and good, except they were as it turned out also lost.
At about two o’clock in the afternoon it started to snow, and when you are located at 12,000 feet the snowfall can get heavy very quickly and it did. In our travels we passed a number of streams and I started to consume as much water as I could. I did not have a canteen of any sort with me. The boys did and I encouraged them to drink as much as possible too, and to keep their canteens filled. When night came and it does in the mountains during November very early, we set up a camp in a thicket of spruce trees. I was very comfortable but they were freezing. Aside from not having food we didn’t have any more water, and filling their canteen with snow to melt was not an option. Their canteens were plastic, so we couldn’t put them in the fire to melt the snow.
The out come of this adventure was positive; they found my camp after meeting Rudy (my guide) and Rudy found me.
Now that I had the experience I decided what was needed was a single wall stainless steel water bottle. Something that could be put in a fire to melt snow. I started a search that lasted until this past summer. Imagine not even finding a Chinese factory that would make a product for me. However, I did find a company in California of all places that has made them for me. They are polished stainless steel inside and out with a stainless screw on lid. It is important that the inside be polished to make it safe and sterile. The lid is held to the canteen by a stainless steel chain. Best of all whether or not you are lost, if you need water and you have snow as a source, fill the canteen and place it in a fire.
There is a stainless steel cup and it all fits into our military style, and military tested insulated carrying case. See enclosure.

See also http://wiggys.com/legacy/sept-oct03.cfm?

UPDATE
From the Wiggy's website:
"...water bottles would freeze up but I was able to thaw them out directly on wood stoves."
Now that is something I hadn't thought about. In winter with stainless, you could set the whole frozen thing in the fire or on a stove. In really cold wx that could really be nice. Even a good thermos will eventually freeze solid. Being able to apply direct heat would be a big advantage.

Edited by Hikin_Jim (03/14/08 10:14 PM)
Edit Reason: Added update

#127355 - 03/14/08 11:14 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Susan
Always the narrow neck... sigh.

Is it so impossible to make a single-wall steel water bottle with a wide mouth? It would be so much more useful.

Sue

Check out http://www.guyotdesigns.com/stainlessbottles?sc=11

#127358 - 03/14/08 11:22 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: Shadow_oo00]
LED Offline
Veteran

Nice. Is it rounded on the bottom or is there a seam?

#127359 - 03/14/08 11:32 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: LED]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Not sure, as soon as I get them I'll post a review, as far as the guyot designs the only problem I see with those is you can put them in a fire, the plastic is sure to melt, unless of course you take the lid and any other plastic off, but then thats why I decided on the one I posted the whole thing can be placed in the fire or on a stove.

As far as the weight goes, if its to heave It will look good sitting next to all my other that I don't carry.....lol

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#127360 - 03/14/08 11:43 PM Re: Water Bottle of my dreams [Re: Shadow_oo00]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is a wonderful solution to a non-existent problem. I cannot ever recall having to put any kind of canteen in or near the fire or even considering doing such a thing. If I have a metal cup that fits around my water bottle (last time I looked, I had four, three SS and one ti) why would I ever want to heat up my water bottle in stead of using my metal cup? On a normal trip, I usually have some sort of larger metal pot, as well.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.