Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 12 of 19 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19 >
Topic Options
#119465 - 01/09/08 10:13 AM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: Grant]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: Grant

I wanted to say "How about some duct tape" or "You really should carry (fill in the blank)", but in the end I kept my mouth shut. This is his thing, and it isn't that weak an EDC for a suburban teenager.

Another forum I frequent (about paintball) had a thread like this asking what everyone carried on their person. In general the male teenager's EDC consisted of a wallet, phone, and maybe car keys if they were old enough to drive.

It was funny though, to see that those who lived in city/suburban areas had much less of an EDC than those who lived more out in the country. Those who live further out wouldn't dream of leaving their home without a pocket knife and maybe a lighter. They weren't very well received by the "city" kids though. (i.e. "What do you need a knife for? You going to stab someone?") The thread almost had to be closed when one guy in his 20's posted up his EDC and it included a 9mm CCW. Kind of sad to see that so many people were adamantly against being prepared with anything more than a cell phone. I guess being prepared isn't "cool."

I'd say your son is way ahead of most adults, never mind teenagers. He has most of the basic stuff, he's lacking the most in a method of making fire and a cutting implement. (Which he probably can't carry either in school right now anyway.) I'm sure you can persuade him to carry those things when he gets a little bit older. whistle

#119466 - 01/09/08 11:18 AM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: Paul810]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Paul810

It was funny though, to see that those who lived in city/suburban areas had much less of an EDC than those who lived more out in the country. Those who live further out wouldn't dream of leaving their home without a pocket knife and maybe a lighter. They weren't very well received by the "city" kids though. (i.e. "What do you need a knife for? You going to stab someone?") The thread almost had to be closed when one guy in his 20's posted up his EDC and it included a 9mm CCW. Kind of sad to see that so many people were adamantly against being prepared with anything more than a cell phone. I guess being prepared isn't "cool."

Not really about being cool or not cool, remember these kids are being told constantly that guns and knives are bad and only have criminal uses. If the message is repeated enough then it sinks in.

#120727 - 01/18/08 10:15 PM Mr. Wilmoth can now die a happy man... [Re: mrwilmoth]
past_digger Offline

Loc: SD, USA
I think I might have found the ultimate EDC link for Mr. Wilmoth - over 8000 pictures.

http://flickr.com/groups/52241283780@N01/pool/

One of these days I'll post pictures of my EDC (at ETS, not there...)

#120893 - 01/20/08 07:49 PM Re: Mr. Wilmoth can now die a happy man... [Re: past_digger]
cxrc Offline
Stranger

Loc: Southern California
I'm pretty much a minimalist when it comes to these things. And since I live in L.A - I don't carry things like a fire starter, tinder, foil etc. Nothing special - but here is my list:

1. sports watch
2. Nokia cell phone
3. small mp3 player
4. 36 oz. water bottle (I make it a habit to constantly drink water - good for the kidneys)
5. pocket note book and compact pen
6. thin wallet w/ I.D cards, bank cards, phone card
7. small "man purse" with change and $10-$20 cash
8. carabiner w/keys, 2 photon lights, cheap little aluminum whistle from REI, and a thermometer/compass (don't really need it - but I just like knowing the temperature)
9. mini L.E.D flashlight
10. small plastic case w/ tweezers and 2 sewing needles (I seem to have really bad luck with splinters)
11. Leatherman Micra
12. Spyderco Rescue 93mm or Spyderco Assist (I really like the light weight and full serrations because I suck at sharpening; also, these knives are not "malicious" looking - so people don't freak out when I happen to take it out to open a package or cut a sandwich)

Edited by cxrc (01/20/08 07:50 PM)

#120944 - 01/21/08 02:13 PM Re: Mr. Wilmoth can now die a happy man... [Re: cxrc]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Well seeing as how this thread is about as tenacious as a zombie plague I figure I'd post laugh

My EDC carry is one of two configurations
dependant on if I'm going to work or plan on the possibility of needing a good, strong light is great. If it is I add my streamlight stinger rechargable to the following....

Lumi Nox titanium watch
Spec-OpsT.H.E. Tactical checkbook wallet
Inside the wallet are the usual suspects plus a spyderco spydercard, cross pen. Bullet space pen and a few band aids.
Comb
Buck/strider 880 spearpoint
Victorinox swisstool
Zippo lighter
Victorinox swisschamp in the S.O.S. sheath
(S.O.S. contains mirror, whistle, sharpening stone, mag-light solitare, 2 safety pins, 4 band-aids, mechanical pencil, 2 sheets paper, book matches, compass/magnifing glass/themometer/ruler, nylon cord, fishing kit(( 2hooks, 3 sinkers & fishing line)), 2 toothpicks, tweezers, 2 needles and some black and white thread)
Keys
On the key carabiner are, besides keys, a gerber infinity, leatherman micra, p-38, victorinox sd.......
As of christmas I'll usually throw in a DR PSK in my front, left pocket or cargo pocket

-Bill Liptak

#121044 - 01/22/08 10:32 AM Re: Mr. Wilmoth can now die a happy man... [Re: BillLiptak]
mrwilmoth Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
haha, funny Ive already been all over flickr looking at those. what originaly got me into edc items was the movie paycheck, if I never watched that I dont think I would be curious whats in peoples pockets!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paycheck_(film)

added some new stuff to my edc

Edited by mrwilmoth (01/23/08 05:35 AM)

#122333 - 02/02/08 05:02 AM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: wolf]
Craig_phx Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: wolf
Craig_phx - I really like the second (non blackened) fixed blade. What kind is it?

It is a Cold Steel Carbon V Master Hunter

#127095 - 03/12/08 10:58 AM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: Craig_phx]
mrwilmoth Offline
Stranger

any new ones?

#127136 - 03/12/08 05:56 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: mrwilmoth]
wester Offline
Stranger

Loc: Michigan
I'm a n00b, but here's what I carry pretty much every day. I'm really not happy with the phone so far, poor battery life and during a recent power outage it had no service while my old phone worked fine. [img][IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i14/wester25/0012.jpg[/img][/img]

Edited by wester (03/12/08 05:58 PM)
Edit Reason: photo problems

#140476 - 07/20/08 07:43 PM Re: what is your every day carry? part three [Re: wester]
mrwilmoth Offline
Stranger

just added the new iphone 3g to my edc! will post a couple shots in a bit.

Page 12 of 19 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 18 19 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.