Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#126470 - 03/06/08 01:19 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: DougM]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, thinking about my more recent hunting endeavors, I consider what life would've been like had I not brought that little pocket chain saw with me and had to chop those 8 to 12" logs down to firemaking size with an axe, or worse still a hatchet or knife. If all your going to chop on is limbs and branches, then packing an axe or heavy hatchet or knife might be all you really need. For cutting decent ridge poles and logs, I really prefer not to have to work that hard. That little chainsaw is irreplaceable for such work. Given it's light weight and small footprint, it is my go to survival pack tool for wilderness work. It'll do a pretty dang good job on branches and limbs too, long as they aren't too small. Then I can use that knife or axe or hatchet for splitting the bigger pieces.

#126482 - 03/06/08 02:17 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: benjammin]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
Quote:
for my needs I wont be splitting wood unless I have to. I wont even be making a fire unless I have to. I wont need an axe to fell a jack pine unless I need a shelter and somehow lost my bivi tent. so my needs are all about flexibility and the ability to perform a different variety of tasks I may face. the unknown factor if you will. In my post, I dont think I stated anywhere that I think the kukri will chop better than an axe, but rather almost as good given all the other things a kukri machete can do that an axe cant.

If I go into the woods to actually chop wood as a goal then of course I will take an axe.

If backpacking I wanted a tool that I COULD chop a bit of wood for a fire or shelter if necessary but would otherwise be able to be used for other things like digging, slicing etc. some of the people agree, some did not, and some started talking about felling trees and chopping wood or tryed to tell me that I dont need either but instead could do it with a smaller knife.

I considered all thee points and came to the conclusion that I can achieve my goal by doing either. As the more experienced guys here have concluded. It comes down to personal choice.

I guess I all boils down to this.

if you like an axe carry an axe

if you dont like an axe carry something else.

if you dont like either then carry wine, bread and cheese instead.

for me at least. I have found what I was looking for in the cold steel kurki machete due to some good debating here. Agree or disagree I have found what suits my needs best.

Thanks for the info

#126492 - 03/06/08 03:38 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
BMT,
The Vikings were so industrious they cut enough wood to build Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark and Iceland. Oh they also chopped enough trees to build boats and sail to North America long before Columbus.

Guys,
No need to knock the Nepali, they are pretty capable in their own right. They have survived up there for thousands of years.
Bill

#126502 - 03/06/08 06:01 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: billym]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If I knew I was going off and likely to need to split or cut logs that I might want an axe or hatchet. But if I were off without any intent to put myself in that kind of scenario I might want very well want that machete more. I can see any number of jobs that it will do much better than an axe. At the same time, I can see cases when I would want to leave both behind in favor of a strong shovel. If I were on land with lots of grass and no trees, I very well might find no use of the axe.

BMT, part of it is what's right for you and part of it is knowing when to change the gear for the environment and circumstances. I try not to leave without a bottle opener, but when needed I've used a good knife and a set of pliers to open a beer.

#126507 - 03/06/08 06:40 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: Dan_McI]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
but when needed I've used a good knife and a set of pliers to open a beer.

wow. its been a while since I had one of those weak drinks you Americans call beer but, up here we have twist off caps and pull tabs. ha ha!!

#126516 - 03/06/08 07:09 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: Dan_McI]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I found a machete to be easier and safer than an axe or hatchet when clearing lanes for surveying. Chopping overhead with an axe
is much more tiring and the weight of the axe will really do
a number on your shin if you mess up, while a machete will bounce
off with little damage providing you aren't pulling at the same
time.

#126540 - 03/06/08 09:02 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yeah, that Canadian beer ain't too bad, both brands even. It works well when I need to water down my Canadian Whiskey with something to cut the laquer(sp) taste a bit. laugh

Seriously, whether it be an axe, hatchet, machete, khukri, or BA knife, something to saw with once in a while that isn't any extra burden might be worth the trouble.

#126544 - 03/06/08 09:24 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker
its been a while since I had one of those weak drinks you Americans call beer but, up here we have twist off caps and pull tabs. ha ha!!

I tend to drink beers that would need bleach in order to be yellow. I had two nice stouts from New York last night, one brewed in Brooklyn and another from upstate that was about 12% ABV.

If the only beer you had did not have a twist off, you'd want a tool to handle that job.

#126545 - 03/06/08 09:26 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: benjammin]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
Yeah, that Canadian beer ain't too bad, both brands even. It works well when I need to water down my Canadian Whiskey with something to cut the laquer(sp) taste a bit.

ha ha nice one. its good to see that some people on this forum can take a joke without getting all flustered. When I trained in Texas last year I found I could drink a lot more beer than up here with the same effect. I love drinking with the Yankey troops even though they cant hold their booze too well ha ha
Quote:
something to saw with once in a while that isn't any extra burden might be worth the trouble.

I have been sizing up the sabersaw a lot lately for this very reason. I heard it snags a lot though........

#126554 - 03/06/08 11:09 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker
Quote:
but when needed I've used a good knife and a set of pliers to open a beer.

wow. its been a while since I had one of those weak drinks you Americans call beer but, up here we have twist off caps and pull tabs. ha ha!!

Sierra Nevada, Anchor Steam, New Belguim brewing, this list goes on. We have plenty of real beer here in the US. IN fact some of the best in the world these days. I used to be a god honest beer judge; I know of what I speak.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.