Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125992 - 03/02/08 01:39 PM Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage
trailgear Offline
Stranger

Falcon5000 posted a review of the Blizzard Survival Blanket as garbage.

I've used the Survival Tube from http://www.BlizzardSurvival.com with great success. But my application is a bit different, I use it as an over bag for my camping hammock. If you need extra warmth when sleeping in a hammock on cold nights this product will help keep you warm.

It's a survival bag/tube that holds one or two people. It has draw cord closures at both ends, and it's made from several layers of space age Reflexcell™ which I found to be faily strong. The bag gives a warmth-to-weight ratio value of 8 Togs - equal to a medium weight regular sleeping bag and they are fully waterproof and windproof. The bag is light weight (18.5 oz) and can be folded and rolled to a small size for storage. It's delivered vacuum sealed about the size of a video cassette.

It is a bit crinkly as they say, but the crinkly noise is not an issue once you get inside the hammock, because you don't roll around like you would if you were laying on the ground. The benefit with using the Survival Tube with a hammock is there's no strain placed on the bag, it's suspended in the air. I'm sure if you used it on the ground it would have a chance of being damaged, but used with a hammock it's great.

I've used the Survival Tube at 38 degrees with a fleece blanket and sleeping pad inside the hammock and was very warm all night long. This is a good product when used as an over bag for hammocks. If you're a cold weather hammock camper, you owe it to yourself to check this product out.

On a few occasions I found a very slight amount of condensation (damp to the touch) inside the bag at the foot opening. Simply open the closure with the adjustable draw cord and it dries very fast. If you use a fleece blanket inside the hammock it should minimize the moisture. You can also control air flow into the bag by adjusting the draw cord closures to your liking.

For the low price of $29.95, I think it's a good product at least for my application. Their USA office is in Houston, Texas - phone number is 888-737-7978

I have not used this product over an extended period, so I can't say how it will hold up over time. But for $29.95 it's a great backup for hammock campers when the weather turns bad. I would carry one in my gear as backup for that just in case scenario. Speer Hammocks makes an over bag called the Pea Pod made out of goose down. This is an excellent over bag, but it's a bit pricey at $335.00. However the Pea Pod is designed to stand the test of time.

To use as an over bag, simply slide your hammock through the Survival Tube. Close the end at the foot with the pull draw cord. Get in the hammock, pull the Survival Tube over your body and hammock then adjust the draw cord under your chin. To avoid suffocation, always keep your head outside the bag.

TG

Here's a few pictures.

It comes vacuum sealed about the size of a video cassette

Unpack and slide your hammock through the Survival Tube

Get in the hammock

Pull the Survival Tube over your body and hammock then adjust the draw cord under your chin. To avoid suffocation, always keep your head outside the bag.

Edited by trailgear (03/03/08 09:05 AM)

#125997 - 03/02/08 05:20 PM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: trailgear]
billym Offline
Addict

Loc: Oakland, California
I have not had one of theses in my physical possession but the size alone is an issue. For something that big I would rather carry a light weight sleeping bag and or bivy.
In addition the "crinkling" sound seems to indicate mylar which is an inferior material(very fragile).
The size and the fact that it is mylar(?)makes it less than optimal for me.
Bill

#126012 - 03/02/08 06:48 PM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: billym]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
They are fragile, and very expensive over here. There also bulky (even vacuum-packed) if you compair it to the AMK heatsheets and bivvys.

But if it works for you..

#126057 - 03/03/08 12:20 AM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: ]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

trailgear, I'm glad you've had good luck but mine was falling apart out of the package which in an emergency situation and never inspected because you trust a vendor of a good product could have resulted in a life threatening situation. I will give you credit this is better than nothing, but it has reinforced the fact that nothing beats a bag and bivy. All the noise that it makes and how fragile mine is, I would opt for a bag or poncho liner. To each is his own, I know the mylar and type materials have always had a shelf life break down period. I've changed out tons of mylar with Meximelt on aircraft due to static and desegregation. Even on aircraft, new it works great but very noisy but after a few years, noticeable desegregation occurs. If you inspect yours closely, do you have any small holes developing yet? If not, ma bey you got a good batch for now but time will tell. I still am very very dissatisfied with the quality. I would not put my life on it for sure.

