Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#125623 - 02/28/08 07:36 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: TheSock]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: TheSock
How would you deal with the situation where your child has just been in an accident and has an hour to live but we want you here?

That's a good one!

"Well, sir, of course, whatever the company wants, the company gets."

#125629 - 02/28/08 08:50 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: jdavidboyd]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
A man's gotta live up to his committments according to the priorities established by society if he is to have integrity in the eyes of his peers. Allowing for the severity of the cause, it is expected that your actions would be dicated by the priorities of your committments. Family issues generally take precedence over work issues. Everyone knows and expects this as the standard today. Anyone who doesn't should not expect to employ people with any sense of loyalty, committment or trustworthiness.

Given the grievous nature of the condition, I would expect my employees to see to their personal affairs ahead of their obligations to the work. If they were not so inclined, I would have serious doubts as to their reliability and judgement. In fact, I would fairly insist they leave to deal with the matter because it will likely be a big enough distraction otherwise they would be worthless to me at best, and more likely create a serious hazard.

#125632 - 02/28/08 09:08 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
mattnum Offline
Stranger

Loc: Albany, CA
An important thing I've learned along the way: Make sure your shoes are shined, and have a good shave.

If you're wearing boots, a new coat of mink oil will do. (Ha, attempt at humor)

Good Luck

#125641 - 02/28/08 09:49 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Thanks for all the great advice and comments everybody. Very helpful!

BMT, why yes I can certainly do that.!

I'm really out of practice with my interviewing skills; I haven't been actively looking, this kind of just fell in my lap.

Thanks everybody you guys are great. I'll keep you posted.

Blitz

#125649 - 02/28/08 10:17 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

last minute thoughts:

1. just be you. it's easy - you've been doing it for a while.

2. warning - this is not meant to offend anyone - nor is it meant in the way some might think - but imagine the interviewer without any clothes on. just might make you giggle and put you at ease.

3. see #1.

#125683 - 02/28/08 11:54 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: bsmith]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Here is my tip. Just pretend you know this person, that you've been working with him for a while. He is no different than you are, not better, not worse, you are different persons.

Be yourself, smile. Show that you are EXCITED at what's coming for you in this new position ! wink

#125701 - 02/29/08 01:18 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: bsmith]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: bsmith

last minute thoughts:

1. just be you. it's easy - you've been doing it for a while.

I can't do that because I'm a jerk, a$$, Pr!ck etc. At least that’s what the people who like me say.

It was funny because I received a call from them on my cell ( I never get cell calls at work) and the people around me heard the conversation and asked me why I was being so nice.

I have to put on my good boy face. That isn't easy for me.

Blitz

#125702 - 02/29/08 01:28 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
All good advice so far.

I'll add one more tidbit. In a seemingly never-ending series of interviews long ago at a company far away (before the current Darkness of HR by formula) set in, several fellows had a standard interview question. They would whip out a schematic and ask the interviewee what it did. (This was an interview for an engineering job with an engineering company.)

They found that this quickly separated the academics from the working engineers. The academics would stutter, stammer and hardly glance at the paper before saying they gave up. The others studied it and started working from what they knew to develop their view of what it did by working on the problem.

All the interviewers were looking for was that the person didn't give up! I didn't give up that day and I got the job.

It was 18 years to my next interview. And it took nearly 2 years to get another engineering job.

Never give up! Never surrender!

#125709 - 02/29/08 01:52 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...I would expect my employees to see to their personal affairs ahead of their obligations to the work..."

That of course depends on what your job is. I was once working when a major earthquake destroyed a large portion of our town, but as an on-duty LEO, I had to keep working for the public good, far from town, not getting home to check on my family/home 'til hours after the event...

#125714 - 02/29/08 02:28 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
Blitz,

Food for thought...your mileage may vary.

Be early (fifteen minutes at least).

When you walk in, carry yourself with confidence(i.e. no slumped shoulders and/or other negative body language).

Presuming that you are in the U.S. then a firm handshake is appropriate when shaking hands with men, be somewhat more gentle but firm when shaking women's hands. This is an introduction, not a strength test. Look folks in the eye and wear a polite smile when shaking their hands.

