Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#126114 - 03/03/08 01:21 PM Going on a road trip and need some tent advice
Hacksaw
Unregistered

In October I'm driving to Alaska with my wife for a week (or 3...haven't decided yet). It's a newly started yearly tradition and last year led me to some truths about road trips. This has led me to believe I need a new tent...but me being me would like to kill as many birds as possible with this stone.

One of the peeves I have about tenting on a road trip is the possibility of having to continually set up and take down a tent in the rain day after day. I've had more than my share of mopping up the interior of the tent from the rain which came in between tent set up and fly coverage...in a good solid rain it doesn't take long. Then the same thing happens in reverse when you pack up which leaves you with a soaked tent when you set up at your next destination.

I've searched the forum but couldn't find any tent advice which fit my situation so for the millionth time, somebody asks about tents.

Here are the criteria as I see them (and if you think I'm wrong, speak up by all means!)

• 2-3 man sized
  • Light enough to be packed by 2 people sharing the load.
  • Single wall design for cooler weather and ease of rainy set up/tear down (ie: keep the inside dry when setting up in the rain)
  • Well ventilated to reduce condensation
  • Fairly well sized vestibule (which covers the door completely...I hate it when it rains in the tent because the vestibule doesn't cover it properly)
  • Must be sturdy enough to handle light snow
  • Must not cost a fortune (In an ideal world, I'd like to keep the cost under $200 but I'll go higher for a real deal)

#126116 - 03/03/08 01:25 PM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Wow, driving TO Alaska in October. You are a better man than most. Sorry that I can't help you much re the tent, I have never been able to keep one dry inside when it is raining and I have to pitch/take it down. Have a great trip!!!

#126126 - 03/03/08 02:41 PM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I carry a tarp both as backup shelter, and to cover my Eureka K2 XT while setting it up in the rain. It's a little bit of a hassle, but not as much as mopping out a wet tent or the mildew smell that comes from an insufficiently dried out tent.

Regarding the tent I link below, I realize it's a 4-person tent, a tent plus fly for 4-season camping, and it might be overkill for your needs. However, this Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 at the Eureka Tent outlet is a real deal at $199.00.

Normally it goes for $399.00, but the reason for the sale as stated is:
"FACTORY SECONDS-CAN NOT SELL AS NEW PRODUCT DUE TO LOWER WATER RATING ON FLOOR FABRIC IN RELATION TO THIS TENTS SPECIFICATIONS*. THESE TENTS HAVE A FLOOR COATING TO THE SAME SPEC AS OUR TIMBERLINE 4 (1000mm)."

You can add a floor saver for $13.99.

Edited by Nicodemus (03/03/08 02:44 PM)

#126143 - 03/03/08 04:40 PM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw,

The Vaude Mark V may be what your looking for, but is slightly more expensive than $200 than you specified,

available at

http://www.basegear.com/vaudemarkv.html

#126147 - 03/03/08 04:52 PM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

That Vaude is definately a nice tent but hardcore to be sure. Looks bombproof but unfortunately it's a bit expensive and on the heavy side.

The Eureka Asault Outfitter 4 is a nice tent and I've looked at the outfitter series from Eureka before as they seem to be some of the most affordable 4 season tents out there. The assault even has 2 big vestibules unlike some of the other outfitter tents they offer...thanks for the tip on that site Nicodemus. With the factory seconds price, it might be an option though it is on the heavy side being a 4 season tent but then it is a 4 person, 4 season tent so maybe it's not so bad...tough call.

Seems like compromise is the name of the game as usual. Traditionally my tent purchasing criteria are 1) Is it crap? If not then: 2) Is it cheap? This has led me to own many tents as my selections inevitably wear out or are in a style which makes them obsolete for my uses as time goes on (My 8 man tent is less than good for hiking for example wink ). I've been known to break rule 1 in favor of a very cheap tent...almost always a mistake.

#126198 - 03/03/08 11:13 PM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
You might check if you can find a Eureka Backcountry Outfitter tent. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore. It had an integrated fly, so all you had to do is assemble the two shock-corded aluminum poles, place them in opposite corners, and then clip the tent+fly to the poles starting with the center/peak. Then add hood poles above each door, and stake out the corners and side pulls and you're done.

You can easily put it up in the rain without getting anything wet, plus it has a separate fly and tent, so you get good ventilation.

I bought one of the 4-person models for each of my kids to use in Scouts. Very nice tents, but not very lightweight compared to many.

Here is a two-person:
http://www.campingsurvival.com/eubaou.html

I can't seem to find a 4-person.

#126211 - 03/04/08 12:35 AM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: ]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

I refuse to believe it's worse than some areas of Alberta. I've camped within spitting distance of the Columbia Ice fields and woken up to 6 inches of snow...I was ready to go but my crappy tent wasn't.

#126212 - 03/04/08 12:41 AM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: Nicodemus]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
I carry a tarp both as backup shelter, and to cover my Eureka K2 XT while setting it up in the rain. It's a little bit of a hassle, but not as much as mopping out a wet tent or the mildew smell that comes from an insufficiently dried out tent.

Regarding the tent I link below, I realize it's a 4-person tent, a tent plus fly for 4-season camping, and it might be overkill for your needs. However, this Eureka Assault Outfitter 4 at the Eureka Tent outlet is a real deal at $199.00.

Normally it goes for $399.00, but the reason for the sale as stated is:
"FACTORY SECONDS-CAN NOT SELL AS NEW PRODUCT DUE TO LOWER WATER RATING ON FLOOR FABRIC IN RELATION TO THIS TENTS SPECIFICATIONS*. THESE TENTS HAVE A FLOOR COATING TO THE SAME SPEC AS OUR TIMBERLINE 4 (1000mm)."

You can add a floor saver for $13.99.

It's out of stock already frown

#126213 - 03/04/08 12:46 AM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: ]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Hacksaw,

This one might interest you, its a little bit smaller but still a 3 man tent, semi geodesic at 3.8Kg or 1.9Kg each and $239.95 with a free footprint!!

http://www.basegear.com/vaudemarkii.html

#126220 - 03/04/08 01:43 AM Re: Going on a road trip and need some tent advice [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Those Vaude tents look sturdy but I wonder how hard it is to lace the poles with that elastic cord suspension system they use...seems like it could be tricky in the cold and wet.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 170 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.