Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#127192 - 03/13/08 04:39 AM Re: combo knife blades [Re: MoBOB]
katarin Offline

Loc: Ca, usa
I am also a lefty and the darned things aren't right for me either.

#127199 - 03/13/08 10:45 AM Re: combo knife blades [Re: katarin]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I would say like most everyone else has, straight is the better choice unless you are a lefty or plan on cutting seat belts, rope, plastics (softer LDPE type) a bunch. My swisstool has both a serrated and non-serrated blade and the only time I seem to use the serrated blade is when I cut into the plastic catch bins at work for new pipe placement or jury-rig "reconstruction". It slices through it so much better and is still relatively "easy" to resharpen as it is the older style scalloped edge and not the newer micro grooved edge that spyderco made so popular.

-Bill Liptak

#127204 - 03/13/08 01:58 PM Re: combo knife blades [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
www.ragweedforge.com Ragnar stocks a partially serrated Mora with an orange handle at the request of emergency personel.I would suggest picking one up along with a regular blade Mora. the knives are inexpensive schoolmasters in many cutlery sciences like sharpening, safety and personal responsibility. Teach yourself the answer by using both alongside each other for different tasks.

I've got a couple of these, listed as #761 on Ragnar's site. They are nice knives. I prefer the laminated high-carbon blade, but I bought these because of the bright orange handle. Tough to lose if you drop it.

If I could get it with in carbon with a straight edge, I'd buy it too. But that's not saying much. I have an problem with buying knives, I always want more of them.

#127208 - 03/13/08 02:26 PM Re: combo knife blades [Re: Dan_McI]
JRJ Offline

I only use plain blades. Most of my blade use falls between the first 2 inches from the handle and 1-1/2 inch from the point. I seem to cut ropes and fibers quickly without serrations.

I have never needed to cut a seat belt. A first responder might find more use with blade serration, then again they might use some type of seat belt cutter that is safer. Serrations cut and rip fiber faster, do seconds matter to you?

Just like any thing in life it sort of falls on what your intended use is, maintenance, personal preference and aesthetics.

-JRJ

#127211 - 03/13/08 02:30 PM Re: combo knife blades [Re: JRJ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I find the serrated blade on my CRKT M-16 is horrible. The teeth are too small to sharpen and just snag on things. Nice round scallops like on a bread knife are easy to sharpen (easiER anyhow) and effective. I have a couple of so called combo knives but I find I don't use them very much. I tend to always go for straight edges and save the serrated blades for backup emergency boxes like in the car where sharpeners are scarce.

#127223 - 03/13/08 04:36 PM Re: combo knife blades [Re: ]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
For the knives that I use often I've got 1 fully serrated edge knife, 1 combo edge knife, and about 9 plain edge knives. So, you get the idea what I prefer. smile

With that said, the two knives I do have serrated edges on are a Spyderco Atlantic Salt and a Benchmade 530S. These two often come in handy for use in, and around, water. When I'm cutting a lot of heavy line those serrations do come in handy.

#127229 - 03/13/08 06:16 PM Re: combo knife blades [Re: Paul810]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
The numerous small contact points found on a serrated blade significantly increase the cutting force for each point of contact, since any given applied force is distributed across a much smaller surface area.

While serrated blades are somewhat more difficult to sharpen, the curvature of the individual scallops found on a serrated blade also provides additional strength/support at the blade edge, allowing it to remain sharp longer than a straight blade.

I can think of way too many survival scenarios off the top of my head that require a sawing action to ever consider going into the woods without a combo blade. There's a reason saws don't feature straight blades, no matter how sharp they are.

Jim

#127231 - 03/13/08 06:43 PM Re: combo knife blades [Re: Paragon]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Quote:
I can think of way too many survival scenarios off the top of my head that require a sawing action to ever consider going into the woods without a combo blade. There's a reason saws don't feature straight blades, no matter how sharp they are.

Thats why I take an actual SAW with me instead of a serrated knife. A folding saw and a good plain edge knife is combo enough for my needs.

#127236 - 03/13/08 07:17 PM Re: combo knife blades [Re: bigmothertrucker]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker
Quote:

Thats why I take an actual SAW with me instead of a serrated knife. A folding saw and a good plain edge knife is combo enough for my needs.

I agree, a regular knife and a saw works well.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#127239 - 03/13/08 08:12 PM Re: combo knife blades [Re: BobS]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I enjoy discussions about which knife to choose. But reading the post of BobS and bigmothertrucker makes me realize that I don't choose.

I work in an office in a tie and brought at least three knives to work with me today; a multitool; an SAK Farmer and a cheap folder with a combo blade. I should do something else with the last folder.

When going into the woods, I have at least three blades: 1. A Mora #S-1 or a Cold Steel Kukri; 2. a multitool; and 3. a folder with a serrated edge. Whether I bring the Mora or the Kukri depends on who else is there.

This kind of goes right with what benjammin said in another post. Having more gear is better.

The issues come when you do have to choose. When you cannot fit anymore gear in your pack, bag or vehicle. When you cannot carry more. When you cannot afford more. Seems like a lot of the enjoyment and learning I get on this forum comes from such discussions.

Edited by Dan_McI (03/13/08 08:13 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.