The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#125531 - 02/28/08 03:34 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
bigmothertrucker Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Alberta
If you do not get the job you could always kick the guy in the junk. that will gain a measure of satisfaction for all the worries you are going through now.

good luck dude.

#125532 - 02/28/08 03:34 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
LED Offline
Veteran

Having had quite a few interviews I understand your nerves. One thing that will help with your confidence is how you sit in the chair. If its a crappy soft chair (they always seem to be) and you feel like a 7 year old cause you sink down, try scootching up and sitting further towards the front. That way you can keep your back a bit more straight. That does two things, it helps you breathe easier and gives you a more confident body posture. Oh, and at the end of the interview always give 'em a wink and a click while pointing with your double "air" six shooters. Okay, maybe not the last part wink. Good luck.

Edited by LED (02/28/08 03:35 AM)

#125536 - 02/28/08 03:50 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
Don't think I can add any useful advice to what's been said.
Best of luck! I think it's safe to say everyone here is rooting for you.
May the force be with you!

#125538 - 02/28/08 03:57 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Joseph13]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
+1 on Joseph's answer. It usually pretty easy to answer technical questions in one's area of expertise, but self-critiquing questions are a lot harder. Assume you'll be asked some and pre-plan the basics of an answer.

Also, listen attentively to the interviewer. Don't interrupt and don't start framing your answers in your mind until the person finishes their question otherwise you might miss something.

Good luck, we are all behind you!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#125554 - 02/28/08 08:19 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
I'm a contractor: 6 months here, 3 months there... So I interview all the time:
tips
The CV can be more important than the interview. Have a good one.
look at the books! I know for a fact I've passed interviews by reading them. They are in your library or book shop.
Practice interview.
If you've time; apply for jobs you don't want, to get the practice.
Go in plenty of time.
All clean clothes, shower and mints.
Keep your hands on your thighs while you are waiting and you can rub them dry as you stand up to greet them.
Start with a joke mildly at your own expense. If they'll ask you how you got here say 'even i didn't manage to get lost'. That should be the last negative thing you say about yourself. They may only remember the negative comment if you do.
You should conrol the pace of the interview. Speak slowly and answer when you are ready.
Have answers ready for these questions
Why do you want this job?
What do you have to offer?
Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?
How would you deal with the situation where your child has just been in an accident and has an hour to live but we want you here?
How do you deal with obnoxious/lazy/dirty colleagues.
What are your strenghts?
What are your weaknesses? The answer should be 'I'm too keen on doing a good job and can forget sometimes perfection isn't needed'.
How do you deal with a problem you just can't solve?

At the end of the interview ask 'Are there any areas of this role you are concerned I might not be able to handle?' This gives you a chance to address that area again or confirm to them you can do the job.
If you don't get the job; write them a polite note saying it was nice to meet them and thanking them for the interview. Then remind them you are still available immediately. Then if the other fellow doesn't work out or turn up they'll know they have a replacement handy. (I've got a job a few times with this one).
There is a proven correlation between nodding eye and eye contact in an interview and the chances of getting it.
Above all remember; PRACTICE INTERVIEW.
A

#125559 - 02/28/08 11:32 AM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
Blitz,

Best of luck in your interview. You've gotten a lot of good advice. I think practicing is good, but don't make your answers sound rote. As a guy who's conducted a lot of interviews, here's what I look for during the process:

The individual is well groomed and appropriately dressed.
Gives a good, firm, short handshake.
Speaks clearly and conversationally, this is not the time to drag out the thesaurus.
Keep your answers short and on point and as previously said, be sure to listen and understand the question, but don't be afraid to ask the interviewer to clarify the question if it was unclear.
Don't use jargon or tech speak unless you get asked questions in that manner; make sure you use terms correctly.
Make sure your CV and your oral responses jive. I'm always looking for discrepancies between what the piece of paper says and what the person says.
Be confident but not boastful; if you haven't done a particular job or skill before say so, but be sure to give examples of how you've learned on the job.
Honesty is best, but don't put yourself down.

Please, please, don't ask "How will this job help me get my next job?"

Remember that there's a reason you are being interviewed. They have a need and want to see if you can fill it. You need to make that decision an easy one for them by showing them that you can make their problems go away.

Finally, make sure they know that you want work not a job. You want to make a contribution to the organization and want to be part of their success; you don't want them to make you successfull.

When I hire people it's because they have both the technical and social skills to further the purpose of my company which is to further the purpose of my clients. If you can demonstrate that attitude to the interviewer you'll have a big advantage over others.

Again, good luck and go get 'em!

Andy

#125574 - 02/28/08 01:35 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi Blitz

Always remember you are only allowed only one small white lie on the resume or CV. wink

Good luck with the interview BTW..

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/28/08 01:47 PM)

#125575 - 02/28/08 01:35 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: Blitz]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Just how old are you??..."

According to my kids, older than dirt...

#125584 - 02/28/08 02:36 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: OldBaldGuy]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Blitz:

I suggest watching the movie "Tommy Boy" so you can get an idea of how not to do sales calls/interviews.

Good luck

Gary

#125601 - 02/28/08 05:12 PM Re: I'm Nervous [Re: GarlyDog]
LED Offline
Veteran

That reminds me of the Tide commercial where the guy's shirt stain keeps screaming every time he talks. Cracks me up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgtfC5LBAW4

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.