Make positive eye contact, but don't stare and be sure to include your entire hiring audience in your vision while speaking. One person may have asked the question you are now answering, but they are all in the room with you.

For most office environments a suit and tie is good but don't wear flashy jewelry and be sparing with cologne and aftershave.

Make make to use the restroom [yes, even if you know that you don't have to, you may surprise yourself and this is definitely one less pressure that you DON'T want to have to contend with in the interview] and if the planets line up against you and you do suddenly have the urge, then simply state so and ask where the restroom is (but only as a last resort) the interviewer is human too and will most likely understand...however it does reflect on your prior personal planning.

Be sure to drink about half a liter of water and brush your teeth. The water will keep you hydrated for the hour or two that you will be interviewed and the personal grooming is always good form, be sure that your hands and nails are clean as well.

And while it may bring great pride to wear and display your [insert your favorite charity / organization / school insignia etc.] tie tacks, cufflinks watches etc., now is not the time...these items should be neat but relatively plain. If the interviewers want to know what organizations you belong to, then they will ask, be aware however these questions can lead to discrimination suits so most knowledgable folks will not go there...

Do not be unduly surprised if you walk into a panel interview with several interviewers. Having just conducted 4 such interviews with two other panel members in the last 7 days for postion we're filling in my department, I know that it can be a bit of a shock to the interview candidate. If this is the case for yours, then take a deep breath and smile. If it is your first panel type interview,then it may help to you to relax if you to state the fact (after you've gotten done with the introductions).

If you do wind up with a panel interview, they will likely either have name cards front of them to help you with names. If they don't but they do provide you with their business cards,then arrange their cards in front of you in thesame order that they are seated around you. If there are no name tags or business cards, then take one of your spare sheets of plain white paper(you did bring some with your other documents right?) and neatly write their names and keep it in front of you. This shows organization forethought and keeps names straight when you are under pressure.

BE PREPARED> Without fail, bring a copy of your job application and several copies of your resume with you (and know what you've got written on all these documents). It is frustrating for the interviewers to review a nice resume and/or job application, then when the candidate walks in and starts speaking,it becomes very obvious that there was a ghost writer involved becuase the candidate can't answer basic questions regarding these documents.

Bring your identification (drivers license, Social Security card, green card, resident alien documents, passport etc., even if you were not asked to do so and you do not expect to travel or drive for the company). Having the resume, application copies, license/s etc. on hand shows that the candidate is serious about this interview and knows how to think ahead and be prepared. This includes bringing two working pens (blue and black ink), a highlighter and small but easily read and operated hand held calculator that NEATLY and inconspicuously fits your inside coat pocket.

It has become rather common to ask for a work sample demonstration. The actual work samples will vary by the position applied for, but if you say you know Word 2007 [or insert any other program that applies here]then don't be surprised for example if they give you verbal instructions and ask you to put them into document form. They are testing listening, cognitive and application / knowledge skills.

MAKE SURE that you understand the question and/or directions before jumping to conclusions or answering in haste.

When answering questions, give the answers requested, but try to avoid rambling or any self depreciation.

If the question is something that you don't know the answer to, then DON'T stretch the truth, overtly dodge the question and especially do not lie on any questions (job applications, verbal, or otherwise) as virtually every job now has a hiring clause somewhere that states that any intentional fraud and/or lies may be grounds for termination, now or later.

Expect to be asked why they should hire you. This type of question is basically designed to put you offguard and cause you to demonstrate thinking on your feet. If you are caught offguard by a question, you can generally buy an additional moment or two of time by stating something like, "now that's an interesting question" or "I'm glad that you asked that question" while your go into mental overdrive.

There are a number of good websites that go into great depth and detail on interviews and job searches etc. It is good to look some of these over every now and again.

You stated that your big day is Friday, so if that means tomorrow, then DON'T stay up all night cramming.

Hope this helps out. Please let us know how things go.

Regards,
Comanche7

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.