Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#125795 - 02/29/08 05:26 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Dan_McI]
Westwindmike Offline

Loc: Middle Tennessee
I unpacked a space blanket that had been in my flight bag for several years. When I unfolded it, all the silver coating came off and left me with a clear sheet. Not very good.

#125802 - 02/29/08 06:14 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi falcon5000,

The problem is that nothing else weighing in at around 500 grams is really going to keep your warm either at 40F or 4C, except for perhaps an ultralighweight Down Bag with the very highest specifications.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_58&products_id=31

Even then it would require the use of a bivi bag designed with breathable materials, which is again another 300-400 grams, when used in conjuction with the sleeping bag in wet conditions and windy conditions. e.g Rab Survival Zone Bivi or Alpkit Hunka bivi

http://www.alpkit.com/hunka/

The main problem with the 'Blizzard Bag or Blanket' is the word 'Blizzard'. It claims a Tog rating of 8. This is a comfort temperature equivalent to a 1-2 season sleeping bag i.e. late spring/summer/early autumn. Certainly not a winter 'Blizzard' application product. These products are certainly an improvement on the conventional space or mylar blanket but there needs to be a reality check on its claimed usefulness in winter conditions.

From the Blizzard Survival Website;

Quote:
A report by the British Royal Marines has proved that Blizzard Survival Bags are up four times more effective in cold weather warfare conditions than current issue UK army survival bags.

The three day trials were conducted in Arctic Norway, at temperatures down to -13°C (8.6°F).

They also showed that our Reflexcell™ material kept soldiers warm up to three times longer than bivvy bags commonly used by civilian mountaineers.

The British Royal Marines are generally issued Snugpack Softie 12 osprey or Discovery 15 Sleeping Bags rated to -12C to -15C weighing in around 1.75 to 2.4 Kg together with a British Army Goretex Bivi bag (800 grams). I don't know what survival bag they are referring to. Your certainly correct about the 'hype' though.

I wouldn't rely on this type of product in temperatures less than 10C to keep myself warm and dry, but then being trussed up like a turkey has no appeal either.

If it was a choice between the army poncho and the 'Blizzard Blanket' in dire circumstances of cold, wet and windy conditions to keep myself from suffering a cold weather injury overnight in an emergency I would have to pick the 'Blizzard Blanket' over the poncho. (especially if the poncho was not made from a vapour permeable material)

#125820 - 02/29/08 09:44 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: raydarkhorse]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey,

I have never used or even seen a Blizzard Bag so I cannot comment, but appreciate the "Heads Up" on the lack of quality/effectiveness of this item.

I have used the heavy-duty space blankets/casuality blankets for many years and have found them to be an effective and useful piece of kit.

When hunting in the fall I would often carry a foam-type cushion to sit on to keep my butt dry and prevent me from moving. The trouble is that this is mostly a "single-use" item, so I put a space blanket in an orange nylon bag and now sit on it. It is just as comfortable as my old cushion and is much more multi-use (shelter, raincoat, signal sheet, rain-catch, heat reflector, gear tarp, etc).

These heavier space blankets are not as tough as a real tarp but I have used them a lot with just a few duct tape patches added.

Mike

#125824 - 02/29/08 11:18 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Am_Fear_Liath_Mor, I know what your saying about the Blizzard bags functionality, I still think a military poncho liner and poncho would be more durable and efficient as this piece of garbage. The use of reflectivity has it's uses but to this date there is nothing significantly available for size to weight and durability that I'm aware of. I had tried this bag over the hype and again was disappointed with it. In a life or death situation and you had this available it would help but would it last the whole night without tearing itself apart, I would be skeptic. Would I trust my life to it or recommend it, absolutely not. I would trust a military poncho liner and the poncho with it if it was raining or a 55 gallon trash bag with leaves and grass in it first. I carry a WM bag in my LRBOB kit but I was trying to find something for my EDC backpack BOB.

#125828 - 02/29/08 11:40 PM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I saw a similar product years ago and though it sounded too Murphoid for my tastes. Given the cited weight and size wasn't too much below what a good ultra-light sleeping bag is it seemed technologically redundant and unlikely to degrade with wear gracefully. That it is One-use-only tends to cement in my mind that it isn't very durable to begin with.

