The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#125806 - 02/29/08 07:21 PM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: benjammin]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
I've got a kukri, some hatchets a real axe, saws, many knives, etc. If I had to pick a combination of them on which to rely for every day stuff, not specific tasks, and I could not simply be stationary and have a collection of tools, the axe would be left behind. I'd bring the kukri machete, my multi-tool, and a pruning saw.

A small coldsteel kukri weighs 60% or less of the wight of an axe, and I can stuff the whole thing into my BOB. Beats walking around in a populated area with an axe. I have a small folding pruning axe with which I have taken down some small trees, and it weighs ounces. Between the two, I think I could handle a lot of tasks.

When I consider picking a few things and think those would be the ones, should I ever need to bug out, the tools being light and able to handle a number of tasks is key.

The portable chain saw mentioned by Bejammin sounds like it might be something to try.

#125859 - 03/01/08 11:25 AM Try the woodmans pal for $70 [Re: bigmothertrucker]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I carry a SAK, KAbar and the Woodmans pal. for only $70 and American Made, it's gets the kukri jobs done.

#126425 - 03/06/08 01:57 AM Re: Try the woodmans pal for $70 [Re: kevingg]
Crogan Offline

I know I'm new to the forum but I thought I'd throw my 2cents in. I have a 9" kukri and in northern Canada it will never replace my hatchet. I agree the Kukri has its merits as a great cutting tool to a degree but I personally find a hatchet much better in the thick woods. If you do a search for "old jimbo" you will see him split a 3' thick log using a pocket hatchet and some wedges. On branchs and smaller trees a kukri will do the same job as a hatchet but not on the thicker stuff. Now that being said I also carry a 7" bowie style knife with me on extended trips for heavy cutting jobs. But I think it comes down to personal choice, last weekend I was out with Blast and a few others and on a thicker piece of wood for the fire I offered Blast my hatchet to try and he turned me down due to a feeling of not enough experience to handle it safely where I have been using a hatchet since I was about 10 years old. What it comes down to is what are you most secure using and most familiar with.

#126428 - 03/06/08 02:05 AM Re: Try the woodmans pal for $70 [Re: Crogan]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
I actually bought the cold steel kukri since posting this and was amazed at how it can chop.

I wanted it to carry IN CASE I had to do some wood chopping but not solely for that reason. I think if you only need to chop then the hatchet wins. since putting both in my hands I can honestly say that I think the cold steel kukri will be more versatile and flexible over a wider range of tasks.

but to each his own

#126434 - 03/06/08 02:15 AM Re: Try the woodmans pal for $70 [Re: bigmothertrucker]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

to further add. the cold steel is 13 inch or 17 inch so in order for a kukri design to be as effective as a hatchet it obviously cant be something only 9 inches long.

sometimes size does matter...........

#126447 - 03/06/08 03:48 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I think Chris made a point. For most outings (hiking, backpacking etc) you don't need a huge knife or ax maybe only a modest fixed blade or folder. For years folks used very modest knives and survived. On a hike a good old Ritter Mini grip (plug!), Mora or Vic Farmer is probably all you will need.

As far as ax vs Kukris; if the kukris was perfect for northern forests like Canada's or Sweden's then the Norse would have made Kukris instead of excellent axes. Visa versa for the Nepali.
Beside both are pretty useful.
Bill

Edited by billym (03/06/08 04:33 AM)

#126448 - 03/06/08 04:08 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: dweste]
JRJ Offline

Originally Posted By: dweste
Which axe, saw, and knife?

Thanks.

I take out my snow & nealley hudson bay, bahco 24" bow saw and a no name knife that is going to be replaced with a rat cutlery RC-4 very soon.

When I go out for a week I can in a span of 2 days spending a few hours each of those days, usually have enough fire wood to last the rest of the time.

-JRJ

#126449 - 03/06/08 04:42 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: billym]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Quote:
I think Chris made a point. For most outings (hiking, backpacking etc) you don't need a huge knife or ax

its true that you dont NEED a big knife or ax, but it makes life a lot simpler depending on what you want it for. technically you dont NEED matches to light a fire either. but I have little interest in trying it with a bow drill when I can just bring matches instead.

Quote:
then the Norse would have made Kukris instead of excellent axes. Visa versa for the Nepali.

you dont see many vikings in these parts anymore, but the Nepali are still going strong in nepal last I heard. Mabey the vikings should have switched to kukris sooner.

#126450 - 03/06/08 05:50 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: bigmothertrucker]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: bigmothertrucker

you dont see many vikings in these parts anymore, but the Nepali are still going strong in nepal last I heard. Mabey the vikings should have switched to kukris sooner.

That's because the vikings finished their chopping early and got to visit and integrate with the rest of the world.

The Nepali, on the other hand, are still stuck in the jungle, trying to chop down a tree with a kukri, instead of using a proper axe.

wink

#126454 - 03/06/08 08:32 AM Re: the hatchet alternative ? [Re: Paul810]
DougM Offline

That's because we're waiting for you to relax.
Don't kid yourself, whenever members of a culture known for using large knives wants to cut wood they use an AXE, not a knife, and yes I own and used to carry and use a kukri when backpacking.
Knives, whether kukris, machetes, parangs, saxes, or the latest thing to come down the pike are best used for cutting "soft" green, growing vegetation, axes (and hatchets)are for cutting and splitting wood (hazards are best countered by training.
A properly used ax of appropriate size is as safe as a large knife (lighter weight cutting tools, despite their greater ease in carrying, require more energy than heavier tools-more energy, less control).

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 442 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.