The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126734 - 03/08/08 01:48 PM CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Warning/Request - we have beat the snot out of the BPA "issue" over the last several years and I have zero interest in re-visiting that; my mind is firmly made up based on hard science; facts; my personal usage patterns; hardheaded factor - take your pick (all apply).

Don't hijack my thread with that (BPA) topic - start yer own.

Getting to the subject - 1 liter poly carbonate bottles:

I've been using Nalgenes for so long that I've had HDPE ones crumble to dust from age. I switched to polycarbonate a long time ago.

In stores and on line, the CamelBak style 1 liter bottles draw me like a magnet.

I am indifferent to using cups that nest on a Nalgene; I have them, I have used them (work fine), and I have/use other gear I like better. Purely personal preference - I recommend them to folks when it seems appropriate.

Any experiences / opinions on the CamelBak (non - sipping) vs the Nalgene? I guess I would be interested in same for the bite valve cap version of the CamelBak as well, but that's almost a separate topic.

The price difference (favors Nalgene) is unimportant to me.

Since I am very fond of products by both companies, I might have some brand conflict resolution to do, LoL.

I'm pretty much disinterested in the smaller volume bottles - comment if you wish, but my focus is on the 1 liter size.

Please feel free to toss in any comments about bottle bags, pouches, and carriers. I have a few up coming adventures this year that are pushing me temporarily back to water bottles as primary instead of water bladders and there is a lot more available now than when I last used bottles as my sole water transport vehicle.

Edit: I am asking about first or second hand opinions about the CamelBak "Better Bottle" with "Classic Cap" in the 1 liter size. It uses a cap that specifically is stated as fitting Nalgene wide mouth bottles (and they sell bite tube caps so one may retrofit a Nalgene). It is BPA free. It is "easy to clean" and "dishwasher safe" (top rack). I would be interested in comments about the bite valve version as well, but that is not the focus of my question. End Edit

Thanks in advance for any experience / opinions!

Tom

Edited by AyersTG (03/09/08 12:40 AM)
Edit Reason: clarification of question

#126743 - 03/08/08 02:43 PM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: AyersTG]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Question: Will my MSR mini-Works water filter attach to a Camelbak bottle the way it attaches to a Nalgene? That compatibility is important to me.

#126744 - 03/08/08 02:44 PM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: AyersTG]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My criteria for a water bottle is that it should be leak resistant and reasonably light weight. I prefer wide mouth containers. Thus my all time favorite is the recycled beverage (usually Gatorade) bottle. Slaking my thirst and saving the planet by recycling - such a deal! I have plenty of one liter Nalgenes that I have acquired over the years, and I could care less about their chemical composition. This concern diminishes even more dramatically the more thirsty I get. I do like the tethered cap - a very fine feature.

As the saying goes, the best water container is the one that you have with you, especially if it still contains water or a reasonable facsimile.

#126761 - 03/08/08 06:59 PM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I've got a Camelbak "unbottle." I think that's the right name; it's the one that comes insulated. I like it because it really does keep the water cooler on a hot day. The insulation also helps prevent punctures, which is important if some of your packs are older and don't have a hydration pocket. It does of course fit in a hydration pocket as well.

I like its versatility:
-I can use it in the "usual way" in a hydration pocket.
-Because it's protected, I can also put it in packs w/o a hydration pocket.
-It has clips, so I can run run straps through the clips and secure it on the back of my pack if I need more room inside the pack.
-Also with the clips, I can put climbing webbing or similar straps through the clips and wear it directly on my pack. If I'm doing some kind of a "fast and light" outing in dependable, good weather, I can wear just a fanny pack and still have a good supply of water (comes in 2L or 3L size) when I add my Camelbak. A lot of the time (pre-Camelbak) when I was out with just a fanny pack, even a good sized one, I had trouble carrying sufficient water for the hot dry weather we often have here in California.

#126768 - 03/08/08 08:49 PM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: AyersTG]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I to am intrigued by the Camel bottle, but have not purchased one for only one reason, they look to me to be harder to clean than a widemouth Nalgene.

#126797 - 03/09/08 12:22 AM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: Malpaso]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Why do you think that? They have the same size mouth/cap as a Nalgene and less/no shoulder. Actually, should be easier to clean.

#126798 - 03/09/08 12:25 AM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: Russ]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Cap is supposed to fit Nalgenes, so I would say "Yes". Machts Nichts to me; I use CamelBak bladders and my filters connect via a quick disconnect at the bite valve. My filter does have a "nalgene" adaptor that I never carry - just stick the output hose in the bottle and fill.

#126802 - 03/09/08 12:38 AM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: AyersTG]
Alan_Romania Offline

Addict

Loc: Arizona
It took me a little while to warm to the Camelbak bottles, the primary reason is that hardheadedness you mentioned. I just couldn't get used to the straw setup. I like the shape and the look, it was just that one thing that kept me from using them.

I thought I would try some of the 750mL bottles for wildland firefighting last season. No complaints... they held up like Nalgene bottles and I found I liked the sip feature more and more. I replaced the bite valves and straw but the old ones could have lasted another season but my OCD kicked in... The sip feature isn't perfect for all applications but when spill prevention is an issue they are very nice.

#126803 - 03/09/08 12:46 AM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: Alan_Romania]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Alan - Thank you for the report!

Tom

#126920 - 03/10/08 03:47 PM Re: CamelBak bottle vs Nalgene polycarbonate [Re: AyersTG]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: AyersTG
Why do you think that? They have the same size mouth/cap as a Nalgene and less/no shoulder. Actually, should be easier to clean.

I should have been more specific. It's not that the bottle would be harder to clean, but with the straw setup there would be more parts to clean, and I've cleaned enough kid cups to know I don't want to clean any more straws ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.