Interestingly I saw reviews of a similar product and they didn't have the sort of problems you have with it falling apart when opened. I suspect that the bag you got was old and the plastic in the laminate has degraded over time. I would package it up and send it back with a demand for a refund. It is unacceptable as shipped.

Thankfully you were made aware of its shortcomings before it was needed to fill a critical need. Shades of "Catch-22" where the first-aid kits and parachutes had been replaced with IOUs.

#125833 - 03/01/08 12:26 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Art_in_FL]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Thanks Art_in_FL, I think I'm going to take your advice and return it for a money back. I don't care for a replacement, just a refund. I think I'll stick with poncho liners fir now and my WM bag for everything else.

#125835 - 03/01/08 12:28 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Falcon 5000,

I have never used a poncho liner and do not know what a WM bag is, can you expand on this?

Thanks,

Mike

#125836 - 03/01/08 12:43 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: SwampDonkey]
Cyblade Offline
Journeyman

for 30.00 you can get 2 amk heatsheet emergency bivys. Heck I carry 2 of the 2 person heatsheets one to rig as a tarp or lean to cover or to waterproof a debris hut and one to wrap myself up in.

#125840 - 03/01/08 02:36 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi falcon5000,

The problem is that nothing else weighing in at around 500 grams is really going to keep your warm either at 40F or 4C, except for perhaps an ultralighweight Down Bag with the very highest specifications.

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25_58&products_id=31

Even then it would require the use of a bivi bag designed with breathable materials, which is again another 300-400 grams, when used in conjuction with the sleeping bag in wet conditions and windy conditions. e.g Rab Survival Zone Bivi or Alpkit Hunka bivi

http://www.alpkit.com/hunka/

The main problem with the 'Blizzard Bag or Blanket' is the word 'Blizzard'. It claims a Tog rating of 8. This is a comfort temperature equivalent to a 1-2 season sleeping bag i.e. late spring/summer/early autumn. Certainly not a winter 'Blizzard' application product. These products are certainly an improvement on the conventional space or mylar blanket but there needs to be a reality check on its claimed usefulness in winter conditions.

From the Blizzard Survival Website;

Quote:
A report by the British Royal Marines has proved that Blizzard Survival Bags are up four times more effective in cold weather warfare conditions than current issue UK army survival bags.

The three day trials were conducted in Arctic Norway, at temperatures down to -13°C (8.6°F).

They also showed that our Reflexcell™ material kept soldiers warm up to three times longer than bivvy bags commonly used by civilian mountaineers.

The British Royal Marines are generally issued Snugpack Softie 12 osprey or Discovery 15 Sleeping Bags rated to -12C to -15C weighing in around 1.75 to 2.4 Kg together with a British Army Goretex Bivi bag (800 grams). I don't know what survival bag they are referring to. Your certainly correct about the 'hype' though.

I wouldn't rely on this type of product in temperatures less than 10C to keep myself warm and dry, but then being trussed up like a turkey has no appeal either.

If it was a choice between the army poncho and the 'Blizzard Blanket' in dire circumstances of cold, wet and windy conditions to keep myself from suffering a cold weather injury overnight in an emergency I would have to pick the 'Blizzard Blanket' over the poncho. (especially if the poncho was not made from a vapour permeable material)

Speaking of 500g range down sleeping bags, I bought this one http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=69 last summer and have really liked it. It weighs 19 oz (~539 g). Depending on the conditions you're taking it into, a bivvy of some sort would be advisable; it doesn't retain heat well in wind and would be useless wet.

It does sound like a lot of hype on the "blizzard" bag. I'd love to know exactly how they tested it. What were the marines wearing? Did they put a sleeping bag or the like inside the bivvy? Wrapped in that flimsy piece of foil in -13C sounds like misery if not death unless you've got a lot of other things in that bag beyond your naked, shivering body.

#125842 - 03/01/08 03:24 AM Re: Blizzard Survival Blanket are garbage [Re: falcon5000]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: falcon5000
Thanks Art_in_FL, I think I'm going to take your advice and return it for a money back. I don't care for a replacement, just a refund. I think I'll stick with poncho liners fir now and my WM bag for everything else.

I would take it up with the company politely but firmly. If they fail to take care of it in a reasonable manner, assuming you make the purchase with a credit card, you may have some extra leverage.

Contact your credit card company and explain the situation. Several times I have had money refunded.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 407 Guests and 55 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.