The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#127247 - 03/13/08 09:29 PM Re: A family friendly shtf plan needed [Re: Eugene]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
I am with Susan, if you are in a zone of lahars, floods, pyroclastic flows, etc., then you don't need an SUV, you need a moving van. Just because builders build in these places (look at the development on the slopes of Mt Ranier) doesn't mean we need to buy them. Darwin time. Volcanic problems don't always have lead times (think Armero, Colombia). There is NO reason today to buy a house in an obvious hazard area of that level. There are always hazards, but the problems like these are avoidable. Even if the chances of these events are low it is unreasonable to choose to live with them. If you are there now, the first expenditure might need to be a new house. While you are at it, avoid rail lines, manufacturing plants, etc.

With this problem solved, most of the time you are problemed with staying in place. A serious problem, but much less than bugging out. Make your plans for staying in place and one for bugging out (it still might happen). As others have indicated, also make plans for not being at home when it happens. With and without the rest of the family.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Edited by JerryFountain (03/13/08 09:31 PM)

#127257 - 03/13/08 11:56 PM Re: A family friendly shtf plan needed [Re: JerryFountain]
TS_Shawn Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Having lived in Washington, D.C. through 9/11, anthrax and countless evacuations due to intrusions into our prohibited airspace, friends, colleagues and I have given considerable thought to "sheltering-in" and evacuating. And many of us are steeped in COOP procedures (continuing operations).

The major disaster risks here are related to terrorism, of course. Hurricanes and tornadoes are also plausible.

My primary personal precautions since 9/11, in the event we need and have an opportunity to evacuate, have been: 1) top off my gas tank every Sunday night; 2) have cash-on-hand; 3) food on-hand for a few weeks (dog food, too).

The cash is in a go-box and topping off the tank has been an easy habit to get into.

I've kept extra water jugs on hand since alarms (false, fortunately) over cryptosporidium in the metro water system in the 90s.

Camping is good practice for bugging out. I appreciate how long it takes to pack a car (when not in a panic) and that's when most of the camping gear is pre-packed. And, of course, camping gear could come in handy in such a situation.

Camp gear is also handy for sheltering-in, as I found out one January in the early 90s when this region was suffering a week of temps in the teens, ice storms and rolling blackouts due to the Northeast's power grid being overloaded. My place at the time was all-electric. Loved my new sleeping bag and rechargeable lantern!!

Preparing for an entire family certainly requires a great deal of thought just to plan.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 346 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.