Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#125924 - 03/01/08 11:47 PM What is the safest place in the U.S.??
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
I know it's not here. Maybe Colorado? The movie "The Stand" comes to mind.

Every area has its own quirks. On that note what is the most unsafe area to live?

Chime in people.

BTW this has nothing to do with a Zombie outbreak.

Blitz

#125926 - 03/02/08 12:06 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Blitz]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I consider the Gulf Coast to be one of the safest areas to be for the following reasons and with the following exceptions:

Good:
1) Great area irt Nuclear Conflict-will receive lttle fallout and few targets within the region.
2) Irt weather-subject to severe weather including a few tornadoes (known areas), like most places, but we can see a hurricane coming from a week away. Occasional flooding can be a problem but pick your hacienda with care.
3) Geologically-very little activity (occasional 1's) that are cushioned/absorbed by the water/earth ratio.
4) Manmade problems-nuclear power plants-pick your hacienda with care. The same is true irt to transportation routes and junctions, just like anywhere else.
5) Plentiful food supply locally, year 'round.

Bad:
1) Coastal erosion and rising sea levels-My present home will be beach front property in 50 years.

Notes:
1) Hurricanes landing in my area lose at least 1 category of strength before they get to my home.

#125927 - 03/02/08 12:14 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Blitz]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
Originally Posted By: Blitz

Every area has its own quirks. On that note what is the most unsafe area to live?

Chime in people.

Blitz

You know somthing the rest of don't or are the zombie's just a local thing in your area?

#125929 - 03/02/08 12:26 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: raydarkhorse]
sodak Offline
Addict

I like living in Colorado. No flooding here, just winter storms and occasional summer tornadoes. Great weather most of the time.

#125936 - 03/02/08 01:10 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: raydarkhorse]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: raydarkhorse
Originally Posted By: Blitz

Chime in people.

Blitz

You know somthing the rest of don't or are the zombie's just a local thing in your area?

MuHuHuUuA Ah

#125944 - 03/02/08 01:44 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Blitz]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Might just be our "home" in the Sierra foothills in CA. In the local once a week newspaper, the biggest crime is usually mailbox vandalizm, and that is always on the same street. No weather extrems, no smog, no shopping centers, no dry cleaners, no housing tracts. Paradise in CA. I would tell you where it is, but then I would have to kill you...

#125957 - 03/02/08 02:24 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Blitz]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Safest place?

I don't think there is one.

Natural disasters don't care. Storms and tornadoes can pop up anywhere. Long dead fault lines can become active. As I understand it much of Kentucky is waiting for a Big One that will surely come and level the area sometime between now and the end of time. The Sierra Nevada is waiting for their own spectacular regional Big One.

I don't believe in these sorts of things but they aren't entirely impossible so they remain something to throw into the mix. If the "Nemesis" hypothesis, or one of its many variations, a large asteroid of some description aimed at earth, is correct or the claims of a cosmic 'death beam', an X-ray jet from a black hole which will be aimed at us soon, are true it really doesn't matter where you are everyone dies. If your on earth your pretty much screwed. I suppose if your lucky your near the epicenter and die quickly. The advice to "Embrace the horror" (preferably with chips, dip and your drink of choice in hand as you kick back in your lawn chair and watch the show)is about as good as any I guess.

Anywhere there are humans your risking random violence, jealous rage from jilted lovers, imported disease (children are little disease incubators and distributors), terrorism follows population concentrations as do economic collapses and riot.

Of course if you wishing to avoid untimely death on a more personal level, a far bigger risk than a nuke, avoid motor vehicles, exercise regularly and eat less meat. It still won't help if you slip in the tub and brain yourself on a nice bit of chrome but life is inherently dangerous. Nobody gets out of here alive.

You can specify any particular risk and find an area that is relatively immune to that risk but there is, IMHO, too much overlap between risks. In the end I think the best you can do is pick your poison and take your chances.

#125963 - 03/02/08 03:17 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I would vote for SW Oregon. Nice climate, a lot of stuff will grow there, decent soil in most places, good area for rainfall collection, not too much that would be attractive to terrorists, not much acid rain. Build a nice straw-bale house and ride out the earthquakes.

Sue

#125964 - 03/02/08 03:18 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Blitz]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
I consider it to be My house. Others with weapons, mental fortitude, health, military and police training, and the desire to do harm to those who would do harm to them might also have a safe resting place. I like the way you think, Blitz. Come on down.

Southern New Mexico rarely suffers a tornado, hasn;t had a flood in thousands and thousands of years, doesn;t have hurricanes or the geological propensity for earthquakes, hasn;t had an ice age in....well, ages..... is near two military bases filled with men and women who (see the desire to do harm statement above).......

All in all....southern New Mexico is maybe not as safe as my home, but it's in the neighborhood at least. ((( laugh )))

#125969 - 03/02/08 03:38 AM Re: What is the safest place in the U.S.?? [Re: Stretch]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I’m sure there are lots of places that are safe to live. Or as safe as you could expect someplace to be. Sure an asteroid could land on your home tonight, but it’s not something you can plan to avoid. But even for those of us that do live in a less then perfect place can still pay attention to weather and plan to deal with it and minimize the risk.

Here in Toledo the only real weather problems we have are tornados, they are extremely selective in who gets attacked so it’s not a big risk and the local Skywarn (Amateur radio emergency group) is very good at working with the national weather service and getting info out and tracking them. I have friends that live to go chase tornados and report on them. Listening to the local Skywarn repeater gives great up to date info on them.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 389 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.