#126186 - 03/03/08 09:32 PM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: trailgear]
atoz Offline

Loc: Nevada
"The bag is light weight (18.5 oz) " This is NOT light weight. My 20o degree bag is only 32 oz. My bivy bag, goretex and waterproof nylon is 16oz.
cheers

#126234 - 03/04/08 03:05 AM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: atoz]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So let me understand the complaints. Mylar, and the BB is not made up of the standard formulae of Mylar, has a shelf life.And it's fragile and noisy. So what we have here is a unit that could use a date of manufacture and isn't noisy. God forbid we are kept awake during a blizzard by crinkly Mylar. I much prefer the soothing sound of howling winds to lull me into dreamtime instead of blowing on my whistle. And instead of a compact unit that can be packed in numbers and safety secured on rescue units or carried in multiples by search and rescue personel we want full on bivy bags and sleeping bags. O.K. I understand now.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (03/04/08 03:07 AM)

#126256 - 03/04/08 02:13 PM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

No disrespect meant, I think what we are trying to get across is that a bag and bivy are a reliable and proven shelter system that's weight and size can be brought down significantly rather than a manufactures attempt at improving the process and making claims of a durable product that can be associated with a bag rated at the manufactures specs. This product is by far not durable IMHO and loud. The one I had purchased in a sealed vacuum bag container to be opened when said emergency rises only to find out it's falling apart due to age. A lot of help that would do for me if that scenario would arise. Mabey if it was flammable I could use it as tender. I always encourage technology advancements, but for a manufacture to make claims about a products quality and reliability for me to trust them before opening anything is not valid. I always do my best to check the gear before trusting it. I make mistakes from time to time which is human but after seeing this, I will trust my instinct on this one. If you like it buy it and trust it, but not for me.

Is it better that nothing at all? Yes
Would I bet my life on it? No

#126260 - 03/04/08 03:17 PM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: falcon5000]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
It always amazes me how some people never test a new item first before going out camping or planning to use it for survival. My brother and I do a lot of camping with a group of people and numerous times a year I see people open a new item or a garage sale item , stove, air mattress, tent, inflatable chair, lantern or any number of items that have never been tested and expect it to work. A few times a year something doesn’t work, or has missing parts. Also you see them sitting there reading the instructions to try to figure it out for the first time. I (and my brother) always test things at home in the back yard to see how it works and make sure it works and that all the parts are there.

I can’t see not testing an item to make sure you understand what it will and will not do. I think we all have bought items that did not live up to what the manufacturer said it would do. Nice to know this before hand, and it gives us a chance to become more familiar with how the item will work.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#126261 - 03/04/08 04:04 PM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: falcon5000
No disrespect meant, I think what we are trying to get across is that a bag and bivy are a reliable and proven shelter system that's weight and size can be brought down significantly rather than a manufactures attempt at improving the process and making claims of a durable product that can be associated with a bag rated at the manufactures specs. This product is by far not durable IMHO and loud. The one I had purchased in a sealed vacuum bag container to be opened when said emergency rises only to find out it's falling apart due to age. A lot of help that would do for me if that scenario would arise. Mabey if it was flammable I could use it as tender. I always encourage technology advancements, but for a manufacture to make claims about a products quality and reliability for me to trust them before opening anything is not valid. I always do my best to check the gear before trusting it. I make mistakes from time to time which is human but after seeing this, I will trust my instinct on this one. If you like it buy it and trust it, but not for me.

Is it better that nothing at all? Yes
Would I bet my life on it? No

I think this back up the idea that you try to follow the rules of threes.

If you are going to possibly need something, like the means by which to start a fire, you should not have only one method. Have three methods, and at least one is likely to work. Instead of going with one supply of water, have three.

Instead of going out into the middle of nowhere with one set of things to use that may keep you warm, take more than one, if you can.

Sometimes, you can only take something the size of that mylar blanket or bag. I took one skiing. A bigger bag, was not an option in my mind.

#126298 - 03/05/08 01:37 AM Re: Blizzard Survival products are NOT garbage [Re: Dan_McI]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A fair portion of people in the survival gear industry are deeply committed to making and servicing some very fine products. I can personally name Winslow liferafts and Sparklites as two companies I would buy from exclusively without question. I also know both have experienced problems in product. it happens. Instead of calling something garbage and bashing it online, I suggest contacting the distributor, which was done ( and you got a refund, right?) and the maker explaining your concerns.Seeing the consumer gets a quality product is a proactive effort of maker AND user. You don't sit on your keister waiting for rescue do you?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 18 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.