Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125974 - 03/02/08 04:21 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: BobS]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Jericho

#125985 - 03/02/08 09:30 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Blitz]
JRJ Offline

From what? Hurricanes? Freezing weather? Earthquakes? Violence? Mosquito's? Spiders? Alligators? Bears? Scorpions? Bad neighbors?

It really depends on what you consider a threat.

-JRJ

#126005 - 03/02/08 05:56 PM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: JRJ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"It really depends on what you consider a threat."

I think they meant safe as in a low-priority terrorist target, and natural disasters that can be dealt with.

Personally, the idea of living in Florida doesn't do a thing for me. Imagine being bitten by a poisonous snake just before a major hurricane, after N. Korea has bombed all the military bases in the state. All of which happens after the tsunami that hits the state broadside from the east, and just before the Okefenokee becomes an active, erupting volcano spewing live alligators all over the area. I would classify this sort of thing as unsafe.

Sue

#126006 - 03/02/08 06:02 PM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Susan]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I'm with you Sue...FL seems to have too many "options". While Upstate New York has its own dangers (let the jokes commence), I'll be returning there after being gone for almost 28 years due to military service. It is time to go home. I'll take the blizzards, crazy taxes, and nutty politicians, it's just time to go home. It is safe enough for me.

#126008 - 03/02/08 06:14 PM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: MoBOB]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
You'll never escape the crazy taxes and nutty politicians.

Sue

#126021 - 03/02/08 07:47 PM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Susan

Personally, the idea of living in Florida doesn't do a thing for me. Imagine being bitten by a poisonous snake just before a major hurricane, after N. Korea has bombed all the military bases in the state. All of which happens after the tsunami that hits the state broadside from the east, and just before the Okefenokee becomes an active, erupting volcano spewing live alligators all over the area. I would classify this sort of thing as unsafe.

Sue

I think you make a very good point. If the many prolific poisonous snakes, voracious gators, man-eating sharks, brain-eating amoebas or mosquitoes packing encephalitis and West Nile virus don't get you and ... darling could you get my back with a squirt of that suntan lotion ... did you notice how pretty those birds are coming off the water like that ...

Where was I ... Ah yes ... and if the historically inevitable tsunami fails to show up and you live through the eight months of viciously active and perilous hurricane season you might just get out of here alive to make your way to somewhere safe and civilized like ... honey, could you get me another frosty beer ... thanks ... like maybe Montana.

For God's sake don't even think of coming down here. As you can tel we are perpetually on the edge of oblivion. In the name of all that is holy I advise you to avoid coming anywhere near the murderous hell-hole and constant state of mind-bending anxiety that is Florida.

Honey ... you want to stay here and soak up some more sun or join me on the beach ... we could down to that restaurant on the beach you like ... we better put on tee-shirts and sandals ... they have a strict shirt and shoes rule ... fanatical barbarians.

Susan - I wholeheartedly agree. SW Oregon, or just about anyplace else for that matter, would be better than Florida.

Ready honey? ... Wow ... look at that sunset ... and the warm breeze is nice. It doesn't get much better than this. Have I ever told you how great you look? They say somewhere around here there is a volcano that spouts alligators ... maybe we can ask around after we eat ... they probably charge an entry fee ...

#126022 - 03/02/08 08:29 PM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Susan]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Susan
"It really depends on what you consider a threat."

I think they meant safe as in a low-priority terrorist target, and natural disasters that can be dealt with.

Sue

Is this before, or after, blue-haired old ladies beat you with their canes, while it rains hanging chads, as boat-refugees drown you in hot sauce? (what other stereotypes can I hit?)

#126028 - 03/02/08 09:27 PM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: MDinana]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Susan you need to come on down for a visit, here are a couple of new friends for you.

#126046 - 03/02/08 11:28 PM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: JRJ]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: JRJ
From what? Hurricanes? Freezing weather? Earthquakes? Violence? Mosquito's? Spiders? Alligators? Bears? Scorpions? Bad neighbors?

It really depends on what you consider a threat.

-JRJ

Yes.

#126054 - 03/03/08 12:08 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Stretch]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Stretch
I consider it to be My house. Others with weapons, mental fortitude, health, military and police training, and the desire to do harm to those who would do harm to them might also have a safe resting place. I like the way you think, Blitz. Come on down.

Southern New Mexico rarely suffers a tornado, hasn;t had a flood in thousands and thousands of years, doesn;t have hurricanes or the geological propensity for earthquakes, hasn;t had an ice age in....well, ages..... is near two military bases filled with men and women who (see the desire to do harm statement above).......

All in all....southern New Mexico is maybe not as safe as my home, but it's in the neighborhood at least. ((( laugh )))

Thanks Stretch if you can brew your own beer then I'm there! grin crazy wink

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.