Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#126555 - 03/06/08 11:10 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: Dan_McI]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
Originally Posted By: Dan_McI
Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker
its been a while since I had one of those weak drinks you Americans call beer but, up here we have twist off caps and pull tabs. ha ha!!

I tend to drink beers that would need bleach in order to be yellow. I had two nice stouts from New York last night, one brewed in Brooklyn and another from upstate that was about 12% ABV.

If the only beer you had did not have a twist off, you'd want a tool to handle that job.

I used to work for Brooklyn Brewing Co. Killer beer!

#126558 - 03/06/08 11:36 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: billym]
sodak Offline
Addict

From personal experience, I find that an axe chops the best, followed by the Kukri (or khukuri), followed by the hatchet. In threads like this, people often start interchangeably using hatchet and axe, when those 2 are worlds apart.

I prefer the khukuri or a large knife over a hatchet. They are quite useful for many tasks, while the hatchet I find to be more limiting. YMMV.

Of course, a nice saw works well too...

#126609 - 03/07/08 01:22 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: sodak]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Oh, that Brooklyn stuff! I ordered a pint when I was in Manhattan a while back, expecting it to give me a bit of the Brooklyn experience. It did, but not at all the way I thought.

Down in Brisbane last year, I got wrapped around a pint of Toohey's old. Now my buddy and I considered ourselves seasoned drinkers, but I gotta tell ya, after downing that pint (and it was a damn smooth good dark ale too), I was having trouble feeling my face, and my pal indicated he might not be able to get up off his stool for a bit.

Needless to say, I am rather impressed with some of the Aussie drink, though as I discovered there, no one but the poor drinks Fosters there anymore. It is definitely not Aussie for beer. There too, they are pretty fanatical about their regional brews. If you're from Queensland, you drink Four X gold.

#126619 - 03/07/08 02:29 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: sodak]
JRJ Offline

Originally Posted By: sodak
From personal experience, I find that an axe chops the best, followed by the Kukri (or khukuri), followed by the hatchet. In threads like this, people often start interchangeably using hatchet and axe, when those 2 are worlds apart.

I prefer the khukuri or a large knife over a hatchet. They are quite useful for many tasks, while the hatchet I find to be more limiting. YMMV.

Of course, a nice saw works well too...

You are incorrect.

A hatchet is an axe.

"a small, short-handled ax having the end of the head opposite the blade in the form of a hammer, made to be used with one hand." source

"Hatchet from the French hachette a diminutive form of the word hache, French for axe." source

Furthermore, I know many men who split rounds using a short handle, err a "hatchet". It affords them the ability to sit and split.

A short handled axe requires more input force from the user to have the same mechanical advantage that a long handle provides using a lot less force, but the axe head always retains its efficiency. In other words... a long handled axe chops just as well as a small handled axe, The only difference is the amount of energy needed.

So when I see your statements I know without a doubt ....

Anyways, from my personal experience, I find that an axe chops better than a kuhkri regardless of the handle length.

-JRJ

#126639 - 03/07/08 05:45 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: JRJ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: JRJ

...Furthermore, I know many men who split rounds using a short handle, err a "hatchet". It affords them the ability to sit and split...

-JRJ

I would never sit and split wood. I know of at least two occations involving people I know doing this causing serious knee injury where the hatchet glanced and chopped them square under the knee cap.

#126650 - 03/07/08 09:38 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: ]
Crogan Offline

Always been a hatchet man but got a heck of a deal on a big Kershaw D2 bush knife last night so I'll give the "big knife over axe" mentality a fair shake and try out the D2 on my camping trip to Arizona at the end of the month. I'll also give a report on how well the D2 compared to a machette. I'll post some pics in the start of the month about it.

Edited by Crogan (03/07/08 09:39 PM)

#126652 - 03/07/08 09:50 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: JRJ]
sodak Offline
Addict

Finish your sentence, or don't start it at all. I have no idea what you mean from this phrase.

Anyways, from my personal experience, I find that an axe chops better than a kuhkri regardless of the handle length.

Then your experience differs from mine. I find hatchets useless.

Edited by sodak (03/07/08 09:51 PM)

#126657 - 03/07/08 10:37 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: sodak]
NAro Offline
Addict

No opinion here regarding which is best. But FWIW I'll pass along a warning: I carry a pretty good Kukri attached to my pack and use it freely to cut and to split wrist sized branches for the fire. But mostly use it while walking, to clear wrist sized limbs and saplings from our trails. To cut with it one typically "whips" it... with some wrist action different than a hatchet.
The thing is, my Kukri will often go through the limb with one clean slice when I was expecting to have to chop a few times. It exits the wood with a velocity and in an arc and angle much different than what I experience with a hatchet. So a safe stance with a Kukri is different than a safe stance with a hatchet. Not better. Not worse. Just different. Some practice (with MY limbs safely behind something impenetrable)is necessary. But...YMMV.

#126662 - 03/07/08 10:55 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: sodak]
JRJ Offline

Originally Posted By: sodak

Finish your sentence, or don't start it at all. I have no idea what you mean from this phrase.

I was letting you fill in the blanks after I pointed out and sourced your uneducated statement. Sorry.

Then your experience differs from mine. I find hatchets useless.

I was being a bit facetious and I apologize.

Sorry man, I pounced a bit on you and should have just addressed the points.

-JRJ

#126691 - 03/08/08 03:43 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker
[quote]
if you dont like either then carry wine, bread and cheese instead.

grin grin grin

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.