Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#126587 - 03/07/08 03:01 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: benjammin]
brandtb Offline
Addict

Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Unless you are willing to escalate the issue and deal with all the hassles associated with such action, of which there will be plenty, yes they can. Like someone else said, what are you going to do about it? I gaurantee you arguing with a NYC cop about such a thing in public is only going to end up in a physical confrontation with you likely to get your head knuckled. You think zero tolerance is just at public schools, try taking your knife back from a uniformed cop at a subway stop in Manhattan. I gaurantee you a bad day then.

This is why I treat my Al Mar Sere the same way I do my CC. Nobody sees it unless it's a real emergency.

#127020 - 03/11/08 05:46 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: brandtb]
mwigant Offline
Stranger

I have a Kershaw Scallion that is (was) assisted opening. I don't need the extra speed or any hassles from LEOs about it being a switchblade so I just took out the spring and removed the safety. Problem solved.

#127048 - 03/11/08 10:56 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: BillLiptak]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Wow, I just had a weird feeling today. I was in the office talking to our Head of Security (an ex-RCMP cop) discussing panic alarms in some our buildings. I showed him a panic alarm button that gets attached to a Customer Service workstation and he wanted to open it up and take the battery out. He tried with his letter opener but didn't work. Without hesitation, I took out my Spyderco and clicked it open! It took me a couple of seconds to open the case (but I really don't like using the knife as a pry!)

The guy never even flinched. It wasn't until I was putting the knife back on my pants that I realized that if there was anybody in the company to not "flick" my knife in front of, the Head of Security would be it. But he didn't give it a second thought - thankfully for me, there are other people in this world besides me who think carrying a pocket knife is just a regular thing.

However, I'm not a "total doughnut head" - I am going on a tour of a newly renovated and occupied Correctional Centre (min. security) next week. The first thing I thought of was that I should probably empty my pockets of all my goodies before going on the tour, lest any of the items become "lost"!

#127093 - 03/12/08 10:36 AM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Roarmeister]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The head of security probably knows a simple pocket knife isn't a threat. I've known a lot of people who needed a screwdriver, scissors, etc that I've used my leatherman for and they have never cared or probably didn't even know it had a knife.

Years ago I was a simple pc repair guy and had to enter a correntional facility to fix the library pc. I emptied my pockets and the gaurd said you can't take that in, take it back to your car. So I picked up my pocket knife to take it back out and he said no, you can take that, you can't take the cell phone.

#127096 - 03/12/08 12:14 PM Re: Whipping It Out In Public! [Re: Eugene]
steelie Offline
Stranger

i opened a box of printer paper once at the school i work for, and a student noticed my knife and said, "I didn't know you IT guys were armed." To me, a knife is a tool first... i've never been in a situation where i've needed a knife as a weapon (unless you count filleting fish?)

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.