The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126336 - 03/05/08 01:51 PM Fixed blade question
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Looking for a stock blade. Stock meaning I don't want to go and get after market sheats or mods. Plain simple out of the box use is what I'm after.

Requirments:
Blade: No longer than 4 inches
Sheath: Kydex, with belt CLIP (not loop), garments can't be removed to put the sheath on or using it on the boot
Total length of a knife with sheath: 12 inches
Handle: integrated with blade (no paracord) anything really as long as it doesn't absorb and is easy to clean
Steel: S30V
Edge: Prefer straight but will settle for combo with right knife
Price: under $150

Why?
Proposal for a knife for SAR team. Knife doesnt have to be medicaly geared. Just a simple blade.

#126342 - 03/05/08 04:02 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Polak187]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Dougs fixed blade is very close to that. A little longer; a little more expensive. But sounds excellent if you are a bit flexible.
The Sock

#126344 - 03/05/08 04:42 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Polak187]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
The only knife I remember with those specs was posted on the American Bushman blog a while back.

Although, I think the Dozier brand will probably be above that price range you noted. You may try posting your question on blade forums as well. In addition, contacting a few knife dealers to see if they can order a knife with your specs is another option. Most have a good knowledge of what is available and to get your patronage will usually work to find a knife that fits you.

Good luck!
Cheers,
Nemo.

#126347 - 03/05/08 05:04 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Polak187]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Polak187,

This might interest you, but its slightly larger than you specified;

http://www.bestknives.com/almarseop.html

#126370 - 03/05/08 08:58 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
mwigant Offline
Stranger

Why S30V steel? I just got a Fallkniven F1 (swedish survival knife) that I'm very impressed with, but it uses VG-10 stainless steel. It's sheath also does not have a belt clip.

#126374 - 03/05/08 09:13 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: mwigant]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

S30V narrows your options quite a bit. The clip requirement narrows it quite a bit further.

I've been looking and I've yet to find a knife that comes in a Kydex sheath with a clip in any style let alone one that is suitable for SAR use.

Based on my limited SAR experience, if I were to distribute a knife to the entire team to keep everybody on the same page knife wise, I'd likely give everybody a large size SAK folder with a locking blade, saw, and scissors. I can't recall which model(s) fit that description.

Or if your SAR group is more urban you could go with the Victorinox rescue knife. I got my hands on one last week and it's pretty slick. I would have loved to try out the windshield glass saw. They even come bright yellow.

I'll keep looking. Closest I've found to your criteria so far is the Cold Steel SRK...and it's not even close to what you describe.

#126380 - 03/05/08 10:01 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: ]
Crogan Offline

For SAR I'd check out the CRKT McGowan rescue. McGowan is a Toronto firefighter and the design is top notch.

#126382 - 03/05/08 10:15 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: ]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

SAK rescue tool is a worthless piece of garbage. Great looking tool but useless in real world. Don't get me wrong knife functions as it should and all the functions are there as described but knife is dangerous to use both for you and your patients. I guess whoever designed this knife never worked the streets. First you be lucky if u don't stab your patient trying to cut his seat belts off or waste time trying to remove your gloves hoping that you can manage to open a right blade but than maybe now you bleeding severly because the saw folded on you while you were trying to cut out the windshield. That tool is a joke for professional rescuer and in my toolbox it can be a backup to a backup. Still it is one good looking tool.

Everyone in my team has their own personal knife which range thru Spydercos, SOGs and few Striders. So issuing small blades like SAKs is not really that important for us.

We would have gone with old Timberline Aviators. Which are almost everything we want but are made out of weak steel. Personally I'm trying to convince guys to go with few striders but that's a lot of money but we applied for few grands but as of now $150 is the limit.

Edited by Polak187 (03/05/08 10:16 PM)

#126383 - 03/05/08 10:17 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Crogan]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Bro thanks for than link. This is somethign to ponder. Thanks again.

#126404 - 03/06/08 12:48 AM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Polak187]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Polak187
First you be lucky if u don't stab your patient trying to cut his seat belts off or waste time trying to remove your gloves hoping that you can manage to open a right blade but than maybe now you bleeding severly because the saw folded on you while you were trying to cut out the windshield. That tool is a joke for professional rescuer and in my toolbox it can be a backup to a backup. Still it is one good looking tool.

Good points. I always think of these things in relation to the people in my own SAR organization. Not all of them are outdoorsmen or very handy with a fixed blade knife. I'll have to ask my SAR buddy who just bought the SAK rescue knife about those things and see what he says hehehe.

The Gerber Freeman Hunter fits all your requirements except the sheath. The blade length is perfect, it's under $100 USD, and it's S30V but the sheath is leather and has no clip. I carry one plus Gerber Diesel multipliers and a Benchmade ERT-1 for safety cutting, window breaking and as a backup light.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.