The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#126424 - 03/06/08 01:54 AM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Polak187]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I gave my son-in-law a Kabar Warthog for his birthday a few years ago, and really liked the blade. Short, sharp, thick, probably a pretty good prybar in addition to cutting ability. Comes with a kydex sheath, with belt loop, but something like a Blade-Tech Klip (or the more secure Blade-Tech Tech Lok) could be added to the back side of the sheath...

#126433 - 03/06/08 02:10 AM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: ]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Hacksaw
[quote=Polak187]The Gerber Freeman Hunter fits all your requirements except the sheath. The blade length is perfect, it's under $100 USD, and it's S30V but the sheath is leather and has no clip.

There are a number of good Kydex sheath makers out there who are not expensive...
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#126461 - 03/06/08 12:46 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Doug_Ritter]
mwigant Offline
Stranger

Another thing to think about, the custom kydex sheaths are wide and flat because they are 2 sheets riveted together. That means you're going to wear it behind the point of the hip. Combine that with the their high riding style and it would be difficult to get to that knife while wearing a parka. The F1 sheath is injection molded so it is slim and it has a nylon loop that keeps the entire knife below the belt.

#126476 - 03/06/08 01:38 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: mwigant]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Not quite right, but something like the ag russell deer hunter would be very affordable.

2 other thoughts -
If you are buying enough of them, you can drive the price down a bit
Something like a Teklok might upgrade the seath a bit?

#126477 - 03/06/08 01:52 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: mwigant]
NAro Offline
Addict

Quote:
the custom kydex sheaths are wide and flat because they are 2 sheets riveted together. That means you're going to wear it behind the point of the hip. Combine that with the their high riding style and it would be difficult to get to that knife while wearing a parka.

Not always: custom Kydex sheaths are...er... Custom. They can be different widths, thicknesses, and different attachments. I strongly recommend the Tek-Lok from BladeTech. Many custom sheath makers will use them if you ask. Ask that they be drilled to use the Tek-Lok in all three orientations.

On my heaviest coat I have a strong flap (2" x 3") to which I can clip my sheath/Tek-Lok and the knife can ride just under my left armhole. But I rarely find that necessary.

Firefighters be warned, however: Kydex sheath will soften quickly at 250-300 degrees, and I don't know what the ambient temps. near a fire would be. Leather may be a better choice after all.

#126498 - 03/06/08 04:14 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: NAro]
mwigant Offline
Stranger

To each their own I suppose. I prefer compact and sheet kydex sheaths are at least 1/2 in wider than injection molded. I guess this is only an issue if you (like me) like to wear the knife right behind the front pocket. Of course, LEOs and SARs may have other equipment already taking up that spot. As for horizontal carry, I'm kinda round. The only 10" flat spot on my belt is on my back and wouldn't be to comfortable in the truck. Back to the original question, the F1 runs around $100, get a custom sheath for around $50 and you're in business.

#126519 - 03/06/08 07:29 PM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Polak187]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Polak187,

If you are O.K. with 4 1/2 inch blade of VG-1 San Mai IIIŽ
check out Cold Steel's Master Hunter. The sheath has a velcro and button snap closure around the belt.

http://www.ltspecpro.com/fixed-blades-master-hunter.html

or look at this
http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=AL345

The second option will require a after market sheath.
Here are two liks for those:
I think this is the less expensive of the two
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel/products.htm

this one is probably more expensive
http://bladerigger.com/blades/

But am not sure about what either company charges.

Also as someone else mentioned the techlock could make this 2" knife fit the bill if you can find it for a better price.
http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=210TK

Best of luck with your search.

Joe

#126564 - 03/07/08 12:34 AM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Joseph13]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Polak187,

One other thing, most Manufactures ofknives will give a discounted price for persons in the Law Enforcement/ Medical First Responder. Although you porabably already know this.

Joe

#126667 - 03/08/08 12:20 AM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Joseph13]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
Hey Polak,

The Buck Sirus may be smaller (2'' blade) than what you are looking for but it meets all of your criteria I believe. It does not have a clip but one could be easily added with a trip the hardware store and a screwdriver.

At the very least it could be a boot knife for secondary carry in an emergency.

Good luck!
~Nemo

#126670 - 03/08/08 12:30 AM Re: Fixed blade question [Re: Loganenator]
Crogan Offline

You could check out On Scene Tactical, Top notch kydex sheaths. Ask for normark (I think his real name is Eric) He is always willing to help out the customer and has a really good rep on the Canadian forums. He'll make a sheath for any knife you'd like including customs if you send it to him.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.