Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#126431 - 03/06/08 02:07 AM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
heat them with a lighter till red hot and then slowly bend them with a multi-tool

#126436 - 03/06/08 02:47 AM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: Blast]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I run with a standard mini-PSK (similar to D. Ritters Homemade Kit) then supplement around it with event/location specific equipment.

I include matches, mini-bic, sparker, whistle, fishing kit, cordage, mirror, etc in the mini-PSK but often back it up with better stuff plus my EDC gear.

Things like fish hooks and needles I always seem to be able to squeeze in a mini-PSK during assemble to fill the small spaces. Small or flat things are easy, larger odd shaped things like a Bic or Fox 40 are tougher.

Mike

#126439 - 03/06/08 02:54 AM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

don't feel bad BMT. I think there are at least a few of us (myself included) that do the same thing with their gear on a regular basis. I've spread out everything several times this winter and spent a lot of time sitting and scratching the old noggin.

#126446 - 03/06/08 03:46 AM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
How do you do this? I have had more than one needle snap into pieces when I overflexed it...

Heat it up in a fire for a while to ruin its temper.

Oops, BMT beat me to the answer. blush

-Blast

Edited by Blast (03/06/08 03:47 AM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#126458 - 03/06/08 12:22 PM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: OldBaldGuy]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Think of the fishing kit as strong cord and hooks that can also be clips or ties. And you can use the line to catch birds which are everywhere.
Try fixing your boots or the sac that's carrying 60 pounds with duct tape, instead of needle and thread. Or sewing leather without an awl
The Sock

#126474 - 03/06/08 01:31 PM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Versatility is why I modularized my psk/bob a long time ago. I keep the kit contents inventoried at home, and equip according to the needs of the pending excursion. Better to have a shelving unit full of seldom used but valuable supplies than to carry an 80 lb pack around all the time.

#126483 - 03/06/08 02:19 PM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: benjammin]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

I really like the way you think. You may have given me a very good idea here.

Thanks for sharing

#126484 - 03/06/08 02:29 PM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: benjammin]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Reevaluating the stuff in your kits is you thinking about the uses things have, and thinking about the compromises you are making when you choose things. Pulling your stuff out, looking at it, handling it, and putting it back in gets you familiar with it, should you ever need it.

Do I need the three knives I brought with me to work this morning? No, it's just a sign that I have a knife problem. If I thought it wouldn't cause problems, i'd be tempted to wear a big sheath in my NYC Office. Knives come with me, in part, because, like many, I like knives. Part of your thoughts should examine what may be left out and could really help, so you can carry something because you simply want it or more of something. I think one of my knives may find a home here in my office, jsut in case I should ever come in with my EDC/PSK kit.

And your stuff needs to change for the environment and activity. When you are out in the middle of the woods, with plans on staying for the weekend, maybe you need to bring the axe. When you are simply going for a hike for a matter of hours, then maybe the axe stays behind and your bring the machete.

So once in a while, break all your stuff out on the floor, turn on the TV, crack open a decent beer and think about what you need and want, and then put it all away and get another cold one.

#126486 - 03/06/08 02:34 PM Re: just when I think I had it figured out. [Re: Dan_McI]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
So once in a while, break all your stuff out on the floor, turn on the TV, crack open a decent beer and think about what you need and want, and then put it all away and get another cold one.

ha. I REALLY like the way you think.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.