Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#126124 - 03/03/08 02:27 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: Jackal]
ssbauer Offline

Loc: Ohio
Mora... There are more expensive blades out there, but if you lose a Mora you won't feel like the world has ended.

I carry a Mora and a Tramontina Machete. Low price point, but they do the job and have proven themselves.

#126128 - 03/03/08 03:02 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: ssbauer]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
For something all purpose, do whatever you want, only fixed blade to carry, and cheap, I think I'd look at one of the inexpensive Mora's, or I'd get a Kabar with a kydex sheath, in a length and color you liked. Altrernatively, I'd buy Kukri from coldsteel.

Hhhmmmm, I seem to have already bought these.

Anyway, a good knife is something you are fully prepared to both abuse and take care of. It's kind of like a drag racing car. If you are not fully-prepared to risk breaking it by just stomping all over it, and do so with a lot of ummph, because you know you are not that likely to damage it, then why have it. A knife is a tool that needs to be able to take abuse, and you need to be willing to dish it out.

At the same time, it should be something that you not only are willing to take care of, but enjoy taking care of. Like shining a old pair of shoes you find as comfortable as slippers, and to which you are loyal.

Any of the above can be that kind of knife, and for $100, you can buy all three, and have money left over.

Edited by Dan_McI (03/03/08 03:03 PM)

#126131 - 03/03/08 03:16 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: Jackal]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Jackel, I agree with your recommendation of the Mora Clipper.

I saw this post and held off comment because it sounded like Brandon was interested in a more custom style knife. An $18.00 rubber handled/plastic sheathed/mass produced Mora is far from custom.

I have a dresser drawer full of knives; from imported garbage to custom mades, but I now find that when I wear a fixed belt knife for bushcrafting it is usually the Clipper, either stainless or carbon. They just seem to fit my hand well and do the jobs I ask of them. I even keep one in the kitchen to use as a paring knife, my wife does not like it because it is "too sharp". The only thing I do not care for is the plastic sheath but I have not got around to making a replacement leather one yet.

Lots of great knives on the market (I checked out the Bark Rivers Fox Hunter and the Helle Fjelkniv) and some day I should buy myself an attractive scandi-grind knife, till then I will just keep using the Clipper.

Mike

#126139 - 03/03/08 03:54 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: Brandon]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I'm looking for a new decent bushcraft knife, I want a medium sized fixed blade for me to carry on day hikes and camping. My spending budget is under 100 dollars. The knife I'm looking at right now is the Bark River Fox Hunter now that I've found it for only around 100 bucks

http://www.knifeoutlet.com/shop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=FALS1

There is a review at cutlery science for the Fallkniven S1 (might be slightly larger than your looking for though);

http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/s1_f1_wm.html

The Laminated VG10 has good toughness, edge and anti corrosion characteristics.

http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/blade_materials.html#S_VG10(lots of good info on the lastest materials tech)

There are lots of excellent knifes around. I like the Helle Odel knife as well (nice traditional bushcraft look). Doug Ritters RSK Mk3 is excellent also but slightly more expensive than the $100 you've specified.

#126148 - 03/03/08 04:55 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: ]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

Ragweed forge is great. I reciveid my order 2 days after I placed it and shipping was actually less then the actual cost(I looked on the box) i highly recomend them

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#126156 - 03/03/08 05:22 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: climberslacker]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I know its above your price range, but I'd encourage you to consider saving a few extra pennies (OK, dollars) to include the Doug Ritter MK3 fixed blade knife. It is a truly fine knife with a combination of features that have meet my outdoor needs very well.

I know a lot of folks out there prefer carbon blades, and I understand its benefits, but I myself appreciate the rust-resistance of the S30V steel.

#126159 - 03/03/08 05:40 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: KenK]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

+1 on the S30V. My Gerber Freeman Hunter is by far my favorite knife for outdoors use...I still can't deny that when working with wood an $8 carbon Mora outperforms it.

#126161 - 03/03/08 05:54 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: ]
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
I think if you go with the Bark River Fox Hunter you won't be disappointed. I have the NorthStar and several others. The NorthStar is very similar with a slightly different blade shape. The grinds are convex and not hard to maintain once you get the hang of it. Bark River's customer service is outstanding as well.

Bona Na Croin

#126163 - 03/03/08 06:28 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: climberslacker]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'll add a vote of confidence for Ragweed Forge as well.

I had more than a few questions, and "Ragnar" gave me answers and helped me quite a bit.

I purchased a Järvenpää Aito Puukko from him, which has turned out to be one of my favorite bushcraft knives.

I also got a Helle Fire, A Frosts Mora (#740-MG), and a Clipper from Ragweed Forge and I'm happy with all of them.

All of the above have the classic Scandi Grind, which as others have noted, is great for bushcraft.

I also have a SOG Seal Pup Elite (Partially Serrated), SOG Seal Pup Elite (Straight Edge), and a Becker Brute. I take the SOG SPE Straight Edge, Brute and the Aito Puukko into the field for bushcraft. The SOG and Brute are usually relegated to heavy duty use such as chopping, batoning, and so on while the Puukko handles the more delicate or detailed stuff.

Well, I guess I also carry my Leatherman Charge XTi as well, but truth be told I don't use its blade all that much in the field for bushcraft. I have used it for many other things out there though.

#126190 - 03/03/08 09:59 PM Re: Bushcraft Knife Recomendations [Re: Jackal]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
if you know of any pawn or resale shops near you, I'd recommend digging around. I got a brand new Cold Steel SRK for fifty dollars. You just have to know what you're looking for.

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 292 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.